Hardware - Repair, Support

All inquiries for the PC Repair Shop should go through the IT Service Desk:

Services we provide:

The Information Technology Division picks up unused, university-owned (including professional development funded) computer equipment containing data storage from any department or office on campus provided you have completed the paperwork requirements dictated by the Property Department and initiated the procedure through the IT Service Desk.

Equipment Turn-in

The IT Department will pick up surplused computer equipment for the purpose of purging data.  This equipment includes but is not limited to the following categories: computer towers, laptops, servers, notebooks, portable hard drives, backup tapes, iMacs, Blackberries, and iPhones, as well as other equipment that may hold or store data.

For more information, contact the IT Service Desk.


Recycling unwanted equipment

Do you hate to throw away a computer that may still be usable?

Are you looking to get rid of old or non-working and not-cost-effective-to-repair university-owned computers? Maybe the computer will be useful elsewhere in the university community.

The University of Massachusetts Boston uses two processes for the disposal of older or no longer working computing equipment. Both processes can be initiated by contacting the Facilities Department or IT Service Desk. Surplus and disposal goes through Facilities to the Property Department. For more information, click here.

We would like to ask you to consider a third option. If you have business class desktop computers or laptops, please consider option 3: transferring them to the IT Department. The IT Department will determine whether these items can be repurposed and reissued to other faculty, staff or departments for which they would be an upgrade or improvement from assets currently available to them.

Here is the good news. By asset transferring them, you will only need one form. IT will help you complete the paperwork for equipment that we might be able to use. Please contact the PC Repair Center for assistance with filling out this form. At that point you would create a service request with the IT Service Desk for an asset transfer to the IT Department. The IT Department can then pick up the equipment directly.  Any further documentation, whether to have the items surplused and disposed of if they prove unusable, or reissued to another department should they be of use, will be taken care of by IT without any further action on your part.

For your convenience the three options are listed below.

  1. The PRO-02-Moveable Equipment Surplus form is used for computer-related equipment that does not contain data storage, such as monitors, keyboards and mice. These items are picked up directly by the Property Department.
  2. The PRO-01-IT Data Storage form is for computer equipment or printers that contain data storage and may require additional action to ensure the destruction of any data remaining on a data storage device. 
  3. The PRO-06-Internal Transfer Sheet for transfers from one department to another. With this option IT will pick up the system including the mice, keyboards and monitors. We will wipe any hard drives which might contain data with a disk sanitizer utilizing the DOD clear standard and then reinstall and reconfigure a current operating system and applications. 

These forms can all be found at the Property Department forms page.