UMass Boston News

UMass Boston Mourns Professor Jalal Alamgir

Political Science Department | December 07, 2011

We are deeply saddened to have to tell you that our friend and colleague, Associate Professor of Political Science Jalal Alamgir, tragically passed away December 3, 2011. His loss is immeasurable.

Jalal was a most gentle, perceptive, sensitive colleague, educator, and friend. He was a devoted teacher, most creative and inspiring in his approach to making the discipline of international relations not only understandable to our students but also pertinent to their daily concerns. He was a deeply committed researcher and scholar who never divorced questions of social justice from our understanding of power and politics and who endeavored to make the Third World, and Asia in particular, relevant not only to world politics but also to U.S. policy. He was a most generous and gracious colleague who was able to always accommodate everyone’s concerns, committed to moving the university forward. He helped make our department an intellectually stimulating, pedagogically engaging, and emotionally nurturing space to students and faculty alike. We will miss him terribly.

The Political Science Department is mourning Jalal deeply. You are welcome to join us at a university-wide memorial that will take place at the beginning of next semester.

Students, faculty, and staff are also welcome to sign the condolence book set up on the 5th floor of Wheatley Hall.

Tags:

Comments (17)

Posted by Dana | January 28, 2012 - 9:36 p.m.

Dr. Alamgir was one of the first professors at UMass Boston to show me that there was a world outside of the U.S. He was someone who was very interactive with his students. He made me want to come to class every day wanting to learn. He is someone who will be missed not only by the community at UMass Boston but everyone who got the chance to get to know him. He was such an intelligent man and will be forever missed. Rest peacefully.

Posted by Charity | January 25, 2012 - 2:36 p.m.

What a terrible news, Dr. Alamgir was a great teacher and he will be missed more then words could ever express. May his soul rest in peace.

Posted by KR | January 06, 2012 - 1:03 p.m.

Dear Joy,

Your comments are really heart-wrenching. I don’t know whether your eyes were filled with tears while writing this, but I was so moved with sorrow for a person I never knew and will now never know. Condolences for you and your family.

Posted by A.Adelakun | December 23, 2011 - 3:50 p.m.

I am deeply saddened by the sudden death of Dr. Alamgir. I’m proud to have known such a kind, warm, and brilliant person. My prayers and thoughts are with him and with those he left behind.

Posted by M. Shamim Chowdhury | December 13, 2011 - 4:26 a.m.

Jalal, or, as we call him, “Shuvo,” is my nephew. I have vivid memories of the discussion we had when I met him for dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant in Boston in 2003. I discovered that my little nephew was a great researcher, who holds Bangladesh in his heart and mind. Our family lost the sweetest member, but Bangladesh lost a great patriot. May Allah grant him the Jannat. Amen.

Posted by Ambreen Khan | December 11, 2011 - 10:52 p.m.

I send my condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

Posted by M.Shoeb Chowdhury | December 11, 2011 - 1:15 a.m.

I am truly saddened by Dr. Alamgir’s death. He was an amazing person. Dr. Alamgir was always so kind and considerate to us that we always welcomed seeing him at every opportunity.

His passing will not only leave a void in our lives, but in the hearts of everyone who knew Dr. Alamgir. His memory will always remain deep within my heart.

My sincere thoughts and prayers are with Dr. Alamgir and his family.

Posted by Mrs.Farhan | December 10, 2011 - 3:28 p.m.

I am deeply saddened by this news. Dr.Alamgir’s family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.
May God keep his soul.
Amen.

Posted by Joy Alamgir | December 10, 2011 - 12:29 a.m.

My brother Jalal was the kindest, sweetest, smartest person I knew. He guided me without judging me, he taught me without preaching to me, he loved me unconditionally. He was my mentor, my friend, my confidant. I love him him very very much and wish some day I get to see him again.

Posted by SIMONE | December 09, 2011 - 7:01 p.m.

Extending deep and heartfelt sympathy to his family.

Comment on this story