VPN stands for "virtual private network." It is a secure way to gain access to UMass Boston resources that are usually only available on campus. (See below for a list of important resources that do NOT require VPN.)
The UMass Boston VPN service is available to any UMB employee and is strictly for university-related business. Basic VPN access allows use of library databases and some servers. For extended privileges, including file shares and remote access to your office computer, contact the IT Service Desk.
Installation and use
VPN user manuals are available for:
VPN software is available for:
Resources that do not require VPN
- Office 365 features, including OneDrive and Office apps
- WISER (student Information system) – self-service access, entering or accessing grades, etc.
- Library databases (with UMBrella login)
- HR Direct (HCM – self-service/back office processing )
- Finance – self-service access
- Finance – back office processing
- ECRT – self-service & back office processing
- R25 / S25 / X25
Questions about VPN
Call the IT Service Desk at 7-5220 or email ITServiceDesk@umb.edu to find out if you need VPN
Download and complete the form. Once signed please drop it off at the IT Service Desk located on the 3rd floor of the library.