- Spring 2018 Biology Seminar Series: Kristen Vella
Biology Professor Catherine McCusker will be bringing in guest speaker Kristen Vella from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center & Harvard Medical School.
- Wanted: Citizen Scientists to Identify Giant Kelp in Falklands and Beyond
Today, Assistant Professor of Biology Jarrett Byrnes and his colleagues are launching a new, improved NASA-funded Floating Forests website which will give citizen scientists the chance to help explore more of the world’s kelp forests from their desktops or phones.
- Biology Dimensions of Sustainability Winter Symposium 2017
The Biology Department at UMass Boston presents the Dimensions of Sustainability Winter Symposium 2017, titled Salt Marshes Under Stress: Current Trends, Future Scenarios.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Johan Eklof
Christian Alsterberg will be bringing in guest speaker Johan Eklof from Stockholm University.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Catherine Bevier
Biology Professor Douglas Woodhams will be bringing in guest speaker Catherine Bevier from Colby College.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Brian Cheng
Biology Professor Jarrett Byrnes will be bringing in guest speaker Brian Cheng from UMass Amherst.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Hanine Barek and Justin Cotellessa
Biology Professor Manickam Sugumaran will be bringing in guest speaker Hanine Barek and Director for CPCT Jill Macoska will be bringing in guest speaker Justin Cotellessa.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Laura Parfrey
Biology Professor Doug Woodhams will be bringing in guest speaker Laura Parfrey from the University of British Columbia.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Daniel Kliebenstein
Daniel Acuna-Hurtado will be bringing in guest speaker Daniel Kliebenstein from UC Davis.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Ljubica Petrovic and Kaitlyn Webster
Biology Professor Kellee Siegfried and Physics Professor Jonathan Celli will be bringing in UMass Boston PhD students.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Paolo Forni
Biology Professor Kate McCusker will be bringing in guest speaker Paolo Forni from the University of Albany.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Jeff Podos
Biology Professor Luis De Leon will be bringing in guest speaker Jeff Podos from UMass Amherst.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Joseph Corbo
Biology professor Jens Rister will be bringing in guest speaker Joseph Corbo from Washington University Medical School.
- Fall 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Adam Martin
Biology Professor Alexey Veraksa will be bringing in guest speaker Adam Martin from MIT.
- UMass Boston Scientists Honored by EPA New England for Contributions to Environmental Stewardship
Urban-Rich and Shiaris received the 2017 Environmental Merit Award for their work with the Outfall Monitoring Science Advisory Panel (OMSAP).
- UMass Boston Postdoctoral Researcher Works to Save Salamanders from Deadly Fungus
Molly Bletz received a 2017 David H. Smith Conservation Research Fellowship from the Society for Conservation Biology and the Cedar Tree Foundation.
- UMass Boston Scientist Finds Link Between West Nile Virus and Mosquito Microbiomes
UMass Boston research reveals that mosquitos that lack beneficial bacteria are more likely to carry the West Nile virus.
- UMass Boston Researcher Uses Fly Eyes to Understand Colorblindness and Cancer
Rister, an assistant professor of biology at UMass Boston, researches how color vision develops, using the fly eye as a model.
- UMass Boston Scientist Seeks New Clues to Hereditary Breast Cancer
Shailja Pathania, assistant assistant professor of cancer biology at UMass Boston, has received a DoD Breast Cancer Breakthrough award.
- Scientist Studies How Electric Fish Evolved – and How They Buzz to Find a Mate
Scientists don't yet know how, or why, each species of electric fish uses a different electrical frequency.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Hemayet Ullah
Biology Professor Adan Colon-Carmona is hosting this week's Seminar Series. He is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Hemayet Ullah from Howard University.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Beronda Montgomery
Biology Professor Adan Colon-Carmona is hosting this week's Seminar Series. He is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Beronda Montgomery from Michigan State University.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Nichole Price
Biology Professor Jarrett Byrnes is hosting this week's Seminar Series. He is bringing in guest speaker Dr Nichole Price from Bigelow Labs.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Raffi Aroian
Biology Professor Linda Huang is hosting this week's Seminar Series. She is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Raffi Aroian from the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Will Ricke
Biology Professor Jill Macoska is hosting this week's Seminar Series. She is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Wil Ricke from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. Christian Alsterberg
Biology Professor Jarrett Byrnes is hosting this week's Seminar Series. He is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Christian Alsterberg.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. Tim Rebbeck
Biology Professor Jill Macoska is hosting this week's Seminar Series. She is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Tim Rebbeck from the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. Joanna Dahl
Biology Professor Rob Stevenson is hosting this week's Seminar Series. He is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Joanna Dahl from the University of Massachusetts Boston.
- Spring 2017 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. Caitlin Gabor
Biology Professor Douglas Woodhams is hosting this week's Seminar Series. He is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Caitlin Gabor from Texas State University.
- UMass Boston Scientist Studies “Rockstars of Ocean Resilience”
A new paper reveals changes to kelp forests around the world.
- UMass Boston and Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center U54 Partnership Receive $17.8M
Grant supports cancer disparity research and training of minority researchers
- Biology Dimensions of Sustainability Winter Symposium 2016
Research fellow Reinmar Seidler is bringing in four guest speakers, Sarah Phillips, Richard Primack, Steve Long, and Peter Frumhoff on Climate Change in New England: What Can We Learn from History?
- Genomics Core to Have a Principal Role in the UMass Boston/DFHCC U54 Cancer Research Partnership
U54 $8.5M grant awarded to UMass Boston and Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center will be a boon for cancer researchers.
- UMass Boston Professor Studies Cell Signaling, with Implications for Cancer & Down Syndrome
Associate Professor of biology Alexey Veraksa received a $1.6 Million grant from NIH
- Fall 2016 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. David Zarkower
Biology Professor Kellee Siegfried is hosting this week's Seminar Series. She is bringing in guest speaker Dr. David Zarkower from the University of Minnesota.
- Fall 2016 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. Brian Lewis
Biology Professor Adan Colon-Carmona is hosting this week's Seminar Series. He is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Brian Lewis from the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
- Fall 2016 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. Cori Zawacki
Biology Professor Doug Woodhams is hosting this week's Seminar Series. He will be bringing in guest speaker Dr. Cori Zawacki from the University of Pittsburgh.
- Fall 2016 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. Monica Colaiacovo
Biology Professor Kellee Siegfried will be hosting this week's Seminar Series. She is bringing in guest speaker Dr. Monica Colaiacovo from Harvard Medical School.
- Fall 2016 Biology Seminar Series: Dr. Robert Bagchi
Biology Professor Jarrett Byrnes will be hosting this week's Seminar Series. He is bringing in speaker Dr. Robert Bagchi from the University of Connecticut.
- Fall 2016 Biology Seminar Series: Marc Hensel & Gwen Cramer
Biology Professors Jarrett Byrnes and Jonathan Celli will be hosting this week's Seminar Series. They are bringing in PhD candidates Marc Hensel and Gwen Cramer from UMass Boston.
- Fall 2016 Biology Seminar Series: Drosophila Symposium
Professor Alexey Veraksa will be hosting this week's Seminar Series, the Inaugural Boston Area Drosophila Meeting!
- Family, Coworkers Inspire Participants in UMass Boston’s First Relay for Life
UMass Boston’s first Relay for Life event raised $10,000 for the American Cancer Society.
- UMass Boston to Walk for Cancer Research at First Campus Relay for Life Event April 26
UMass Boston is hosting a Relay for Life event on campus for the first time this week. Organizers are encouraging the UMass Boston community to go online and either sign up to walk from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26 in the Clark Athletic Center or donate.
- Spring 2016 Biology Seminar Series: Sarath Chandra Janga
Biology professor Todd Riley brings in speaker Sarath Chandra Janga from Indiana University - Purdue, University of Indianapolis.
- Bluefin Tuna Spawning Ground Discovered off of New England
The spawning ground is located in a broad area of the open ocean called the Slope Sea, south of New England and east of the Mid-Atlantic states.
- New Research from UMass Boston Scientist Could Save Amphibian Lives
Doug Woodhams investigates new methods to fight chytrid fungus.
- Evolution as a General Theoretical Framework for the Human Social Sciences
The Office of the Vice Provost for Research and Strategic Initiatives invites you to this lecture with professor and author David Sloan Wilson.
- Ninth Annual Research Celebration Highlights Faculty Achievements
On December 1, UMass Boston cheered on its star researchers at Annual Research Celebration.
- Dimensions of Sustainability: Winter Symposium 2015
William Clark, William Moomaw, Karen Seto, Jianguo Liu, McCormack Graduate School Dean David Cash, and UMass Boston's Kamal Bawa will speak on "Sustainability Science: Roots and Branches."
- UMass Boston Scientist Studies Bacteria that Rehabilitate the Cape Cod Coast
UMass Boston scientist imagines a future in which we will be able to prescribe “a probiotic for the environment” to help restore coastal waters.
- New Class Dives Deep for Scientific Research
Summer course offers students the opportunity to learn to scuba dive for research
- Dimensions of Sustainability: Earth Day Symposium
Part of UMass Boston Earth Weeks 2015, Steve Franks, Anna Savage, and Mark Urban will speak on "Rapid Genetic Change in Response to Climate Pressures: What Do We Need to Know?"
- “Hero of the Planet” Peter Raven Delivers Stark Sustainability Message at UMass Boston
Earth is suffering because first-world nations have failed to control their consumption, Raven told a large crowd Tuesday in the Lipke Auditorium.
- Saving Life, Saving Ourselves: Time Magazine’s “Hero of the Planet” Peter Raven
The Biology Department invites you to this special university-wide lecture with one of the most prominent biologists in recent times.
- Biology Department Spring 2015 Seminar Series: Painting Life with DNA
Maier Avendano, a PhD candidate at Harvard Medical School, will present on Painting Life with DNA.
- Biology Department Spring 2015 Seminar Series: Metalloenzyme Structure and Function
Assistant Professor of Chemistry Daniel Dowling will present on Metalloenzyme Structure and Function: Complex Natural Product Biosynthesis.
- Biology Department Spring 2015 Seminar Series: A Lizard’s Eye View
Dr. Manuel Leal of the University of Missouri will be the guest speaker at this biology seminar hosted by UMass Boston professor Liam Revell.
- Scientists Move to Integrated Sciences Complex, Research Begins
New facilities in the Integrated Sciences Complex come to life as professors move into their labs
- Sanofi Genzyme Fellows Prepare for Research and Future Careers
A total of 20 graduate and undergraduate Sanofi Genzyme Research Fellows are working on advanced research in life sciences in CSM.
- $8.3 Million Awarded to UMass Boston and University of Wisconsin for Urology Research
Jill Macoska and colleagues at the University of Wisconsin Madison will investigate causes of urological disease.
- 2nd Annual Sciences Grad School Fair
The Initiative for Maximizing Student Development invites you to meet and greet representatives from 15 summer and graduate science programs in New England.
- Queasy Over Oysters? UMass Boston Scientists Investigate Why Some Are Prone to Bad Bacteria
UMass Boston professors and grad students look for new ways to track bacteria outbreaks in oysters.
- UMass Boston Professor Kamal Bawa Wins MIDORI Prize
International prize recognizes Bawa's contributions to biodiversity conservation and sustainability.
- You Can Help Scientists Track Giant Kelp From Space!
UMass Boston scientist leads citizen science research project to investigate the “redwoods of the ocean”
- Anonymous Gift of $1 Million Will Advance Biology Research Efforts
This gift will launch the new Biology Graduate Research Endowment, which will support stipends for graduate students, travel to conferences, and graduate research projects for years to come.
- UMass Boston Biology Professor Honored at University of Alberta Convocation
The University of Alberta presented Kamaljit Bawa with an honorary doctor of science degree for his life’s work promoting social justice and conservation biology.
- UMass Boston Biology Professor Receives NSF Career Grant to Study Evolutionary Process
The National Science Foundation has given two UMass Boston biology professors its Early Career Development (CAREER) Award–the most prestigious grant the NSF awards to junior faculty.
- Undergraduates Collaborate with Peers in Scotland
Poster session celebrates exchange program with Glasgow Caledonian University.
- Venture Development Center Gets Boost from Massachusetts Life Sciences
Nearly $600,000 will go toward capital improvements to the VDC
- Glasgow Exchange Students Bring New Perspectives to UMass Boston
Exchange includes 80 students in Boston and Glasgow, Scotland.
- NSF Award Allows UMass Boston Professor to Study Local Salt Marshes
Jennifer Bowen will use $875,000 CAREER grant to study salt marsh restoration.
- Quality of Species, Not Quantity, is the Key to a Healthy Ecosystem
New research by graduate student Marc Hensel investigates salt marsh ecosystems.
- UMass Boston Scientist Helps Uncover Pesticide Resistance in Tiny Crustaceans
Helen Poynton is the co-author of a new article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- UMass Boston Student Launches Crowdfunding Campaign for Scientific Research
Biology graduate student Kenly Hiller launches a campaign on the crowdfunding website Microryza, which aims to be a Kickstarter for scientists.
- Center for Governance and Sustainability Team Publishes Groundbreaking Research
Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa and Research Associate Uttam Shrestha share cutting-edge findings on Nepalese fungus.
- Global Challenges in Climate Change Science & Policy
Distinguished Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa is hosting this Biology Department symposium. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- EEOS Department Deadline Approaching for Spring 2013 Semester on Nantucket
The Nantucket Environmental Studies Semester, lasting the whole Spring 2013 semester, allows EEOS and biology students to study gain real experience in Nantucket's "Living Lab."
- Liam Revell Receives $10,000 Grant from U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Grant Title: Endangered Species Research for Puerto Rican Boa
- UMass Boston Summer Research Symposium Poster Presentation
The UMass Boston-Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center U54 Partnership invites you to learn about research opportunities through UMass Boston and chat with current student researchers.
- Professor Kamal Bawa Feted at UMass Boston for Awards Success
University community honors 38-year faculty member
- UMass Boston Study Finds Himalayas Warming More Rapidly Than the Rest of the Earth
Distinguished Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa and graduate student Uttam Babu Shrestha have coauthored a study that finds the Himalayas is warming more rapidly than the rest of the globe.
- UMass Boston Researcher Donates $200K in Prize Money to Research Think Tank
Distinguished Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa has decided to donate his nearly $200,000 in winnings from the world’s first international sustainability award to the international think tank he founded.
- PhD Student Kenly Hiller Awarded EPA STAR Graduate Fellowship
Kenly Hiller has been awarded a prestigious Environmental Protection Agency STAR Graduate Fellowship.
- UMass Boston Researcher Recognized on Global Stage
Kamaljit Bawa, distinguished professor of biology at the University of Massachusetts Boston and faculty fellow at the Center for Governance and Sustainability, received two notable honors this week.
- Steven Bryant-Allen Shares First Prize for Best Student Poster
Bryant-Allen shared the first prize for best student poster at the 46th Annual Regional Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology.
- Assistant Professor of Biology Receives Funding from the MIT Sea Grant College Program
Jennifer Bowen received funding for her research proposal "Microbial Community Composition of Permeable Reactive Barriers: Who is Really Doing the Work?"
- UMass Boston Professor to Receive Jasper Loftus-Hills Young Investigator Award
Assistant Professor of Biology Liam Revell has been recognized by the American Society of Naturalists.
- UMass Boston Researcher to Receive World’s First Major Award for Sustainability Work
The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS) announced today that Kamal Bawa, distinguished professor of biology at the University of Massachusetts Boston, is the recipient of the Gunnerus Sustainability Award, the world’s first major international award for work on sustainability.
- Boston Biology Conference: Science Education Reform: Are We Pointing in the Same Direction?
AP Biology teachers and K-12 Biology teachers are invited to join co-sponsor UMass Boston for the first day of the 3-day Boston Biology Conference.
- Science Center Greenhouse one of UMass Boston’s “Hidden Jewels”
The Biology Department's greenhouse, located on the fourth floor of the Science Center, is used for everything from research to relaxation.
- Patterns of Biodiversity Inform History and Conservation of Chihuahuan Desert Springs
Dr. David Berg of Miami University speaks in the Biology Seminar Series.
- UMass Boston Student Engy Mui Among “29 Who Shine” in 2011
Engy Mui, a decorated U.S. Navy veteran and biology major in the Honors Program, is the “29 Who Shine” award winner from UMass Boston.
- Behavioral Epigenetics Takes Center Stage at UMass Boston Conference
Nearly 300 people working in neuroscience, behavioral sciences, drug addiction, and cellular and molecular biology attended a conference at UMass Boston.
- Luncheon Celebrates Faculty Success in Research, Innovation, Scholarship, and Creativity
More than 200 faculty, researchers, staff, and students attended a lunch which celebrated faculty success in research, innovation, and creativity.
- A Greenhouse Blooming with Activity
Greenhouse manager Jim Allen and his work-study students grew flowers for UMass Boston's exhibit at the 126th New England Spring Flower Show.