- Men’s Soccer Team Receives Championship Rings
The men’s soccer team received their Little East Conference championship rings in a special ceremony on Wednesday.
- Beacons Spotlight: Triple Threat Kirsten Morrison Named All-Conference
Last week, senior exercise and health sciences major Kirsten Morrison became the first UMass Boston Beacon to earn All-Conference honors in three sports: volleyball, basketball, and softball.
- Beacons Spotlight: Kyle Szatrowski Closes Out College Career with Pitcher of the Week Honors
Senior marketing major Kyle Szatrowski is ending his Beacons career the same way he started it –i n record-setting fashion. Szatrowski was named the Little East Conference Pitcher of the Week for striking out a career-best nine batters in a 16-7 win over Western Connecticut State.
- Fr. Monan Park Groundbreaking
Fr. Monan Park will serve as the home field for both UMass Boston and BC High in the spring and fall, and as a community resource during the off-season.
- Coach Titus Receives NABC Guardians of the Game Leadership Award
Charlie Titus is the first coach in Little East Conference history to win the NABC's Guardians of the Game Leadership Award.
- Beacons Sports: Softball Pitcher, Men’s Tennis Ace Set Program Win Records
It was a big weekend for the Beacons, with two different Beacons setting program records for wins.
- Baseball, Softball Teams Earn First Wins of the Season on Spring Break Trip to Florida
Continuing an annual tradition, the Beacons softball and baseball teams have arrived in Florida for their first games of the season.
- Race and Gender in Sports Expert to Beacon Athletes: You Have the Power to Affect Change
Conversation with Richard Lapchick kicks off the planning for a sport management program at UMass Boston.
- Conversation with Richard Lapchick, Internationally-Recognized Expert on Race and Gender in Sports
Richard E. Lapchick is a human rights activist and pioneer for racial equality.
- Beacons Win on ‘Charlie Titus Day’ as Titus Ends 40-Year Men’s Basketball Coaching Career
The UMass Boston Beacons celebrated a 95-79 win Western Connecticut State University on Saturday afternoon in the Clark Convocation and Athletic Center, but it was really Coach Charlie Titus’s day.
- Beacons Spotlight: Albee Daley Provides Assists On and Off the Ice
Sophomore forward Albee Daley is hoping to provide a spark this Saturday when No. 2 UMass Boston hosts No. 7 Skidmore College at 7 p.m. in the ECAC East quarterfinals.
- Beacons Spotlight: Cappione Boosts Beacons Offensive Attack
Alexa Cappione's defense will be crucial for the women's hockey team as the Beacons approach the final week of the regular season.
- Beacons Spotlight: Two-Sport Star Carl Joseph Nets 1,000th Point
UMass Boston's first three-time All-American in track and field notches 1,000th point as a member of the men's basketball team. Oh, and he drives the Zamboni too.
- 2015 UMass Boston Liberty Mutual Insurance Alumni Cup Golf Tournament
You can help the Department of Athletics support our student athletes and youth from area neighborhoods by participating in the 2015 UMass Boston Liberty Mutual Insurance Alumni Cup Golf Tournament.
- Beacons Sports: Two Beacons Join 1,000 Point Club
Two UMass Boston Beacons joined the 1,000 point club this fall.
- UMass Boston Athletics Participates in Helping Hands Gift Giving Celebration
Members of the community donated holiday presents, including clothing, toys, and books to over 80 children.
- Men’s Hockey Team Sets Program Record With No. 5 Ranking in National Poll
On Monday, the University of Massachusetts Boston men’s hockey team received their highest-ever national ranking. The Beacons are No. 5 in the USCHO.com poll, up one spot from last week.
- After 40 Years, Charlie Titus to Retire from Coaching at End of Basketball Season
After nearly four decades at the helm of the University of Massachusetts Boston men’s basketball program, Head Coach Charlie Titus has announced that the 2014–15 season will be his last on the Beacons bench.
- UMass Boston Community Celebrates Fall Student-Athletes
Students, faculty, staff, and UMass Boston mascot Bobby the Beacon gathered Wednesday, November 19 to show their appreciation for the fall Beacons athletics teams. For the first time in school history, all three fall sports squads competed in the Little East Conference tournament.
- Celebrate a Banner Year for the Beacons
Come to the Campus Center for refreshments, music, and free t-shirts!
- Men’s Soccer Team Advances to First NCAA Tournament
The UMass Boston men’s soccer team will travel to Dudley, Massachusetts to face Nichols College on Thursday at 1 p.m. in the first round of the Division III NCAA tournament.
- UMass Boston to Host Three Conference Semifinal Matches This Week
The men's soccer team plays Wednesday at 1:30 p.m., the women's soccer team plays on Thursday at 1:30 p.m., and the volleyball team plays on Saturday at noon.
- Beacons Sports: Men’s Soccer Wins First Regular Season Conference Title; Volleyball 6th
The men’s soccer team won its first regular season Little East Conference title on Sunday, the volleyball team has won its sixth consecutive conference title on Tuesday, and the women’s soccer team could earn a conference title on Saturday.
- UMass Boston Hockey Players Read for the Record
Beacons icers team up with preschoolers to set a national record
- Beacons Spotlight: Krista Ledin Becomes First to Score 200 Points
Krista Ledin, a senior nursing major, has become the first soccer player in Beacons and Little East Conference history to score more than 200 points.
- UMass Boston to Induct 12th Hall of Fame Class on October 9
As part of the university’s 50th anniversary celebration, UMass Boston’s Division of Athletics and Recreation, Special Programs and Projects will induct its twelfth Hall of Fame class on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
- Beacons Sports: Volleyball Nets Coach Condon 200th Win
The volleyball team’s 3-0 victory over Babson College on Friday gave Terry Condon her 200th win as the Beacons head coach.
- UMass Boston Volleyball Team No. 22 in National Preseason Poll
UMass Boston’s volleyball team is ranked No. 22 in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) preseason poll, only the second time in program history the Beacons have been ranked to open the year.
- 12th Annual Athletics Hall of Fame Induction Celebration
Join us as the university celebrates UMass Boston's greatest athletes and inducts the Class of 2014 into the Hall of Fame.
- UMass Boston High Jumper Overcomes Hurdles On, Off Track
The holder of UMass Boston's indoor high jump record is nearly blind in his left eye.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Senior Outfielder Co-Conference Player of the Year
Senior Jamill Moquete recorded 45 hits, including seven doubles, six triples, and four home runs.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Baseball to Open LEC Tournament Play on Wednesday
UMass Boston’s baseball team will take on UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the opening round of the Little East Conference Tournament.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Track and Field Brings Home 8 Gold Medals
UMass Boston sophomore Hulerie McGuffie set a Little East Conference record with five gold medals at the LEC Outdoor Championship over the weekend.
- UMass Boston Runners Prepare for 2014 Boston Marathon
Monday's Boston Marathon will serve as not only a time to remember and reflect; it will also be about showing resilience, completing a goal, and raising money for a good cause.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Freshman Shatters 1986 Record at Track Meet
Freshman Taylor Smith broke both the 1986 UMass Boston program record and the meet record with her throw of 129-01 feet.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Women’s Softball Coach Picks up 100th Win
Softball Head Coach Natalia Ardagna has more wins than any previous Beacons softball coach.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Men’s Tennis Sweeps Conference Honors
The men’s tennis team (1-5) picked up both weekly Little East Conference (LEC) honors on Monday.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Baseball Erases 5-Run Deficit With Walk-Off Win in Florida
The University of Massachusetts Boston Beacons came back from a five-run deficit in the ninth inning to defeat Bethel University, 8-7 on Thursday.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Sprinter Hulerie McGuffie Places 2nd at Indoor National Championships
Sophomore Hulerie McGuffie has become the first Beacon to earn back-to-back All-America honors in more than 20 years.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Sophomore Sprinter Qualifies for Nationals
Sophomore sprinter Hulerie McGuffie will be representing UMass Boston at the indoor national championships this weekend. This is the first time UMass Boston has been represented at the indoor national championships in more than 20 years.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Lacrosse Opens Season with a Win
Sophomore lacrosse player Noah Ellis of Hingham scored four times to lead the UMass Boston Beacons (1-0) to a 12-3 season-opening rout of Johnson & Wales University on Saturday.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Hockey Advances, Basketball Conference Tourney Starts Tonight
Men’s hockey Head Coach Peter Belisle picked up his 100th win on Saturday as the Beacons trumped No. 6 seed University of New England, 7-2, in the ECAC East playoffs.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Men’s, Women’s Hockey Victorious on Senior Day
Travis Daniel ties a program record with his 11th career game-winning goal in a win against the University of New England.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Relay Teams Post Top Times at Stampede Classic
The UMass Boston men's and women's 4x200 relay teams took first and second place, respectively, at the Tufts University Stampede Classic on Saturday.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Olivia Murphy Player of the Week for 3rd Time
Sophomore Olivia Murphy of Canton was named the Little East Conference Player of the Week after leading the women’s basketball team (11-6) to a 1-1 week.
- Beacons Assistant Hockey Coach Heads to Sochi for 2014 Winter Olympics
Molly Schaus says her three years as an assistant hockey coach for the UMass Boston women's hockey team has prepared her for the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Track and Field Sets 5 Personal Bests
Four Beacons set personal bests at the Ramapo College Indoor Select in New York City on Saturday. Freshman Christopher Sian-Aguirre posted two career bests for a school total of five.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Men’s Hockey Earns Highest Ranking in School History
With three wins this week, the UMass Boston’s men’s hockey team (12-1-2) moved up to No. 6 in the D3Hockey.com Top 15 poll and No. 11 in the USCHO.com national poll.
- Beacons Freeze Salem State in Memorable Citi Frozen Fenway Matchup
The University of Massachusetts Boston Beacons braved the frigid 11-degree temperature and defeated the Salem State Vikings 4-2 in front of 1,100 fans at Citi Frozen Fenway on Tuesday.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Hockey Teams Take Codfish Bowl Tournament
The Beacons enter today's Citi Frozen Fenway contest against Salem State University with a 10-game unbeaten streak.
- 2014 Winter Welcome Week Events: February 1
Go on a ski trip to Pats Peak or cheer on the Beacons.
- 2014 Winter Welcome Week Events: January 31
As Winter Welcome Week nears the end, cheer on the men's hockey team in the Clark Athletic Center.
- Beacons To Sport Custom Throwback Uniforms at Frozen Fenway Game Tuesday
UMass Boston Head Coach Peter Belisle worked with alumnus Dick Kelley ‘70 and Custom Crafted in North Attleboro to develop special uniforms for Citi Frozen Fenway.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (December 10-December 16)
The University of Massachusetts Boston men’s hockey team ends 2013 in great position, with just one tournament remaining before the January 7 Frozen Fenway game against Salem State University.
- Men’s Tennis, Track Athletes Receive Championship Rings
On Thursday, the 2013 men’s tennis team and the indoor and outdoor track individual and relay winners received their Little East Conference championship rings.
- Frozen Fenway: Beacons Face Off Against Salem State University
The UMass Boston Beacons will face the Salem State University Vikings on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 4 p.m. at Fenway Park.
- The Week in Beacon Sports (December 3-9)
Sophomore Olivia Murphy Little East Player of the Week for the Second Straight Week
- UMass Boston Minute: Frozen Fenway Coin Toss
The UMass Boston men's ice hockey team will play Salem State at Frozen Fenway on January 7.
- 2014 UMass Boston Liberty Mutual Insurance Alumni Cup Golf Tournament
You can help the Department of Athletics support our student athletes and youth from area neighborhoods by participating in the 2014 UMass Boston Liberty Mutual Insurance Alumni Cup Golf Tournament.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (November 26-December 2)
Men's Basketball Head Coach Charlie Titus goes for his 301st win tonight at 7:30.
- UMass Boston Basketball Head Coach Charlie Titus Records 300th Win
UMass Boston men's basketball (3-2) overcame a 13-point first-half deficit to help Head Coach Charlie Titus earn win number 300 at the varsity level Friday afternoon.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (November 19-November 25)
The volleyball team (24-16) nearly pulled off an upset in the NCAA national tournament on Thursday, but fell short of its goal to best the top Division III team, Calvin College, and advance.
- Frozen Fenway Hockey Tickets Now On Sale
UMass Boston men's hockey team got a precursor to their Frozen Fenway game Tuesday afternoon, as members of the Beacons and Salem State University Vikings visited Fenway Park for the official coin flip.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (November 13-November 18)
The UMass Boston volleyball team (24-15) left for Holland, Michigan on Tuesday, taking the next step toward an NCAA title.
- Beacons Volleyball Wins 3rd Regional NCAA Title in 4 Years
The UMass Boston volleyball team defeated Williams College on Sunday to capture their third regional crown in four years. The Beacons will play in the first round of the NCAA national tourney on Thursday.
- Donated Keys Converted into $1,700 Check for UMass Boston Food Pantry
Unused keys collected at UMass Boston last year are supporting students in need, just in time for the holiday season.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (November 7-November 12)
The Beacons (21-15) will face Wellesley College Friday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA tournament following their fifth straight Little East Conference tournament title.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (October 30-November 6)
The No. 1 Beacons take on No. 5 Eastern Connecticut State University at home today at 1:30 p.m. in the Little East Conference tournament semifinals.
- UMass Boston Student-Athletes Scare Up Fun at BPD’s Halloween Open House
After prisoners were transported to other facilities, the officers converted the holding cells into a haunted house, complete with spider webs, a spooky soundtrack, and roaming UMass Boston students providing some extra scares.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (October 22-29)
The UMass Boston women’s volleyball team (17-13) secured their fifth straight Little East Conference regular season title Tuesday night.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (October 15-21)
The UMass Boston women's tennis team (6-9) is aiming for their first postseason team win in program history this afternoon.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (October 8-14)
The men's and women's soccer teams were 2-0 on the week and the women's tennis team kept their playoff hopes alive with back-to-back wins for the first time since 2011.
- UMass Boston to Induct 6 Athletes, Tennis Team into Hall of Fame
UMass Boston’s Division of Athletics and Recreation, Special Programs and Projects will induct its eleventh Hall of Fame class on Thursday at 5: 30 p.m. at the Clark Athletic Center.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (October 1-7)
Freshman tennis player Nuha Muntasser has been named the Little East Conference Rookie of the Week for the second time this season.
- UMass Boston Men’s Ice Hockey Selected for 2014 Citi Frozen Fenway Showcase
The Beacons will face the Salem State University Vikings on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 4 p.m. at Fenway Park.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (September 24-30)
The women's volleyball and soccer teams are tied for first place in their respective conferences.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (September 17-23)
The men's and women's soccer teams are 2-0 in the Little East Conference and volleyball alumna Shannon Thompson '13 has become the first player in program history to sign a professional contract.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (September 10-16)
The men’s soccer team won two more games this week, pushing their record to 5-2 and securing their best start since 2006.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (September 3-9)
The men's soccer team was 2-0 on the week, which included a huge 7-0 win over Emmanuel College.
- Intramural 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament
Sign up your team for the 3-on-3 basketball tournament!
- The Week in Beacons Sports (Aug. 26-Sept. 2)
Coaches in the Little East Conference have made the Beacons women’s volleyball team their pick to repeat as conference champions this year. The women's soccer team has also been picked to repeat.
- 2013 Welcome Week Events: September 5
Enjoy free snacks before class, support the Beacons and watch the men's soccer team take on Emmanuel College, and get discounted tickets to the Broadway touring production of Wicked.
- Six Beacons Qualify for NCAA Track Championship
For the first time in almost 30 years, a group of University of Massachusetts Boston athletes will compete in the NCAA Division III Outdoor Track and Field National Championship meet.
- UMass Boston Hosts 2.62 Mile Run/Walk for Marathon Victims
UMass Boston is inviting students, faculty, staff, and community members to participate in the UMass Boston Strong 2.62 Mile Run/Walk on Thursday to raise money for the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (April 29-May 5)
Men’s Tennis Wins First Little East Conference Title in 23 Years
- UMass Boston Strong 2.62 Mile Run/Walk
Join the Division of Athletics, Recreation, Special Programs and Projects in an event to benefit The One Fund Boston and the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (April 22-April 28)
For the first time in UMass Boston history, all five spring sports teams have qualified for the postseason.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (April 8-April 21)
The men’s tennis team is enjoying an eight-game winning streak, which matches the longest unbeaten stretch in team history.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (April 1-April 7)
Tennis, baseball teams go undefeated in Little East Conference play
- Soccer, Volleyball Teams Receive Championship Rings
The women’s volleyball team, winners of their fourth straight Little East Conference regular season and tournament titles, had some company at the championship ring ceremony on Monday -- the women's soccer team.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (March 25-March 31)
The men’s baseball team (6-6) won all three of its games this week, including a doubleheader at UMass Dartmouth on Saturday.
- 11th Annual Athletics Hall of Fame Induction Celebration
Join us as the university celebrates UMass Boston's greatest athletes and inducts the Class of 2013 into the Hall of Fame.
- 2013 UMass Boston Liberty Mutual Insurance Alumni Cup Golf Tournament
Registration for the UMass Boston Liberty Mutual Insurance Alumni Cup Golf Tournament starts at noon; the shotgun start is at 1:30. The awards dinner is at 6:30.
- Leadership in Sports: Boston Celtics Captain Paul Pierce Speaks on Campus
The Undergraduate Student Government and the Division of Athletics and Recreation, Special Projects and Programs is bringing Paul Pierce to campus as part of the Leadership in Sports series.
- Celtics Captain Paul Pierce to Speak on Campus Thursday
Boston Celtics captain Paul Pierce is coming to UMass Boston on Thursday to speak to students about leadership in sports. He will be joined by Tara Mardigan, a nutritionist for the Boston Red Sox, and Bob Ryan, a columnist emeritus at The Boston Globe.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (March 4-March 10)
UMass Boston Senior Hockey Player Named to Phoenix Coyotes Affiliate
- The Week in Beacons Sports (February 25-March 3)
Hockey Teams Close Out Season; Men’s Lacrosse Picks up First Win
- Beacons Hockey Teams Advance to ECAC Semifinals
Both the men's and women's hockey teams will play in the ECAC East tournament semifinals this weekend following big wins in their first-round games.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (February 11-17)
The regular season may be over, but four Beacons squads are headed to the playoffs this week.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (February 4-February 10)
New Program Records Set at Little East Conference/New England Alliance Indoor Championship