CrashPlan Backup Service
In past surveys, the one consistent request that faculty and staff had was to have available a desktop/laptop backup solution. After a thorough evaluation of systems in the market and keeping security as our top priority, we have selected CrashPlan from Code42.
What is CrashPlan?
CrashPlan PROe (by Code 42) is the enterprise version of CrashPlan, which is simple to use, highly efficient, and very secure. You can back up and restore the data yourself, accessing your data anytime using a web browser or desktop client.
This backup service is a cloud-based solution, in that all the data that is backed up is stored in the cloud so you can access it from anywhere there is internet access. We have vetted this solution thoroughly from a security perspective and the data is encrypted in transit as well as at rest. CrashPlan offers the most robust, secure and sophisticated features in backup service today.
What are some of the Key Features or advantages of using CrashPlan?
- Use your UMass Boston email credentials for secure access
- Continuous, invisible backup – all backup is performed in the background. The initial backup may take several days; however, after that, only files that have been modified will be backed up.
- Unlimited backup – there is no limit as to how much data from your computer(s) can be backed up.
- Up to four (4) devices per user, including mobile phones and tablets – one license allows you to backup up to 4 devices – a desktop, laptop, tablets and smartphones.
- Self-service to back up and restore data anytime, anywhere on any device – log in to CrashPlan from any browser using your UMass Boston email credentials to restore your files while traveling, at home, or on campus
- Data is encrypted with strict security standards and use a robust, industry-standard encryption process.
- Automatic email notifications for missed backups
CrashPlan supports devices running modern versions of Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux client operating systems.
Learn more about CrashPlan
More information about CrashPlan can be found on these Code 42 product support web pages:
- Questions About Settings
- Questions About Capabilities
- Questions About How CrashPlan Works
- Questions About What Can Be Backed Up
To order CrashPlan service
Faculty and staff should email the IT Service Desk (ITServiceDesk@umb.edu) to have CrashPlan installed on university-owned computers and devices. Each license allows the user to install Crash Plan on 4 devices.
There is a nominal cost associated with this service. For the first nine months, there will be no fee; however, starting July 2015, if you wish to use this service, there will be a nominal cost of $80 per year.
Once the desktop team receives your request, we will schedule a time to help you install CrashPlan on university-owned devices.
- CrashPlan PROe is intended to protect employment-related data stored on university-owned desktops and laptops over any internet connection, for users with active UMass Boston email accounts.
- The CrashPlan PROe backup service is not a substitute for a long-term storage or data archive strategy. It is intended to provide a measure of security when files are accidentally deleted, a hardware component fails or a computer is lost.
Please email any questions to the IT Service Desk (ITServiceDesk@umb.edu) or call 617.287.5220.
To order CrashPlan Service
Faculty and staff should create a ticket with IT service desk (ITServiceDesk@umb.edu) to have CrashPlan installed on university-owned computers and devices. Each license allows the user to install Crash Plan on 4 devices.
To access your backup
Self-service to back up and restore data anytime, anywhere on any device – log in to CrashPlan from any browser using your UMass Boston email credentials (first.last) to restore your files while traveling, at home, or on campus.