iClicker / REEF Classroom Polling
What is Classroom Polling?
Classroom polling can be used to facilitate more meaningful and interactive learning experiences, by allowing instructors to;
- gauge prior student knowledge, before covering new material,
- provide student self assessment opportunities,
- encourage student discussion and,
- foster peer instruction.
Classroom polling for discussion groups and peer instruction
Classroom polling tools can facilitate peer instruction using the following model:
Peer instruction can be facilitated by creating discussion groups and allowing students to discuss solutions to problems as a group prior to voting. Instructors can also allow students to vote individually first before working in groups. A class discussion follows where the instructor can display comparison charts of voting results, before and after peer discussion. See an example of peer instruction in action: Prediction Questions, Simulations, and Times for Telling in #Math216
What is iClicker / REEF Polling?
- REEF Polling by iClicker allows students to use laptops, smart phones or other mobile devices to respond to questions posed by their instructors in class. Students must purchase a REEF polling subscription from reef-enducation.com in order to use REEF Polling. REEF Polling does not require any special hardware, however instructors will need to make sure that the classroom they will be teaching in has WIFI access. Please contact the IT Service Desk to verify the classroom you are assigned has Wi-Fi access prior to using REEF Polling.
- Getting Started with REEF Polling
- iClickers are easy-to-use hand-held remote devices that students use to respond to questions posed by their instructors. Students may purchase iClickers from the campus bookstore, provided they have been ordered ahead of time by their instructors. iClickers are widely used at UMass Boston. There are many iClicker Ready Classrooms on campus, which allow the iClicker remotes to communicate with the iClicker polling software. Hybrid Polling allows students to use both the iClicker remotes along with mobile devices to respond to instructor questions.
- Getting Started with iClicker and Hybrid Polling
Getting Help with iClicker/REEF Polling
For help or questions about iClicker or REEF Polling, contact eLearning & Instructional Support by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.