UMass Boston

Waivers and Transfer Credits

All students are required to take English 101: Composition I and English 102: Composition II. Some students, however, may be eligible for a waiver or transfer equivalency for one or both courses.

Note: If you are a NEW student at UMass Boston, you should complete the Guided Writing Placement program as a first step toward determining which writing courses to take.

Applying for a WAIVER:

Applying for a course EQUIVALENCY:

  • This option is for students who have taken identical introductory composition courses at another campus but whose credits were not automatically transferred during the admissions process. If you believe you are eligible for a course waiver, complete the following steps:
    • Collect the following documentation:
      • A copy of the course catalogue description(s) of the course(s) for which you hope to receive ENGL 101 and/or ENGL 102 equivalency. 
      •  A copy of the course syllabus
      • Your unofficial transcript from your prior college/university
    • Email with the aforementioned documents, your student ID #, and which course you believe the materials are equivalent to: ENGL 101 or ENGL 102.


Q: What if I took the AP Language and Composition (or the AP Literature and Composition) exam and scored a 4 or 5? 

  • You do not need to complete one of these forms. If you have already submitted your official scores and are unsure about the status of your AP scores, please contact the Admissions Office.

Q: What if I took IB classes in high school?

  • International Baccalaureate (IB) English course credits count as electives, but do not replace English 101 or English 102.

Q: I am a strong writer. Can I test out of ENGL 101 or 102?

  • If you are a newly entering first-year student, you are not eligible to complete a waiver or equivalency form. 
  • If you are a transfer student, please consider whether you have a strong set of writing samples that meet the criteria for a waiver or have taken an equivalent course and then complete the appropriate application. 

Q: I submitted a waiver form, but my application was not approved. Can I reapply?

  • Students are only eligible to apply for a waiver once per academic year. To avoid delaying your progress, we recommend that you register for English 101 or 102 as soon as possible.

Q: What if I have questions about the waiver or the equivalency forms?