iClicker/Personal Response Systems
What are iClickers?
iClickers, sometimes referred to as classroom response systems or personal response systems, can be used to facilitate more meaningful and interactive learning experiences, by allowing instructors to;
- gauge prior student knowledge,
- provide student self assessment opportunities,
- encourage student discussion and,
- foster peer instruction.
How it works: Students respond to questions posed by their instructors with easy-to-use hand-held remote devices. When the instructor starts the polling, the iClicker system collects all of the student votes. When polling is finished, the instructor displays a chart of the graphical/statistical distribution of votes to the students via the classroom projector screen.
iClickers for discussion groups and peer instruction
iClickers can be powerful peer instruction tools.
Peer instruction can be facilitated by creating discussion groups and allowing students to discuss solutions to problems as a group prior to voting. Instructors can also allow students to vote individually first before working in groups. A class discussion follows where the instructor can display comparison charts of voting results, before and after peer discussion. See an example of peer instruction in action: Prediction Questions, Simulations, and Times for Telling in #Math216
What do I need to use iClickers?
- A classroom equipped with a computer and projector
- iClicker base/receiver*
- iClicker software. Faculty can download the iClicker software at iClicker.com. Select "Downloads and release notes" under Product Updates from the Products menu.The software is available in Mac and PC format.
- Instructor remote (optional)
- Students with iClicker remotes (purchased individually from the campus bookstore)*
*To borrow an iClicker base, contact Media Services at 617-287-5960. iClicker bases/receivers are also available in several of the TEC 2 classrooms.
*Instructors must order iClicker remotes for their students ahead of time from the campus bookstore where they may be purchased by students along with required texts for courses.
NOTE: We are not supporting iClicker GO at the present time due to wireless network constraints.
How to use iClicker
Attend a training session - View current schedules and sign up for an iClicker workshop.
Polling the Audience - Getting Started Guide.
Grading and Viewing Reports - Viewing iClicker voting data and editing grading settings.
Linking students to their iClicker remotes
Students may start voting with their iClicker remotes on the first day of class. iClicker keeps track of individual student voting data via the ClickerID printed on the back of each remote.
To record voting data for individual students so they can receive class participation points, student names must be linked to their iClicker remotes. You will be able to link student remotes provided the students have;
- used their iClicker remotes to vote at least once in the classroom and,
- have registered their iClicker remotes.
Many instructors wait to complete this step until after the add/drop period has ended so that class rosters will be up to date. When students add or drop, iClicker remotes must be linked again.
There are three options for linking students to their remotes depending on use of Blackboard and class size;
- Using iClicker Integrate for Blackboard
- Manual option (for courses not using Blackboard)
- Roll call - for small classes (under 40 students) not using Blackboard
What is iClicker Integrate?
iClicker Integrate allows you to easily integrate your iClicker polling data with your Blackboard Learn courses using a friendly wizard interface that guides you through the process. The software;
- allows students to register their iClickers within Blackboard Learn.
- allows you to sync iClicker remotes with the Blackboard Learn roster.
- allows you to easily access iClicker polling data with the Blackboard Learn grade center.
A step by step guide to using iClicker Integrate with Blackboard Learn.
Questions about iClicker Integrate
- How can I see which students have registered their iClicker remotes in Blackboard Learn?
Viewing the iClicker Instructor Report in Blackboard Learn
How do I import iClicker polling data into Blackboard Learn?
Uploading iClicker polling data into Blackboard Learn
- The iClicker remote screen reports there is "No Base" when a student tries to vote.
The student needs to change the frequency setting on their iClicker remote to the one the instructor is using. If your instructor hasn't changed the frequency on the base, the default frequency is AA. You'll want to check in with your instructor to see if s/he has changed it.
View Instructions for changing the frequency on the iClicker remote, for students.
- A student is unable to register his/her iClicker remote because the iClicker ID is no longer visible.
View Instructions for How to retrieve your iClicker ID.
Getting Help with iClicker
For help with Questions about iClicker, including obtaining your iClicker ID (if it is no longer readable) may be directed to Theresa Miller by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at at 617-287-5208.