What is SafeAssign?
SafeAssign is an anti-plagiarism tool that is integrated within the Blackboard Assignment tool. Instructors may set up SafeAssignments by enabling SafeAssign when creating an assignment. Once the student submits an assignment, the program uses a text matching algorithm to compare the student’s submitted work to several online database sources. The program creates an originality report that is viewable by the instructor and students if the option is selected. Optionally, an instructor can allow students to use SafeAssign as an "originality checker" as one of many efforts to educate students about plagiarism.
SafeAssign compares submitted works against:
- Internet sources (powered by Windows Live search www.live.com)
- ProQuest ABI/Inform database of over 2.5 million articles
- SafeAssign Institutional Database used at UMass Boston only
- SafeAssign Global Reference Database Students voluntarily submit papers, used across institutions
What do I need to use SafeAssign?
SafeAssign is available for use only within Blackboard. To use SafeAssign you need:
- A Blackboard Account
- A Blackboard Course Section
SafeAssign as an Originality Checker
Faculty have the option of setting up a SafeAssignment to allow students to view SafeAssign reports, using the tool as an originality checker, as one of many efforts to educate students about plagiarism.
SafeAssign Learning Resources
- Creating a SafeAssignment
- Viewing a SafeAssign Report
- Using the DirectSubmit option for SafeAssign
- Information about SafeAssign for Students
- Atomic Learning Videos - Login to Atomic Learning with your full UMass Boston email address and password.
Getting Help with SafeAssign
Questions about SafeAssign may be directed to the Learning Management Systems Group at email@example.com.