Research & Publications
In 2016, the William Joiner Institute was awarded a grant from the International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX) to build a collaborative training and research relationship with the Sulaymaniyah Polytechnic University (SPU) and the Kurdistan Institute for Strategic Studies and Scientific Research (KISSR) in the Kurdish Autonomous Region of Iraq over the next year. Click here to learn more.
Please check our ScholarWorks page to access digital copies of past research and publications.
- Stoskopf, A., Bermudez, A. (2016). The sounds of silence: American history textbook representations of non-violence and the Abolition Movement. Journal of Peace Education. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17400201.2016.1230543.
- Click here to contact the author and request the full-text article
- Tsyrlina-Spady, T. and Stoskopf, A. (2017). Chapter Two. "Russian History Textbooks in the Putin Era: Heroic Leaders Demand Loyal Citizens". In Zadja, J.; Tsyrlina-Spady, T.; Lovorn, M. (Eds). Globalisation and Historiography of National Leaders Symbolic Representations in School Textbooks (pp. 15-33) Berlin, Germany. Print.
- Click here to contact the author and request the full-text chapter
Conference Presentations and Working Papers:
- “Examining Textbook Representations and Teacher Understandings of Political Violence in National Histories: The Trail of Tears” Alan Stoskopf (2016 Conference Presentation)
- 42nd Association for Moral Education Annual Conference, Harvard Graduate School of Education, December 8 2016
- "Veterans and Trauma in Group Therapy", Cary Rothenburger (2016 Working Paper)
- Click here to contact the author with feedback on this paper.
The William Joiner Institute's Translation Project continues this year, led by Nguyen Ba Chung in collaboration with several associates. Currently, the project is focused on translation of Tue Sy’s poetry, in collaboration with Martha Collins; Tran Dang Khoa’s poetry, in collaboration with Fred Marchant; and Thu Bon’s poetry, in collaboration with Kevin Bowen. Sam Hamill and Nguyen Duy are also in the process of translating Vietnamese Zen poetry from the 15th to the 19th centuries to follow the success of the Institute’s translation of Early Vietnamese Zen Poetry, 10th to 14th centuries. Over the course of the Institute's history, the poetry and translation work of Bruce Weigl have also been hugely instrumental.
Poetry Publications and Translations from the William Joiner Institute:
- A Hunger for Peace by Nguyen Ba Chung and Bruce Weigl (Hoi Nha Van publisher, Hanoi, 2015)
- Trang The Hy: Bitter & Sweet by Nguyen Ba Chung and Martha Collins (Tre publishing house, Paperback, Hoc Chi Minh city, October 2014)
- A Collection of Poems for Independence, Freedom and Requiem of Vietnam by 175 Poets Kenji Tomita, Massaki Shimizu, Nguyen Ba Chung, Bruce Weigl et al. (Coal Sack Publishing Company, Tokyo, Japan, August 2013)
- Tho Van Ly Tran/Ly Tran Zen Poems by Nguyen Duy, Kevin Bowen, and Nguyen Ba Chung (Van Hoa Sai Gon, Hard cover, Ho Chi Minh city, June 2007)
- Defiant Muse: Vietnamese Feminist Poetry From Antiquity to the Present (The Defiant Muse Series) by Nguyen Thi Minh Ha, Nguyen Thi Thanh Binh, and Lady Borton (The Feminist Press at CUNY, Paperback – August 1, 2007)
- Zen Poems From Early Vietnam/Tho Thien Ly Tran by Nguyen Duy, Kevin Bowen, and Nguyen Ba Chung (Van Hoa Sai Gon, Hard cover, Ho Chi Minh city, June 2005). Changed Title: Tho Van Ly Tran/Ly Tran Zen Poems, Reprint 2007.
- A Corner From My Yard by Fred Marchant, Nguyen Ba Chung, with Lady Borton and Trinh Ngọc Thai (Education Publishing House, Paperback, Hanoi, May 2006)
- Green Rice: Poems by Lam Thi My Da by Lam Thi My Da, Martha Collins, and Thuy Dinh (Curbstone Press, Paperback - February 1, 2005)
- The Time Tree: Selected Poems of Huu Thinh by Huu Thinh, George Evans, and Nguyen Quy Duc (Curbstone Press, Paperback - January 2003)
- Six Vietnamese Poets by Nguyen Ba Chung and Kevin Bowen (Curbstone Press, Paperback - June 1, 2001)
- Distant Road: Selected Poems of Nguyen Duy (Curbstone Press Contemporary Poets Series) (Vietnamese Edition) by Nguyen Duy, Kevin Bowen, and Nguyen Ba Chung (Curbstone Press, Paperback - September 1, 1999)
- Mountain River: Vietnamese Poetry from the Wars, 1948-1993 by Kevin Bowen, Nguyen Ba Chung, Ba Chung Nguyen, and Bruce Weigl (University of Massachusetts Press, Paperback - September 1998)
- The Women Carry River Water: Poems by Nguyen Quang Thieu, Martha Collins, Quang Thieu Nguyen (University of Massachusetts Press, Paperback - June 1997)
- Writing Between the Lines: An Anthology on War and Its Social Consequences by Kevin Bowen and Bruce Weigl (University of Massachusetts Press, Hardcover - February 1997)
- A Time Far Past by Luu Le, Ngo Vinh Hai, Nguyen Ba Chung, Kevin Bowen, and David Hunt (University of Massachusetts Press, Hardcover - April 1997)
- Poems from Captured Documents by Thanh T. Nguyen and Bruce Weigl (University of Massachusetts Press; Paperback - July 1994)