UMass Boston News

UMass Boston Mourns Former Student Krystle Campbell

J. Keith Motley, PhD, UMass Boston Chancellor | April 17, 2013
Picture of former UMass Boston student Krystle Campbell, killed at the finish line of the Boston Marathon

Former UMass Boston student Krystle Campbell, killed at the finish line of the Boston Marathon

A statement from Chancellor J. Keith Motley

Our great city is in mourning, and on our campus we mourn as well: for the lives lost Monday and the physical and emotional injuries suffered by so many. We grieve especially for our former student Krystle Campbell, who studied sociology with us from 2005-2007, and who was a valued member of our community.

Each of Monday’s victims was a young person, and part of the fabric and hopeful future of our city. Eight-year-old Martin Richard lived in our neighborhood of Dorchester. And Lingzi Lu was among the many thousands of international students who come to Boston to study at the best universities in the world.

Their loss is felt acutely on our campus. We wish their loved ones, along with all Bostonians, strength and peace in the difficult days ahead.

Tags: chancellor

Comments (11)

Posted by karen fitzpatrick-morrison | May 02, 2013 - 7:09 p.m.

It is such a shame that a young beautiful life has been lost due to such a terrifying act. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. As a former graduate of UMass Boston, this has affected all of us.

Posted by David Poles | May 01, 2013 - 6:26 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Krystie’s family. May she rest in peace.

Posted by Serge | April 21, 2013 - 11:23 p.m.

Sincere condolences to her family, loved ones, and friends affected by this tragic loss. Our hearts go out and words will always be too short to express our sentiments in such circumstances. RIP, KC! You are with your father in his holy place. You’re now free, really free! Although I’ve never had a chance to meet with you in person, but I know you’ve been a great person capable of living a meaningful life. You journey over here was not in vain. We will remember you.

Posted by Deepak Bidwai | April 20, 2013 - 12:06 a.m.

RIP.
May God give strength to her family and friends to go through this tragic time. Let’s not forget what President Obama said about the spirit of Boston and this country. Boston is the spirit of America.

Posted by Ann | April 19, 2013 - 3:01 p.m.

Revelation 21: 3, 4 and John 5: 28, 29 gives us Great Hope for the Near Future…(http://www.jw.org)

Posted by Kerri | April 18, 2013 - 12:59 p.m.

My sincerest condolences to her family and friends. From all accounts told, she obviously a bright woman who the world was lucky to have for the time she was here. The differences she made will forever be felt and the whole world is looking upon her face now and feeling the loss.

Posted by Fatmata | April 18, 2013 - 12:40 p.m.

My condolences and prayers go out to all the families affected by this tragedy. May the Lord grant you all peace and strength to survive this difficult time.

Posted by Izzy | April 17, 2013 - 11:06 p.m.

Hearing all the loving words spoken about this beautiful girl, I can only imagine how great a loss this life is to everyone who knew her. My prayers for her grieving loved ones…

Posted by Estella | April 17, 2013 - 6:58 p.m.

I sincerely give my condolences to all who have been affected by this tragedy. I will continue to pray for those families who have lost loved ones and have been injured. It is a very devastating and sad time here at UMass Boston as we mourn the loss of one of our own. God bless all those who are suffering and desperately need support.

Posted by Reef Youngreen | April 17, 2013 - 5:40 p.m.

I remember Krystle as a student in a statistics course I taught 6 years ago. She was a joy to have in class, worked very hard, and seemed to very much enjoy her life. All of my finest to those who are coping with losing her.

Comment on this story