Q: What's the first thing I should do when planning an event?

A: Choose a date and secure a location. The sooner you can lock in your date the easier the planning process will be.

Q: How do I request a space on campus for an event?

A: All space is requested using the online space request form, found here.

Q: How far in advance should I send out invitations?

A: At least 6 weeks prior to the event, with an RSVP 2 weeks prior to the event date. If sending save the date cards or emails, those should be done at least 4 months ahead of time.

Q: Who can help with the design and printing of invitations?

A: The editors and designers in the Office of Government Relations and Public Affairs can assist, all you need to do is fill out a publications request form.

Q: Does UMass Boston have an on-campus caterer?

A: Yes, UMass Boston Dining Services has full catering capabilities. A sample menu list can be found on their website, and they are able to do many custom menus as well.

Q: Can I use an off-campus caterer?

A: Yes you may, but you must coordinate that with the venue. The caterer will have to sign a contract, perform a walk-through, present proper insurance, etc.

Q: Can I serve alcohol at my event?

A: Yes, with approval from the responsible officer and public safety. Please refer to the Alcohol Policy for details.

Q: Can I get free parking for my event?

A: Complimentary parking is not available at the university, but you may purchase pre-paid passes for your guests. Contact the Parking and Transportation Office for details.

Q: Who makes those directional road signs?

A: Quinn Graphics can design, print and place directional road signs (wind signs). They cost about $50 each.

Office of University Events and Ceremonies

Quinn Administration 03-011
617.287.5313 (telephone)