Rental Rate Categories & Insurance Requirements
The following rate categories help to ensure that space and equipment are first and foremost for university-based events that primarily benefit UMass Boston faculty, staff, and students. In addition, they help to identify event partnerships and external programs that require insurance and event-contracts to manage liability and risk.
First Priority | No-Fee | For Space and/or Equipment
Meetings, conferences, and events that meet all of the criteria below will not be charged for event space or equipment rental. Fees may apply for overtime setup, police details, grounds/cleaning staff, or catering fees.
- Event Origin: Event was created/developed by UMass Boston. The space request was submitted by a UMass Boston department or registered student organization.
- Audience: Event is primarily for the UMass Boston community and 51% or more of the guests are faculty, staff or students.
- Funding and Payment: Event is supported entirely by university funds. All costs paid via university budget number.
- No Partnership: Event is not planned or supported through a partnership with an outside organization(s).
Second Priority | University Rate | Rental Fees for Space and/or Equipment
Meetings, conferences, and events that meet one or more of the criteria below will be charged for space and equipment rental. Space rental includes setup/breakdown, tables, chairs, and any AV systems permanently installed in the space. Additional fees may apply for special equipment, police details, grounds/cleaning staff, or catering fees.
- Event Origin: Space request was submitted by a UMass Boston department or registered student organization and the event was developed in partnership with an external organization.
- Audience: Event is not primarily for the university community and 51% or more of the participants are non-university guests/attendees.
- Funding and Payment: Event is supported in-part or in-whole by outside sponsorship, admission fees, registration charges, fundraising, or ticket sales. All event costs paid via university budget number.
- Partnership: Through partnership or collaboration, the university department is providing a non-university organization shared access to space and resources.
The university offers two conference and event spaces without rental fees. Please review our criteria for more information.
Third Priority | Standard Rate | Rental Fees for Space and/or Equipment
The program, meeting, or event is an initiative of a private company, nonprofit, or individual. The following criteria apply to Standard Rate events:
Nonprofit: Nonprofit 501c3 organizations will receive a 10% discount* off the Standard Rate.
Employee/Alumnus: Employees/Alumni hosting a personal event (retirement party, wedding, family reunion, private reception, etc.) will receive a 15% discount*.
*Space Only: Discount applies to space only. Events may also carry fees for equipment and staff such as staging, risers, dance floors, wireless AV systems, police details, etc.
Please contact us if you have questions about our rate categories or need assistance evaluating your event to determine if fees apply. If fees apply, a customized cost proposal will be generated for your review.
Insurance | University Rate
Events classified at the University Rate are considered to be university events and are covered under the self-insured status of the university. The university does not require additional proof of insurance.
Insurance | Standard Rate
Client shall carry and maintain comprehensive general liability insurance, insuring against liability for bodily and personal injury to or wrongful death of persons, or damage or losses of property occurring in or about the premises arising out of the user's use or occupancy thereof, in an amount not less than:
- $1,000,000 Bodily Injury
- $1,000,000 Personal Injury Liability
- $1,000,000 Property Damage Liability