Teaching Diversity Today: What Are The Challenges and Opportunities?
The University's Diversity Requirement for undergraduates has now been in effect for 20 years, having spawned hundreds of specially prepared courses that cut across the undergraduate curricula. This forum, co-sponsored by CIT, OFD, and the CLA Diversity Committee, brings together a panel of experienced teachers of diversity courses to discuss:
- What importance does an understanding of diversity have in the university's preparation of educated persons and knowlegeable citizens?
- How do students respond to diversity courses in 2013?
- What are some of the challenges commonly faced by professors, as well as students, in these courses?
- How do professors manage the sometimes volatile issues that diversity courses surface in classroom discussion and writing?
- Where does diversity fit into the current overall general education curriculum?
For disability-related accommodations, including dietary accommodations, please visit www.ada.umb.edu two weeks prior to the event.