Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity at UMass Boston
Among institutions of higher learning, the University of Massachusetts Boston is a leader in diversity, access, and excellence. With its mission to serve the city of Boston—a mission established by its founders—the university reflects the growing diversity of the community it represents, a mixture of people, cultures, and demographics unlike that of any other public university in New England. Ours is an institution that naturally extends itself to—and in turn welcomes into its student body, faculty, and staff—people of varied races, ethnicities, ages, and economic backgrounds. We are proud of that record.
We also believe that the UMass Boston academic experience itself is enriched by the many experiences and perspectives that our students, faculty, and staff bring to it. We at the university see diversity and access as critical to the achievement of excellence in all our academic programs. UMass Boston faculty and staff share a vision of undergraduate and graduate teaching that meets the needs of a diverse student population—developing innovative and interdisciplinary programs and nurturing both pure and applied research. The university has reinforced its commitment to the principles of diversity by incorporating a diversity course requirement into the undergraduate curriculum.
Working at UMass Boston
The University of Massachusetts Boston offers a diverse, culturally rich, and progressive work environment. Located on a beautiful campus on Boston Harbor just minutes from downtown Boston—a center of research, technology, education, medicine, and commerce—the university is a nationally recognized model of employer innovation and excellence among urban colleges and universities. UMass Boston offers employment opportunities in teaching, research, professional service, and many other areas.
At UMass Boston you will find:
- A multitude of challenging and rewarding career opportunities
- A comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental options, long-term disability, life insurance, and flexible accounts for health and child care expenses
- Recognition of the importance of work/life balance, with generous paid time off for employees, and programs that promote a healthful workplace and lifestyle
- Professional development and training programs that promote continuous learning for employees and growth for the organization
- Generous tuition benefits—for employees, their spouses, and eligible dependents—at UMass Boston and the other UMass campuses, and at other Massachusetts state and community colleges
- A rich academic environment where diversity is valued, and where ideas are encouraged and rewarded through a variety of faculty and staff recognition program