Students - Logging on to the UMass Boston email system for the first time
The UMass Boston email system provides email, calendar, Microsoft Office apps, and 50 GB of storage for you. In addition, your username and password give you access to WISER, Blackboard, wifi, Atomic Learning, and more. This page will get you started in five easy steps!
- Your username will be mailed to you, either to your existing email address if you provided it to us, or to your home via U.S. mail. If you did not receive this letter, but you do know your student ID number (UMS number), you can look up your email address at our Secure Access ID Lookup page.
Your email address will be a combination of your legal first name and last name, a three digit number, and @umb.edu.
Your password will be in the following format: First letter of your last name (uppercase) + second letter of your last name (lowercase) + your date of birth as eight numbers (MMDDYYYY).
Example: Sandy Beach, born Feb. 1, 1990, might have an email address of firstname.lastname@example.org and an initial password of Be02011990.
- Go to our self-service password management page at https://mypassword.umb.edu (there is also a link to this address on the webmail page in step 5, in the yellow box) and review the password policy at the bottom. Make sure the password you choose follows those guidelines and click “Change my Password” to change your default password to a secure personal password. Log in with your username (just the part of your email address before the @) and default password, and either use the Generated password at the top or enter your own by clicking the button next to "Enter" and typing your new password into the two boxes on the right. When you are ready, click "Change Password."
- Once you have changed your password and received confirmation that it was changed, click “Return to Main Menu now” and click “Edit my Profile” to set up your profile (security questions). Select three security questions, and provide an answer for each. Be careful typing, as the system does not show you what you are typing! Be sure to remember your answers. Without them there could be a significant delay in resetting your password in the future. Do not use answers people could find out on the internet: for instance, don't use your pet's name or your favorite flavor of ice cream if your Facebook page says "here is a picture of me and my dog Biggles enjoying our favorite - pistachio ice cream!" These security questions can be used in the future with the "Reset My password" function if you forget your password or it expires. (Note: passwords expire after 180 days. You should receive a reminder email shortly before your password expires, but make a note of the date in case you do not.)
- Click “Update” to save your profile.
- Go to http://webmail.umb.edu and click on “Logon.” Log in with your full UMass Boston email address (including the @umb.edu) and new password you created in step two.
If you receive the error: Something went wrong. :-(
This simply means that your mailbox has not been created yet due to a delay in the cloud. Try again in 60-90 minutes. You will still be able to use your username and password to access WISER.
- At the next screen, select the language you prefer for the email interface and choose the time zone you are in. We are at GMT–05:00 Eastern Standard Time (US and Canada).
You should now be logged in to web mail. For an introduction to Office 365 web mail and its features, see Getting started in Outlook Web App for Office 365. You can use a mail program on your computer or mobile device to check your mail. See one of these guides from Microsoft for details.
Remember to sign out when you're done by choosing "Sign out" from the menu that appears when you click your name. (Always log out of WISER, Blackboard, etc., when you have finished, as well, to protect your privacy and to make it easier to sign in next time.)
You can see full instructions for using the password change page at our Managing Your Password page.
You can use Microsoft Office web apps or download a copy of Microsoft office for your Mac or PC. Instructions here.
If you need further help, you can send an email to ITServiceDesk@umb.edu or call (617) 287-5220. We are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. summers) Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and times the Healey Library is closed.