- Track and Field Brings Home Second National Championship This Year
Two months after winning the 2018 Indoor National Championship in Birmingham, Alabama, the Beacons are the co-winners of the 2018 Outdoor National Championship.
- Four Seniors to Spend Commencement at Outdoor Track and Field Championship
Eight Beacons will be representing UMass Boston at the Outdoor Track and Field Championship, which starts on Thursday in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Four of those who are going to be participating—Dom Nda, Garth Miriyoga, Taylor Driggers, and Lexy Bean—are seniors, and will be missing commencement.
- Baseball Wins LEC Title, Third Straight Trip to NCAA Tournament
UMass Boston’s baseball team is heading back to the NCAA Tournament. The Beacons will face the Penn State Berks on Thursday at 1 p.m. at Whitehouse Field in Harwich.
- UMass Boston Women’s Track and Field Crowned NCAA Indoor National Champions
Sophomore Wadeline Jonathas won four individual titles to lead the UMass Boston women's track and field team to a fifth national title at the 2018 Indoor National Championship in Birmingham, Alabama on Saturday.
- Beacon Makes History: Larkin ‘18 Becomes First Hockey Player to Sign with NHL Team
Colin Larkin signed a one-year, entry-level contract with the Edmonton Oilers and an amateur tryout contract with the Oilers’s American Hockey League affiliate, the Bakersfield Condors, on Monday.
- Women’s Basketball Wins First-Ever Little East Conference Title
The third time was the charm for the UMass Boston women’s basketball team, who beat UMass Dartmouth for the first time this season to take home their first-ever Little East Conference Tournament crown on Saturday. The team has an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
- UMass Boston Hockey and Basketball Teams Advance in Conference Playoffs
All of UMass Boston’s hockey and basketball teams have advanced in the postseason.
- Celebrating A First: All Beacons Winter Sports Teams Hosting Playoff Games
For the first time in UMass Boston history, all four winter sports teams are hosting a conference tournament game. The playoff push begins on Saturday, February 17 with a New England Conference Tournament doubleheader in the Edward T. Barry Ice Rink.
- Sophomore Wadeline Jonathas Breaks 2 DIII Records, Team Ranked No. 6
UMass Boston has risen from No. 9 to No. 6 in this week’s NCAA Division III Women’s Indoor Track & Field National Team Computer Rankings, in large part to the record-setting performance of sophomore business major Wadeline Jonathas, who broke two NCAA Division III records a week apart.
- Women’s Volleyball Earns 8th Conference Tournament Title; Will Play in NCAA Regional Friday
UMass Boston secured its eighth Little East Conference Tournament title on Saturday and earned a spot in the 2017 NCAA Division III Women's Volleyball Championship Tournament New England Regional.
- UMass Boston Honors Nearly 100 Student Athletes at Annual Ring Ceremony
UMass Boston Athletics honored nearly 100 student athletes at its annual ring ceremony on Thursday, a record for the university in a given academic year.
- Native Student Athletes Strengthen Cultural Ties at UMass Boston
UMass Boston is home to a minor in Native American and indigenous studies and four minority research institutions, including the Institute for New England Native American Studies.
- UMass Boston Freshman Wadeline Jonathas Brings Home Two More National Titles
Wadeline Jonathas, a freshman originally from Gonaives, Haiti, picked up two more national titles over Memorial Day weekend at the NCAA Division III Outdoor Track & Field Championship Meet in Geneva, Ohio.
- UMass Boston Freshman Runs Away with National Title
This weekend in Naperville, Illinois, Little East Indoor Rookie Field and Track Athlete of the Year Wadeline Jonathas secured her first national title in the 400-meter dash with a time of 55.60.
- Men’s Soccer Advances to Sweet 16
UMass Boston’s men’s soccer team picked up the first two NCAA Tournament wins in program history over the weekend, moving the Beacons on to the Sweet 16 this Saturday, November 19, against Tufts University.
- Volleyball and Men’s Soccer Repeat as Conference Tourney Champs; NCAA Tournament Starts Friday
The women’s volleyball team is on their way to a seventh NCAA Division III regional tournament in eight years. The men's soccer team is also NCAA Tournament bound, thanks to the team’s third consecutive Little East Conference Tournament title.
- Men’s Soccer, Women’s Volleyball Win Regular Season Titles; Tourney Play Starts Wednesday
The men's soccer team secured another Little East Conference regular season title on Saturday. They begin their quest for a third straight conference tournament title on Wednesday.
- “Beaconville” Celebrates Class of 2016 Hall of Fame Inductees
Beacons Athletics inducted five of its most distinguished alumni – and the entire championship 2010 baseball team – into the UMass Boston Athletics Hall of Fame at a celebration Thursday night.
- UMass Boston to Induct 2016 Hall of Fame Class on Thursday
UMass Boston will induct the Class of 2016 on Thursday, October 13 at 6 p.m. in the Campus Center Ballroom during the 14th Annual UMass Boston Athletics Hall of Fame Induction Celebration.
- UMass Boston Men’s Hockey Team Part of Capital One Frozen Fenway 2017
The UMass Boston men’s hockey team will once again play a game at Fenway Park. Fenway Sports Management announced today UMass Boston will take on Babson College on Thursday, January 12 at 7:30 p.m. as part of Capital One Frozen Fenway 2017.
- UMass Boston Community Sends Men’s Hockey Off to the NCAA Frozen Four
UMass Boston students, staff, and faculty sent the UMass Boston men's hockey team off to Lake Placid with a pep rally on Wednesday morning.
- Historic Season Continues: Men’s Hockey to Play in NCAA Frozen Four on Friday
The men's hockey team is headed to the program's first NCAA Frozen Four. They are the first program in UMass Boston history to reach the Final Four in any sport, and they’ll be on ice with some history of its own.
- Men’s Hockey Advances to NCAA Quarterfinals
The Beacons won their first-ever NCAA Division III tournament game over the weekend. They knocked off the defending champions, the Trinity College Bantams, with a 4-0 shutout victory.
- Beacons Baseball Shuts Out MIT in First-Ever Game at Monan Park
UMass Boston’s baseball team opened the new J. Donald Monan, SJ Park in style on Monday, beating MIT 4-0.
- Making History: Men’s and Women’s Hockey Teams Advance to NCAA Tournament for First Time
Following a record-breaking weekend, UMass Boston’s men’s and women’s hockey teams learned Monday which opponents they’ll face in their first-ever appearances in the NCAA tournament.
- Men’s Hockey Wins First Title Since 1982; Conference Tourney Starts Saturday
The UMass Boston’s men’s hockey team won their first regular season conference title since 1982 on Saturday, securing home ice advantage throughout the New England Hockey Conference Tournament.
- Beacons Baseball Team Practices in New Monan Park for the First Time
Monan Park is a shared baseball complex that features a replica Green Monster and a 500-seat field with the same dimensions as Fenway Park.
- No. 5 Men’s Hockey Sees Highest-Ever Ranking in Two National Polls
The Beacons are No. 5 in both the D3Hockey.com Top 15 Poll and the USCHO.com Division III Poll.
- UMass Boston Men’s Soccer, Volleyball Teams Advance to NCAA Tournament
Both the men's soccer and the volleyball team won Little East Conference championship games on Saturday, ensuring automatic NCAA tournament bids.
- UMass Boston Inducts 13th Hall of Fame Class
UMass Boston’s Athletics Department inducted its 13th Hall of Fame class on Tuesday. Several of the new inductees shared memories of their playing days at UMass Boston and Boston State College.
- Beacons Spotlight: Women’s Tennis Returns to Conference Playoffs
UMass Boston’s women’s tennis team travels to No. 4 UMass Dartmouth Tuesday afternoon for their first match of the 2015 Little East Conference Tournament.
- UMass Boston to Induct 2015 Hall of Fame Class Tuesday
The 13th Annual Athletics Hall of Fame Induction Celebration starts at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 20 in the Campus Center ballroom.
- UMass Boston Athletics Begins Yearlong Commitment to Pine Street Inn
UMass Boston Athletics last week became the first program in the state to make a full-year commitment to the Pine Street Inn.
- UMass Boston’s Men’s Soccer Team No. 23 in National Poll
For the first time in program history, UMass Boston’s men’s soccer team is ranked in a national poll. On Tuesday, the 10-0 Beacons moved up to No. 23 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America NCAA Division III Top 25 Poll.
- Men’s Hockey Receives First NCAA Statistical Champion Plaque
The 2013-14 men's and women's track and field teams and the 2014-15 men's hockey team were honored for their past accomplishments on Monday
- Student-Athletes Snap Selfies with Professors in “We Are One” Campaign
Beginning this fall, Beacons Athletics will launch a campaign called “We Are One” that highlights the relationships our student-athlete population shares with administration, faculty, and staff.
- Terry Condon to Be Inducted into American Volleyball Coaches Association Hall of Fame
UMass Boston volleyball coach Terry Condon, who has turned the Beacons into a Division III powerhouse, has been chosen as a member of the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s 13th annual Hall of Fame class.
- UMass Boston Alumnae Inducted into New England Basketball Hall of Fame
Former men's basketball coach Charlie Titus and women's basketball alumnae Andreen Gilpin '04 and Eileen Fenton '91 were honored by the New England Basketball Hall of Fame on Saturday.
- UMass Boston, BC High to Break Ground on Community Baseball Complex
Joining forces, Boston College High School and the University of Massachusetts Boston will break ground on a new shared community baseball complex with a ceremony on Thursday, June 11 at 4 p.m. at BC High.
- “Bobbi the Beacon” to Graduate Friday
Three-sport athlete Kirsten Morrison is one of a handful of students who plays Bobby the Beacon at campus events.
- Beacons Spotlight: Kyle Szatrowski Closes Out College Career with Pitcher of the Week Honors
Senior marketing major Kyle Szatrowski is ending his Beacons career the same way he started it – in record-setting fashion. Szatrowski was named the Little East Conference Pitcher of the Week for striking out a career-best nine batters in a 16-7 win over Western Connecticut State.
- Coach Titus Receives NABC Guardians of the Game Leadership Award
Charlie Titus is the first coach in Little East Conference history to win the NABC's Guardians of the Game Leadership Award.
- Baseball, Softball Teams Earn First Wins of the Season on Spring Break Trip to Florida
Continuing an annual tradition, the Beacons softball and baseball teams have arrived in Florida for their first games of the season.
- Race and Gender in Sports Expert to Beacon Athletes: You Have the Power to Affect Change
Conversation with Richard Lapchick kicks off the planning for a sport management program at UMass Boston.
- Beacons Sports: Basketball, Hockey Teams Begin Conference Tournament Play
The UMass Boston men’s hockey team earned a spot in this Saturday’s ECAC East conference semifinals by besting Skidmore College 11-1 over the weekend.
- Beacons Spotlight: Albee Daley Provides Assists On and Off the Ice
Sophomore forward Albee Daley is hoping to provide a spark this Saturday when No. 2 UMass Boston hosts No. 7 Skidmore College at 7 p.m. in the ECAC East quarterfinals.
- Beacons Spotlight: Cappione Boosts Beacons Offensive Attack
Alexa Cappione's defense will be crucial for the women's hockey team as the Beacons approach the final week of the regular season.
- Beacons Spotlight: Two-Sport Star Carl Joseph Nets 1,000th Point
UMass Boston's first three-time All-American in track and field notches 1,000th point as a member of the men's basketball team. Oh, and he drives the Zamboni too.
- Beacons Sports: Two Beacons Join 1,000 Point Club
Two UMass Boston Beacons joined the 1,000 point club this fall.
- Beacons Sports: Undefeated Men’s Hockey Team to Host 50th Codfish Bowl Tournament
The men's hockey team will host the 50th Annual Codfish Bowl Tournament starting Sunday, while the women's hockey team will host the 8th Annual Codfish Bowl Tournament today.
- Men’s Hockey Team Sets Program Record With No. 5 Ranking in National Poll
On Monday, the University of Massachusetts Boston men’s hockey team received their highest-ever national ranking. The Beacons are No. 5 in the USCHO.com poll, up one spot from last week.
- After 40 Years, Charlie Titus to Retire from Coaching at End of Basketball Season
After nearly four decades at the helm of the University of Massachusetts Boston men’s basketball program, Head Coach Charlie Titus has announced that the 2014–15 season will be his last on the Beacons bench.
- UMass Boston Community Celebrates Fall Student-Athletes
Students, faculty, staff, and UMass Boston mascot Bobby the Beacon gathered Wednesday, November 19 to show their appreciation for the fall Beacons athletics teams. For the first time in school history, all three fall sports squads competed in the Little East Conference tournament.
- Celebrate a Banner Year for the Beacons
Come to the Campus Center for refreshments, music, and free t-shirts!
- Men’s Soccer Team Advances to First NCAA Tournament
The UMass Boston men’s soccer team will travel to Dudley, Massachusetts to face Nichols College on Thursday at 1 p.m. in the first round of the Division III NCAA tournament.
- UMass Boston to Host Three Conference Semifinal Matches This Week
The men's soccer team plays Wednesday at 1:30 p.m., the women's soccer team plays on Thursday at 1:30 p.m., and the volleyball team plays on Saturday at noon.
- Beacons Sports: Men’s Soccer Wins First Regular Season Conference Title; Volleyball 6th
The men’s soccer team won its first regular season Little East Conference title on Sunday, the volleyball team has won its sixth consecutive conference title on Tuesday, and the women’s soccer team could earn a conference title on Saturday.
- UMass Boston Hockey Players Read for the Record
Beacons icers team up with preschoolers to set a national record
- Beacons Spotlight: Krista Ledin Becomes First to Score 200 Points
Krista Ledin, a senior nursing major, has become the first soccer player in Beacons and Little East Conference history to score more than 200 points.
- UMass Boston to Induct 12th Hall of Fame Class on October 9
As part of the university’s 50th anniversary celebration, UMass Boston’s Division of Athletics and Recreation, Special Programs and Projects will induct its twelfth Hall of Fame class on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
- Beacons Sports: Men’s, Women’s Soccer Earn Shutout Wins in Conference Openers
The men’s and women’s soccer teams have both started their seasons strong in the Little East Conference, while the women's volleyball team is on a 10-game win streak.
- Beacons Sports: Volleyball Nets Coach Condon 200th Win
The volleyball team’s 3-0 victory over Babson College on Friday gave Terry Condon her 200th win as the Beacons head coach.
- UMass Boston Volleyball Team No. 22 in National Preseason Poll
UMass Boston’s volleyball team is ranked No. 22 in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) preseason poll, only the second time in program history the Beacons have been ranked to open the year.
- UMass Boston High Jumper Overcomes Hurdles On, Off Track
The holder of UMass Boston's indoor high jump record is nearly blind in his left eye.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Senior Outfielder Co-Conference Player of the Year
Senior Jamill Moquete recorded 45 hits, including seven doubles, six triples, and four home runs.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Baseball to Open LEC Tournament Play on Wednesday
UMass Boston’s baseball team will take on UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the opening round of the Little East Conference Tournament.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Track and Field Brings Home 8 Gold Medals
UMass Boston sophomore Hulerie McGuffie set a Little East Conference record with five gold medals at the LEC Outdoor Championship over the weekend.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Freshman Shatters 1986 Record at Track Meet
Freshman Taylor Smith broke both the 1986 UMass Boston program record and the meet record with her throw of 129-01 feet.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Women’s Softball Coach Picks up 100th Win
Softball Head Coach Natalia Ardagna has more wins than any previous Beacons softball coach.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Men’s Tennis Sweeps Conference Honors
The men’s tennis team (1-5) picked up both weekly Little East Conference (LEC) honors on Monday.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Baseball Erases 5-Run Deficit With Walk-Off Win in Florida
The University of Massachusetts Boston Beacons came back from a five-run deficit in the ninth inning to defeat Bethel University, 8-7 on Thursday.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Sprinter Hulerie McGuffie Places 2nd at Indoor National Championships
Sophomore Hulerie McGuffie has become the first Beacon to earn back-to-back All-America honors in more than 20 years.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Sophomore Sprinter Qualifies for Nationals
Sophomore sprinter Hulerie McGuffie will be representing UMass Boston at the indoor national championships this weekend. This is the first time UMass Boston has been represented at the indoor national championships in more than 20 years.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Lacrosse Opens Season with a Win
Sophomore lacrosse player Noah Ellis of Hingham scored four times to lead the UMass Boston Beacons (1-0) to a 12-3 season-opening rout of Johnson & Wales University on Saturday.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Hockey Advances, Basketball Conference Tourney Starts Tonight
Men’s hockey Head Coach Peter Belisle picked up his 100th win on Saturday as the Beacons trumped No. 6 seed University of New England, 7-2, in the ECAC East playoffs.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Track Stars Win Gold, Hockey Teams Prepare for Playoffs
Hulerie McGuffie earned two gold medals and Renee O'Brien of Stoneham earned one at the Little East Conference/New England Alliance Championship meet on Saturday.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Men’s, Women’s Hockey Victorious on Senior Day
Travis Daniel ties a program record with his 11th career game-winning goal in a win against the University of New England.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Relay Teams Post Top Times at Stampede Classic
The UMass Boston men's and women's 4x200 relay teams took first and second place, respectively, at the Tufts University Stampede Classic on Saturday.
- The Week in Beacons Sports: Olivia Murphy Player of the Week for 3rd Time
Sophomore Olivia Murphy of Canton was named the Little East Conference Player of the Week after leading the women’s basketball team (11-6) to a 1-1 week.
- Beacons Assistant Hockey Coach Heads to Sochi for 2014 Winter Olympics
Molly Schaus says her three years as an assistant hockey coach for the UMass Boston women's hockey team has prepared her for the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Track and Field Sets 5 Personal Bests
Four Beacons set personal bests at the Ramapo College Indoor Select in New York City on Saturday. Freshman Christopher Sian-Aguirre posted two career bests for a school total of five.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Men’s Hockey Earns Highest Ranking in School History
With three wins this week, the UMass Boston’s men’s hockey team (12-1-2) moved up to No. 6 in the D3Hockey.com Top 15 poll and No. 11 in the USCHO.com national poll.
- Beacons Freeze Salem State in Memorable Citi Frozen Fenway Matchup
The University of Massachusetts Boston Beacons braved the frigid 11-degree temperature and defeated the Salem State Vikings 4-2 in front of 1,100 fans at Citi Frozen Fenway on Tuesday.
- This Week in Beacons Sports: Hockey Teams Take Codfish Bowl Tournament
The Beacons enter today's Citi Frozen Fenway contest against Salem State University with a 10-game unbeaten streak.
- 2014 Winter Welcome Week Events: February 1
Go on a ski trip to Pats Peak or cheer on the Beacons.
- 2014 Winter Welcome Week Events: January 31
As Winter Welcome Week nears the end, cheer on the men's hockey team in the Clark Athletic Center.
- Beacons To Sport Custom Throwback Uniforms at Frozen Fenway Game Tuesday
UMass Boston Head Coach Peter Belisle worked with alumnus Dick Kelley ‘70 and Custom Crafted in North Attleboro to develop special uniforms for Citi Frozen Fenway.
- Frozen Fenway Tailgate Planned for UMass Boston Freshmen
UMass Boston will take on Salem State University on Tuesday, January 7 in the first 2014 Citi Frozen Fenway in the shadow of the Green Monster.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (December 10-December 16)
The University of Massachusetts Boston men’s hockey team ends 2013 in great position, with just one tournament remaining before the January 7 Frozen Fenway game against Salem State University.
- Men’s Tennis, Track Athletes Receive Championship Rings
On Thursday, the 2013 men’s tennis team and the indoor and outdoor track individual and relay winners received their Little East Conference championship rings.
- Frozen Fenway: Beacons Face Off Against Salem State University
The UMass Boston Beacons will face the Salem State University Vikings on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 4 p.m. at Fenway Park.
- The Week in Beacon Sports (December 3-9)
Sophomore Olivia Murphy Little East Player of the Week for the Second Straight Week
- The Week in Beacons Sports (November 26-December 2)
Men's Basketball Head Coach Charlie Titus goes for his 301st win tonight at 7:30.
- UMass Boston Basketball Head Coach Charlie Titus Records 300th Win
UMass Boston men's basketball (3-2) overcame a 13-point first-half deficit to help Head Coach Charlie Titus earn win number 300 at the varsity level Friday afternoon.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (November 19-November 25)
The volleyball team (24-16) nearly pulled off an upset in the NCAA national tournament on Thursday, but fell short of its goal to best the top Division III team, Calvin College, and advance.
- Frozen Fenway Hockey Tickets Now On Sale
UMass Boston men's hockey team got a precursor to their Frozen Fenway game Tuesday afternoon, as members of the Beacons and Salem State University Vikings visited Fenway Park for the official coin flip.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (November 13-November 18)
The UMass Boston volleyball team (24-15) left for Holland, Michigan on Tuesday, taking the next step toward an NCAA title.
- Beacons Volleyball Wins 3rd Regional NCAA Title in 4 Years
The UMass Boston volleyball team defeated Williams College on Sunday to capture their third regional crown in four years. The Beacons will play in the first round of the NCAA national tourney on Thursday.
- Donated Keys Converted into $1,700 Check for UMass Boston Food Pantry
Unused keys collected at UMass Boston last year are supporting students in need, just in time for the holiday season.
- The Week in Beacons Sports (November 7-November 12)
The Beacons (21-15) will face Wellesley College Friday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA tournament following their fifth straight Little East Conference tournament title.