Transfer Student Orientation
Welcome Transfer Students!
Beacon Beginnings: Transfer Student Orientation Information
The transfer orientation is a one-day program for all new students transferring in credits from another university or returning to school from some time off. For transfer students admitted for Spring 2018, there will be several one-day orientation sessions offered throughout the winter, beginning in December, 2017 and running through January, 2018.
All transfer orientation sessions run from 8:00 a.m. until around 4:30 p.m. Some students may finish earlier, but you should make plans to stay for the entire program.
Regardless of your previous college experience, you will need time to learn the UMass Boston culture and transition into the community. Here is some more information about our Transfer Student Orientation:
At Beacon Beginnings: Transfer Student Orientation, you will:
- Meet other new transfer students, current student leaders and administrators, faculty and staff;
- Attend a group advising session and get a summary of your degree requirements and other important academic information. You’ll get all the help you need to start choosing your classes for the upcoming semester;
- Learn about campus services, activities, opportunities and resources;
- Enroll in courses for the upcoming academic semester;
- Learn the university’s expectations for students both in and out of the classroom;
- Have an opportunity to answer all of your questions from offices such as Financial Aid, Dean of Students, Health Services, and more;
- Feel better prepared to start UMass Boston.
Important Information for Transfer Students
Transfer Credit Evaluation
It is very important for transfer students to make sure they have sent their final transcripts from all previous institutions to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This will ensure that your transfer credits can be evaluated in a timely manner. At orientation you will have access to a complete degree audit that will provide even greater detail as to how your credits will be applied. Utilizing the degree audit, you will register for classes at orientation. In the meantime, you can get more information about the transfer credit process and see how courses from your previous institution may transfer to UMass Boston at www.umb.edu/transfer_credits.
Immunizations and Health Insurance
All new students must submit their completed immunizations forms to University Health Services. Click here for more information on required immunizations, health insurance options and to download the immunization form.
AlcoholEdu and/or Haven Online Modules
All new students must complete AlcoholEdu and/or Haven online educational modules. For more information about this important requirement please click here.
Parking and Transportation on Campus
It's never to early to start planning how you will get to campus each day:
- If you plan to drive to campus, explore options for parking and consider purchasing a prepaid parking pass for access to more parking lots and reduced parking rates.
- Public transportation can provide a very convenient option for getting to campus as well. Students may purchase semester MBTA passes at reduced rates through the Office for Student Activities and Leadership.
Office for New Student Programs
Campus Center, 2nd Floor, 2405
Monday through Friday
9 a.m.–5 p.m.