Joiner Institute 30th Annual Writers’ Workshop Festival
Event Start Date: June 25, 2017 - 4 p.m.
Event End Date: June 30, 2017 - 5 p.m.
Event Type: Student Event | Location: Joiner Institute
Applications are open for the 2017 William Joiner Institute's 30th Annual Writers' Workshop Festival. Study with award winning poets and writers and participate in a writer's community like no other! Writers with diverse interests and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
This year's Writers' Workshop Festival will celebrate 30 years of community and creative responses to war and continue our tradition of focusing on the intersections of writing, war, social justice, and peace making. Workshop faculty include Vietnam and Iraq veterans and others whose works have addressed the experience of war and peace making.
The 2017 Writers' Workship Festival features:
- Master Classes taught by distinguished faculty in Poetry, Nonfiction, Fiction and Drama.
- Readings by acclaimed writers, veterans, and students.
- Roundtable discussions on the legacies of the Vietnam War; Race, Refugees, and War; and American Wars in the Middle East.
- 30th year celebrations including a feature event of poetry and music on Thursday, June 29th.
- Warrior Writers, who facilitate writing as a creative outlet for young veterans, primarily of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, will hold workshops and events and be celebrating their 10 year anniversary as an organization.
- All workshop participants may choose 5 Master Classes to attend, one each morning, and are invited to attend all faculty and student readings, roundtable discussions and a special poetry and music celebration event on Thursday, June 29th.
Brian Turner, Danielle Legros Georges, Bruce Weigl, Amir al-Azraki, Fred Marchant, Martha Collins, Sean Davis, Helen Elaine Lee, Lady Borton, Nguyen Ba Chung, visiting writers from Vietnam, and more TBA.
- Tuition: $300 for one week workshop, $150 for post-9/11 veterans and refugees.
- Location: University of Massachusetts Boston
- Dates: June 25-June 30, 2017
- Contact: Please direct any questions to Mitch Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-287-5863.
- Writers' Workshop Application: Click here for application. In a separate email, please send a writing sample in your genre, up to 10 pages, to email@example.com with the subject line: "WJI 2017 Writing Sample - Your Name". If you work in two genres, it is okay to include both in your writing sample. Please send writing samples in .doc or .pdf files.
For disability-related accommodations, including dietary accommodations, please visit www.ada.umb.edu two weeks prior to the event.
Event Cost: $300 ($150 for post 9/11 veterans)