Office of Health Disparities Research and Training Research Symposium - April 20, 2017, 1-4 PM
Event Date: April 20, 2017 - 1 p.m.
Location: Venture Development Center, Wheatley Building, 3rd floor
Our inaugural symposium, "From Local to Transnational: Highlighting Health Disparities Research at UMass Boston" will feature 8 faculty talks and 14 student poster presentations on their research in or at the intersections of health, health care, health disparities, or social determinants of health at the local, state, regional, or transnational level. Join us for an afternoon of learning, sharing, and networking!
1:00 – 1:05 PM: Welcome & Opening Remarks
1:05 – 2:00 PM: Collaborations Locally, Nationally, Regionally, and Transnationally
- Dr. Eduardo Siqueira, The Sociocultural Integration of Cuban Physicians into Brazilian Society
- Dr. Emily Jones, Partnering with New England Native Communities to Promote Cardiometabolic Health
- Dr. Haeok Lee, Development of a Theory-guided Storytelling Narrative Intervention to Improve HPV Vaccination Behavior among Cambodian American Mothers and Daughters
- Dr. Richard Fleming, Family-based Behavioral Weight-Loss and Weight-Maintenance Research: Addressing the Challenges of Obesity in Youth with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
2:05 – 3:00 PM: Research Exploring Health Disparities in Diverse Populations
- Dr. Tahirah Abdullah, The Black American Therapy Experiences Study (BATES): A Qualitative Approach to Understanding Mental Health Service Utilization Disparities among Black Americans
- Dr. Richard Hunter, Changes in Mitochondrial DNA Methylation Associated with Adverse Childhood Experiences and Lifetime Experience of Discrimination
- Dr. Ana Rosa Linde Arias, How is the Zika Epidemic Affecting Women’s Lives?
- Dr. Russell Schutt, The Healthy Immigrant Effect: A Test of Competing Explanations
3:00 – 4:00 PM: Reception & Student Research Poster Session
For disability-related accommodations, including dietary accommodations, please visit www.ada.umb.edu two weeks prior to the event.