Information for New Students
- Download your New Student Health Requirements Checklist
- Text UMB to 40691 and get Student Health 101 directly to your smart phone
- Out of state students attending UMass Boston online may not purchase the SHP
Welcome to UMass Boston!
University Health Services is committed to providing quality medical services and education to enhance and promote the health and well being of the university community. As part of this commitment there are certain requirements for all new students. For your convenience, a detailed checklist of these requirements is available here.
- Please read the immunization requirements carefully and be sure to submit your completed immunization form by August 31. Failure to submit this form will result in an administrative hold being placed on your WISER account.
- Immunization Form
Tuberculosis Risk Assessment
Please complete the Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire and Risk Assessment Form. If you answer no to all the questions on the first page (Screening Questionnaire) just sign at the bottom and submit to our office. If you answer yes to any question on the first page please have a medical provider fill out the second and third page (Risk Assessment Form) and submit all three pages to our office.
Mandatory Health Insurance
- Health Insurance Requirement: Massachusetts State law requires students enrolled in 75% of full-time curriculum in any Massachusetts institution of higher education to participate in a school-sponsored qualifying Student Health Program (“SHP”) or an alternate health plan with comparable coverage. Learn more here.
- FAQs about the Student Health Plan and Mandatory Health Insurance for College Students
- Student Health Insurance Plan Waiver: Students who are at least 75% of full time are automatically billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan. Students may opt out of the SHP by completing a waiver indicating that they have comparable coverage under another plan. Learn more here.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is the current underwriter for the University of Massachusetts Boston SHP. With this plan you can receive your care right on campus at University Health Services (UHS) General Medicine Department. The benefits of this include: No copay, no co-insurance and no annual deductible for services provided by UHS.
- For plan specific information, policy documents please click here.
- To print an ID Card click here.