What is Turnitin?
Turnitin is a plagiarism prevention tool available within Blackboard. Turnitin compares student submitted papers to one of the largest database available for online sources. The Turnitin database includes periodicals, journal articles, and previously submitted student papers, as well as indexed web content. Turnitin produces a detailed originality report that can be customized and viewed by instructors and students if desired. Turnitin can be implemented as one of many efforts to educate students about plagiarism.
Turnitin has a feature rich grading tool called GradeMark. The easy to use drag and drop interface allows you to add text comments to papers and save "QuickMark" comments for future use. Audio comments can also be included. Additionally, GradeMark gives instructors the ability to create grading rubrics for assignments, select the appropriate scale for each criteria, and automatically tally up Turnitin assignment grades for each student. An iPad app is also available that allows you to use GradeMark.
Turnitin and Privacy
- Turnitin does not share any personally identifiable student information (name, email address, score, school) and only archives student papers for textual comparison purposes.
- Turnitin is a secure service which "maintains extremely high levels of privacy and security through the use of SSL encryption, redundant servers, sophisticated firewalls, multiple data centers, and privacy and security audits."
- "Turnitin complies with FERPA, COPPA, the Safe Harbor privacy and security standards."
- Read more about Turnitin's privacy and see answers to legal FAQs.
What do I need to use Turnitin?
Turnitin is available for use within Blackboard. To use Turnitin you need to use Turnitin Direct as opposed to the Blackboard assignment tool.
How do I use Turnitin?
The Turnitin Direct 2.5 Instructor User Manual provides detailed instructions for using Turnitin within the Blackboard environment.
Avoiding Plagiarism Resources
- Citing Sources and Academic Writing - a guide designed to help students with academic writing, avoiding plagiarism, citation styling, and citation aides.
- Atomic Learning Videos - Login to Atomic Learning with your full UMass Boston email address and password.