VPN stands for "virtual private network." It is a special way to gain access to UMass Boston servers and requires special authorization.
The UMass Boston Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides a remote link to University's network resources, including secure production systems. The VPN is a web-based solution that allows authorized full time staff and faculty to access these systems from any remote location with an Internet-connected computer. The use of VPN access must be approved by the department head and is strictly for university-related business.
Important: read Working from Home for more information, including security precautions you must take to use VPN.
VPN user manuals are available for both Windows XP and Windows Vista / 7. If you intend to remotely control your office PC; you should read page 15 (in XP document) or page 18 (in Vista and 7 document) to configure your office PC first.
Name of applications which VPN IS NOT required to access from off-campus
- R25 / S25 / X25
- WISER (student Information system) – self-service access, entering or accessing grades
- Finance – self-service access
- Finance – back office processing
- HR Direct (HCM – self-service/back office processing )
- ECRT – self-service & back office processing
- Blackboard, Wiki
- Email (Note: If you are overseas and your mail client uses IMAP or POP to access email, you will need VPN access)
Questions about VPN
Call the IT Service Desk at 7-5220 or email ITServiceDesk@umb.edu to find out if you need VPN
Download and complete the form. Once signed please drop it off at the IT Service Desk located on the 3rd floor of the library.