Beginning Monday, July 9, a number of roadway changes will take effect on the UMass Boston campus as the Utility Corridor and Roadway Relocation (UCRR) project enters its final stages of work. Many of these changes will be in effect until the end of August, when the entire project is expected to be substantially completed.
The major roadway changes taking place on Monday are as follows, and can be seen on an updated map.
- University Drive (UDrive) North, between the Massachusetts Archives and the JFK Library parking lot, will close, except for bus traffic to the JFK Library;
- UDrive East, from Wheatley Hall to the intersection of UDrive North, will close except for emergency vehicles;
- The roadway between University Hall and the Massachusetts Archives will close, except as needed for access to the Archives loading dock;
- UDrive West, between the parking garage and the Integrated Sciences Complex, will reopen, connecting Bianculli Boulevard/UDrive South to Mt. Vernon Street; and
- Columbia Point Road will reopen, connecting UDrive North to the Campus Center Garage, loading dock, and new pick-up/drop-off area in the rear of the Campus Center.
If you drive, walk, or bicycle to campus, the impacts of these changes are as follows:
- If you drive or bike from Morrissey Boulevard, you will need to turn left on to UDrive West in order to access Mt. Vernon Street, Lot D, JFK Library, Massachusetts Archives, EMK Institute, and the Campus Center Garage, loading dock, and pick-up/drop-off area.
- If walking from Morrissey Boulevard, exit the HarborWalk at the ramp that heads to the Integrated Sciences Complex (ISC) and enter campus via that building. There will be no pedestrian access on UDrive West when the roadway first opens on Monday.
- From UDrive North, vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians can access Campus Center locations by turning right on to Columbia Point Road, just before the Archives. There will be no direct pedestrian access to University Hall during this period, so walkers must enter via the Campus Center.
- Non-emergency vehicles on UDrive South will not be allowed to travel past Wheatley Hall due to the closure of UDrive East ahead. Cars should use the ISC pick-up/drop-off or the area between McCormack and Wheatley Halls to turn around.
- Pedestrian/bicycle access from the east side of campus to the HarborWalk will be limited temporarily. Those on the HarborWalk will be able to access the campus roadway along Lot D, at the south corner of campus near Wheatley Hall, and along University Drive South near the ISC.
For transit riders:
- The university will continue to operate the campus shuttles, but encourages you to be patient as the construction can add time to your commute.
- The Route #1 shuttle bus from the MBTA station to campus and the Route #3 shuttle bus from Bayside to campus will now stop at the turnaround just south of the Campus Center main entrance.
- The MBTA Ride is encouraged to use the turnaround just south of the Campus Center main entrance or the new pick-up/drop-off area behind the Campus Center.
- The MBTA route 8 and 16 buses will turn around at the “half-moon” area across the street from the residence hall.
Additional Construction Updates will be issued as work progresses and additional changes are necessary or areas can be re-opened because work has been completed.