Information for New Students
- Download your New Student Health Requirements Checklist
- Text UMB to 40691 and get Student Health 101 directly to your smart phone
- Out of state students attending UMass Boston online may not purchase the SHP
Welcome to UMass Boston!
University Health Services is committed to providing quality medical services and education to enhance and promote the health and well being of the university community. As part of this commitment there are certain requirements for all new students. For your convenience, a detailed checklist of these requirements is available here.
- Please read the immunization requirements carefully and be sure to submit your completed immunization form by August 31. Failure to submit this form will result in an administrative hold being placed on your WISER account.
- Immunization Form
Tuberculosis Risk Assessment
Please complete the Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire and Risk Assessment Form. If you answer no to all the questions on the first page (Screening Questionnaire) just sign at the bottom and submit to our office. If you answer yes to any question on the first page please have a medical provider fill out the second and third page (Risk Assessment Form) and submit all three pages to our office.
Mandatory Health Insurance
- Health Insurance Requirement: Massachusetts State law requires students enrolled in 75% of full-time curriculum in any Massachusetts institution of higher education to participate in a school-sponsored qualifying Student Health Program (“SHP”) or an alternate health plan with comparable coverage. Learn more here.
- FAQs about the Student Health Plan and Mandatory Health Insurance for College Students
- Student Health Insurance Plan Waiver: Students who are at least 75% of full time are automatically billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan. Students may opt out of the SHP by completing a waiver indicating that they have comparable coverage under another plan. Learn more here.
- Aenta Student Health Plan: Aetna Student Health is the current underwriter for the University of Massachusetts Boston SHP. For plan specific information, policy documents or to print a temporary insurance card click here.
UMass Boston Student Health Fee
The mandatory student health fee is included in the Combined Mandatory Fees which are charged on a per-credit basis. This fee funds a variety of programs offered by University Health Services, including UHS Health Education and Wellness programs and activities and services available through the UHS Counseling Center.
About University Health Services
Our multidisciplinary healthcare team is composed of nurse practitioners, consulting physicians, psychologists, social workers, registered nurses, laboratory technicians, and health educators supported by clinical and administrative support staff.
UHS General Medicine provides preventive care such as immunization updates, tuberculosis screenings, women's/men's health and sports physicals, urgent care for minor illness and injuries, international travel vaccinations and services, infection control and evaluations, and flu shots. Click here to learn more.
- Appointments: General Medicine offers same day appointments. Call 617.287.5660 to schedule an appointment with a UHS healthcare provider
- Medical Insurance and Billing: General Medicine accepts many insurance plans, please check your plan to determine your coverage and copayments. more
The UHS Counseling Center provides consultations, assessment, crisis intervention, focused therapy, education/outreach, and referral assistance for mental health symptoms and concerns. Click here to learn more.
- All enrolled UMass Boston students, regardless of insurance, are eligible for services provided by the Counseling Center. at no charge. To arrange to speak with a clinician please call 617-287-5690.
The UHS Health Education and Wellness program provides health information and outreach campaigns and programs focused on high risk areas that impact college aged populations such as alcohol and other drugs, stress management, mental health problems including depression, stress and anxiety, mental health prevention strategies, HIV and STI prevention and tobacco cessation. Click here to learn more.
Have you been admitted as an undergraduate to UMass Boston? Be sure to join us for Beacon Beginnings this summer. Read More