My UMass Boston Video Contest
It’s his. It’s hers. It’s ours. It’s yours. It’s . . . “My UMass Boston!” And it’s a student video contest.
We want you (or you and some friends) to make a video, and show us how UMass Boston is special to you. Grab a video camera, cell phone, Flip—whatever you’ve got—and be creative. Be honest. Be inspired. Don’t be shy! Show us in 30 seconds what makes this university unique to you, and ...
- First place: $400
- Second place: $300
- Third place: $200
- People's Choice*: $100
You have until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, April 2, 2013 to create a video that demonstrates what UMass Boston means to you—and enter to win up to $500!
Videos will be judged on overall quality, creativity, strength of the message/story presented, quality of videography and editing, musical accompaniment (if any), and special effects (if any). Cash prize recipients must be in financial good standing with the university’s bursar’s office.
*All of the eligible videos will be posted on UMass Boston's YouTube channel on Wednesday, April 3, 2013. Web visitors will have until Friday, April 12 at 5 p.m. to vote for their favorite. Whichever video receives the most "likes" by the deadline will be named the winner. The winner of the People's Choice award can also win one of the other three prizes, meaning entrants can win a maximum of $500.
The My UMass Boston student video contest is open to all UMass Boston students enrolled in at least one for-credit course.
- Create your 30-second video on the theme of “My UMass Boston.” You can use any recording device--cell phone, video camera, or digital camera. If you use music, make sure you have permission to use it or that it is your original music. If you use copyrighted music, you will not be eligible for the cash prizes. There are websites where you can download copyright-free music such as http://www.stonewashed.net/free-music.html. Here are 10 online resources for free, legal, music. Please contact us if you have questions about what music you can use. We don't want to have to declare your entry ineligible.
- Save your movie in .mpeg, .mov, .mp4 or .avi format. There are computer labs on campus. The “B” lab (known also as the “Red” lab) has 12 Macs in addition to the PCs. For Mac Lab “A” and “C,” check the schedules on the door to see if they are free for general use.
- Burn your movie to CD/DVD.
- Label CD/DVD with your name, phone, and email. Use a permanent marker.
- Print out and sign this downloadable form.
- Deliver the CD/DVD and form to the Quinn Administration Building, Office of Government Relations and Public Affairs, third floor, between rooms 3/034 and 3/035, by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, April 2, 2013.
- Log on to Facebook to see the results!
Vote for your favorite 2013 entry; the one with the most “likes” gets $100.
- Go to the 2013 My UMass Boston Video Contest playlist on UMass Boston's YouTube channel.
- Click on the "like" button.
Watch Albert Chen's winning video from the 2011 contest:
Watch Anastasia Karelina's winning video from the 2010 contest:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Buy Books; Stock up on Supplies
Buy textbooks, UMass Boston clothing, office supplies, and snacks at the UMass Boston Bookstore, located on the Upper Level of the Campus Center. Read More