Email Communications for Students
This policy is designed to formalize the use of electronic mail for official University of Massachusetts Boston communications.
UMass Boston has established e-mail as a means of sending official information to students enrolled in credit courses. To support this objective, the University has provided an e-mail account to all UMass Boston students.
- The University has the right to expect that such communications will be received and read in a timely fashion.
- A student may have e-mail redirected from his/her official UMass Boston address (@students.umb.edu) to another e-mail address at his or her own risk. The University will not be responsible for the handling of e-mail by outside vendors or by departmental servers.
- Students are expected to check their University e-mail on a frequent and consistent basis to ensure that they are staying current with all official communications.
- The Provost has overall responsibility for enforcement of this policy.
- The Division of Information Technology (IT) is responsible for distributing and maintaining official UMass Boston e-mail addresses.
- Students are responsible for activating their e-mail account and service, and accessing their e-mail on a regular basis.
- The content of official communications is the responsibility of the originating department.
- Individuals using electronic mail are expected to adhere to the UMass Boston Acceptable Use Policy.