30th Annual Writers' Workshop Festival and Celebration - June 25th - June 30th 2017
Click here for full size flyer
Applications are open for the 2017 William Joiner Institute's 30th Annual Writers' Workshop Festival. Study with award winning poets and writers and participate in a writer's community like no other! Writers with diverse interests and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
This year's Writers' Workshop Festival will celebrate 30 years of community and creative responses to war and continue our tradition of focusing on the intersections of writing, war, social justice, and peace making. Workshop faculty include Vietnam and Iraq veterans and others whose works have addressed the experience of war and peace making.
The 2017 Writers' Workship Festival features:
Master Classes taught by distinguished faculty in Poetry, Nonfiction, Fiction and Drama.
Readings by acclaimed writers, veterans, and students.
Roundtable discussions on the legacies of the Vietnam War; Race, Refugees, and War; and American Wars in the Middle East.
30th Joiner Institute Writers' Workshop Poetry and Music Celebration - Tuesday, June 27 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Boston Public Library's Rabb Hall. Free and open to the public. Poetry by Yusef Komunyakaa and more. Music by Iraqi musician Layth Sidiq, the UMB Jazz Trio, and more. Check back for more updates!
Warrior Writers, who facilitate writing as a creative outlet for young veterans, primarily of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, will hold workshops and events and be celebrating their 10 year anniversary as an organization.
All workshop participants may choose 5 Master Classes to attend, one each morning, and are invited to attend all faculty and student readings, roundtable discussions and our Poetry and Music Celebration at the Boston Public Library on June 27.
- 2017 Faculty:
- Brian Turner, Danielle Legros Georges, Bruce Weigl, Amir al-Azraki, Fred Marchant, Martha Collins, Sean Davis, Lady Borton, Dahlma Llanos-Figueroa, Anne Loyer, Lovella Calica, Nguyen Ba Chung, visiting writers from Vietnam, and more TBA. Helen Elaine Lee is unable to make it to this year's workshop. We will update the flyer shortly.
- Tuition: $300 for one week workshop, $150 for post-9/11 veterans and refugees.
- Location: University of Massachusetts Boston
- Dates: June 25-June 30, 2017
- Contact: Please direct any questions to Mitch Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-287-5863.
- Writers' Workshop Application: Click here for application. In a separate email, please send a writing sample in your genre, up to 10 pages, to email@example.com with the subject line: "WJI 2017 Writing Sample - Your Name". If you work in two genres, it is okay to include both in your writing sample. Please send writing samples in .doc or .pdf files.
- The Writers' Workshop Festival is supported in part by Brighton Marine Health Center, by a grant from the Boston Cultural Council, a local agency which is funded by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, administrated by the Mayor’s Office of Arts + Culture, and by the Massachusetts Cultural Council.
- For disability related accommodations visit www.ada.umb.edu