Hiring Steps for Students
Step I: Verify Your Eligibility and Interest
The Student Employee Handbook sets out specific Conditions of Employment.
Once you have reviewed the Conditions of Employment proceed to Step II.
Step II: Find a Job
Before worrying about any paperwork, focus on finding a job. Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Institutional (Non-Work-Study) Student Employment positions are all located on the UMass Boston Career Services Online website. (FWS positions are limited to students who have been awarded FWS eligibility by Financial Aid Services.) Follow the the application process outlined in the "How To Apply" section of the job posting. Do not move on to Step III until you have been offered and have accepted a position. If you need help with your resume, Career Services provides assistance to students.
Step III: Complete the Appropriate Paperwork
Before you begin working, your student employment eligibility must be verified. After you have accepted a position, visit SES ASAP to pick up your pre-employment packet. SES staff will verify your employment eligibility, which will involve:
- Completing Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification)
- If you have never worked on the UMass Boston campus, you will need to provide specific documentation of your eligibility to work. A list of acceptable documents is printed in Appendix A of the Student Employee Handbook. Please be aware that the SES staff must review original documents. Photocopies are not allowed.
- Completing W-4 and M-4 Forms (Tax Withholding Allowances)
- All wages earned through both the Institutional (Non-Work-Study) Student Employment and Federal Work-Study Programs are taxable, so all students must complete tax withholding allowance forms. You must complete a W-4 and M-4 if you have never worked at UMass Boston before or if the information you previously reported on the W-4 and M-4 has changed.
- Employers will download the Personnel Action (PA) Form from the Human Resources website.
Once you have completed your pre-employment paperwork, you will be given a signed Confirmation Sheet to take to your employer.
Please note: Employers may rescind a job offer due to any circumstances, prior to, during or after the employment paperwork process. Conversely, students may decline acceptance at any time. If you decided not to take the job, contact the employer to withdraw your application/acceptance.
Step IV: Your Supervisor will complete your PA
The PA must be completed by your employer and submitted to SES for processing. (The PA may only be submitted to SES after your I-9 and W-4 are on file with the office.) You may not begin working until the PA has been completely processed and entered into the Human Resources system, placing you on the employer's timesheet.
Step V: Do Not Work until You Are Authorized
IMPORTANT: You must complete the Form I-9 no later than the first day of employment. The Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification is completed in Student Employment Services. Any hours spent by a student at the workplace before an I-9 is completed will be considered volunteer time and will not be paid. Employment eligibility may be revoked for violation of this policy.
If you or your employer have any questions about the hiring process or the status of your paperwork, contact SES for an update.
Step VI: Review the Student Employment Handbook
Please read the Student Employment section of the website.