iClicker / Classroom Polling
What is Classroom Polling?
Classroom polling allows instructors to ask a question and instantly receive responses from all the students in class. The instructor starts a polling session by clicking the start button on the polling program, while a polling application collects all of the student voting information. When polling is finished, the instructor can display a chart of the graphical/statistical distribution of votes to the students via the classroom projector screen. Participation points can be awarded to students for answering the questions.
Classoom polling can be used to facilitate more meaningful and interactive learning experiences, by allowing instructors to;
- gauge prior student knowledge, before covering new material,
- provide student self assessment opportunities,
- encourage student discussion and,
- foster peer instruction.
Classroom polling for discussion groups and peer instruction
Classroom polling tools can facilitate peer instruction, using the following model:
Peer instruction can be facilitated by creating discussion groups and allowing students to discuss solutions to problems as a group prior to voting. Instructors can also allow students to vote individually first before working in groups. A class discussion follows where the instructor can display comparison charts of voting results, before and after peer discussion. See an example of peer instruction in action: Prediction Questions, Simulations, and Times for Telling in #Math216
What are iClickers/ REEF Polling?
iClickers are easy-to-use hand-held remote devices that students use to respond to questions posed by their instructors. Students may purchase iClickers from the campus Bookstore, provided they have been ordered ahead of time by their instructors. iClickers are widely used at UMass Boston. Many classrooms on campus have iClicker bases installed, which allow the iClicker remotes to communicate with the iClicker polling software.
REEF Polling by IClicker is the mobile polling option supported on campus. Students may use laptops, smart phones or other mobile devices to respond to questions posed in class. Students must purchase a REEF polling subscription from reef-enducation.com in order to use REEF Polling. REEF Polling does not require any special hardware, however instructors will need to make sure that the classroom they will be teaching in has WIFI access. Please contact the IT Service Desk to verify the classroom you are assigned has WIFI access prior to using REEF Polling.
Hybrid Polling allows students to use both the iClicker remotes along with mobile devices to respond to instructor questions. Instructors who are using hybrid polling can use REEF Polling software to support both iClicker remotes and mobile devices.
Getting Started with REEF Polling
What is needed:
- A classroom equipped with a computer and projector.
- A classroom with WIFI Access.*
- REEF Polling software: Faculty can download the REEF Polling at reef-education.com.
- Students with smart phones, mobile or laptops and REEF Polling subscriptions, purchased at reef-education.com.
*Please contact the IT Service Desk, prior to use of REEF Polling to be sure you are teaching in a classroom with WIFI access.
How to use REEF Polling
Getting Started with iClicker
What is needed:
- A classroom equipped with a computer and projector
- iClicker base/receiver*
- iClicker software. Faculty can download the iClicker software using the following links:
- Instructor remote (optional)
- Students with iClicker remotes (purchased individually from the campus bookstore)*
*Instructors must order iClicker remotes for their students ahead of time from the campus bookstore where they may be purchased by students along with required texts for courses.
How to use iClicker
Linking students to their iClicker remotes
Students may start voting with their iClicker remotes on the first day of class. iClicker keeps track of individual student voting data via the iClicker ID printed on the back of each remote.
To record voting data for individual students so they can receive class participation points, student names must be linked to their iClicker remotes. You will be able to link student remotes until;
- Students have used their iClicker remotes to vote at least once in the classroom and,
- Students have registered their iClicker remotes.
Many instructors wait to complete this step until after the add/drop period has ended so that class rosters will be up to date. When students add or drop, iClicker remotes must be linked again.
There are two options for linking students to their remotes;
What is iClicker Integrate?
iClicker Integrate allows you to easily integrate your iClicker polling data with your Blackboard Learn courses using a friendly wizard interface that guides you through the process. The software:
- allows students to register their iClickers within Blackboard Learn.
- allows you to sync iClicker remotes with the Blackboard Learn roster.
- allows you to easily access iClicker polling data with the Blackboard Learn grade center.
A step by step guide to integrating iClicker with your Blackboard Learn course.
Questions about iCllicker Integrate
- How can I tell which students have registered their iClicker remotes in Blackboard Learn?
Viewing the iClicker Instructor Report in Blackboard Learn
- How do I download iClicker polling data?
Exporting iClicker Polling Data
- How can I upload iClicker polling data to Blackboard Learn?
Sync iClicker Polling Data with Blackboard Learn
Getting Help with iClicker/REEF Polling
For help or questions about iClicker or REEF Polling, contact eLearning & Instructional Support by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.