Monan Park Groundbreaking
Joining forces, Boston College High School and the University of Massachusetts Boston will break ground on a new shared community baseball complex with a ceremony on Thursday, June 11 at 4 p.m. at BC High.
Athletes from both BC High and UMass Boston will attend Thursday’s groundbreaking, along with J. Donald Monan, SJ, the chancellor of Boston College, and UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley. The BC High Choir will perform and the school’s mascots, Morris E. Eagle and Bobby the Beacon, will appear.
The complex will be called the J. Donald Monan, SJ Park to honor his outstanding educational leadership, vision, and commitment to the City of Boston. The project is made possible by a public/private partnership, anchored by a $2 million commitment from the Yawkey Foundation.
Monan Park will be created on the property of BC High and will include the following attributes when it is completed in December:
- Full-sized competition stadium for high-school and collegiate level games. The main field will replicate the exact dimensions of Fenway Park and includes fencing, bullpens, a warning track, a batter’s eye, full-sized dugouts and batting cages, and a replica of Fenway’s famed Green Monster.
- A full synthetic turf facility, with clay pitcher’s mound.
- Stadium seating for 500 spectators, full lighting for evening games and practices, and a press box.
- Secondary playing field suitable for practice and sub-varsity games.
- Full-sized soccer field within a secondary baseball field.
Corporate sponsors for the Monan Park project are WB Mason, Rockland Trust, Lambert's, McGee Toyota, and Prime Time Sports.
For disability-related accommodations, including dietary accommodations, please visit www.ada.umb.edu two weeks prior to the event.