UMass Boston


What is the Composition Requirement?

All students are required to take English 101: Composition I and English 102: Composition II, which are prerequisites (and preparation) for upper-level courses and for the Writing Proficiency Requirement.

When should I take Composition?

You will usually take English 101 in the first semester and English 102 in your second semester. This sequence enables you to take a required Intermediate Seminar in your sophomore year.

I took AP English in high school. Do I need to take Composition?

Scores of a 4 or 5 on the AP English exam count for EN 101 credit. If you earned a 4 or 5, you may enroll in EN 102. Please contact the Admissions Office if you are unsure about the status of your AP score.

I took IB classes in high school. Do I need to take Composition classes?

International Baccalaureate (IB) English course credits count as electives, but do not replace English 101 and 102.

I don't have AP scores or transfer credit, but I think I'm a strong writer. Can I waive the Composition requirement?

You may apply for a waiver by submitting an English 101/102 Waiver Application.

English is not my first language. Which courses should I take?

The Writing Placement Test will determine the best courses for you. You may be advised to take an ESL section of English 101 or English 102 that meets the same graduation requirements and receives the same transcript designation as non-ESL sections.

Whom should I talk to if I still have questions about English 101 or 102?

For general questions about your placement or your schedule, please contact any university advisor. For questions about English 101 or 102, including waiver or equivalency applications, email the Composition Program at, call us at 617.287.6704, or stop by our office on Wheatley, 6th floor, room 10.