Email Communications for Students
This policy is designed to formalize the use of electronic mail for official University of Massachusetts Boston communications.
UMass Boston has established email as a means of sending official information to students enrolled in credit courses. To support this objective, the university has provided an email account to all UMass Boston students.
- The university has the right to expect that such communications will be received and read in a timely fashion.
- A student may have email redirected from his/her official UMass Boston address (@students.umb.edu) to another email address at his or her own risk. The university will not be responsible for the handling of email by outside vendors or by departmental servers.
- Students are expected to check their university email on a frequent and consistent basis to ensure that they are staying current with all official communications.
- The provost has overall responsibility for enforcement of this policy.
- The Division of Information Technology (IT) is responsible for distributing and maintaining official UMass Boston email addresses.
- Students are responsible for activating their email account and service and accessing their email on a regular basis.
- The content of official communications is the responsibility of the originating department.
- Individuals using electronic mail are expected to adhere to the UMass Boston Acceptable Use Policy.