- UMass Boston’s COP21 Participants Discuss Paris Pact at Sustainable Solutions Lab Event
UMass Boston’s Sustainable Solutions Lab, a cross-disciplinary institute launched this semester to address the complex impacts of climate change, convened an expert panel Wednesday to discuss the lessons learned from the Paris Agreement, a historic international accord reached at December’s COP21 co
- Maria Ivanova Participates in Second Meeting of the UN Political Forum on Sustainable Development
McCormack Grad School professor is a lead discussant at U.N. meeting charting the way for an ambitious post-2015 development agenda.
- UMass Boston Professor Appointed to U.N. Scientific Advisory Board
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed Maria Ivanova to the new United Nations Scientific Advisory Board.
- UMass Boston Earns $3M IGERT Grant to Study Natural and Human Systems in Urbanizing Environments
The University of Massachusetts Boston is launching a new graduate program to train the next generation of environmental problem-solvers, funded by a five-year, $3.1 million grant from the National Science Foundation.
- UMass Boston Papers on Sustainable Development Shared with UN Member Countries
Center for Governance and Sustainability publishes issues briefs series on global environmental and sustainable development.
- Entrepreneurship and Women’s Rights in Ethiopia
A discussion with the creator of the first women's bank in Ethiopia—ENAT Bank—Meaza Ashenafi.
- UN Environmental Report for Youth Launched with Input from UMass Boston Students
McCormack Graduate School students contribute to new United Nations publication on the global environment.
- Award-winning UMass Boston Fellow Publishes History of United Nations Environmental Programme
Center for Governance & Sustainability Associate Stanley Johnson pens historical narrative on leading environmental governance organization.
- Center for Governance and Sustainability Team Publishes Groundbreaking Research
Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa and Research Associate Uttam Shrestha share cutting-edge findings on Nepalese fungus.
- McCormack Grad School Strengthens Ties With Ethiopia
Center for Governance and Sustainability enters long-term partnership with Adaba University
- CGS Fellow Contributes to Book on Sustainability Governance
Transgovernance: Advancing Sustainability Governance is a collection of essays concerning the interplay of politics, science, and media as they relate to sustainability governance.
- EEOS Students Bike Toward a More Sustainable Campus
A new student initiative called BUMP!—Bike for University of Massachusetts Power—hopes to use “energy bikes" to produce human-powered electricity.
- UMass Boston Researcher Recognized on Global Stage
Kamaljit Bawa, distinguished professor of biology at the University of Massachusetts Boston and faculty fellow at the Center for Governance and Sustainability, received two notable honors this week.
- Working at the United Nations: An Insider’s Perspective on UN Careers
On April 12, Harris Gleckman, a retired UN official, will speak to the UMass Boston community about careers at the United Nations.
- Addressing Climate Change: A Global Governance Approach
A climate change negotatior from Bangladesh, Professor Mizan Khan, will speak to students about climate change.
- Watch UMass Boston Professor Maria Ivanova Speak Live at the Planet Under Pressure Conference
The Planet Under Pressure Conference, taking place in London from March 26-29, just announced live streaming services for its plenary sessions.
- GBH Director Anamarija Frankić To Speak at NESEA BE12 Conference
Panel to address whole systems practices for greening urban areas
- Ivanova to Speak at Planet Under Pressure Conference in London
MGS Assistant Professor Maria Ivanova invited to prestigious international conference
- Center for Governance and Sustainability Builds Bridges between the Academic and Policy Worlds
CGS team engages in issues of global governance, climate change, and human security.
- GBH Director Anamarija Frankić to Represent UMass Boston at COP-17
Frankić to be UMass Boston representative at climate talks in Durban, South Africa
- Introducing the Center for Governance and Sustainability’s Issue Brief Series
These short papers will provide analysis of the policy issues facing global environmental governance.
- International Relations Student Pens Article on United Nations Environment Programme Roundtable
Michael Denney writes on Environment and Finance: Tipping Points Discussion at UNEP Roundtable
- Meet Anamarija Frankić: Ecologist and Steward
AAUW alumna Anamarija Frankić works to restore the oyster population of Boston’s Wellfleet Harbor.
- Center for Governance and Sustainability Co-Hosts International Workshop on Environmental Governance
International Environmental Governance: Grounding Policy Reform in Rigorous Analysis
- Roundtable Discussion with Environmental Protection Directors from Yunnan, China
The International Fund for China's Environment hosted a delegation of environmental directors from the Yunnan province in China.
- Ambassador Lumumba Di-Aping Speaks at UMass Boston in Inaugural Center Event
Maria Ivanova and Craig Murphy, co-directors of the new Center for Governance and Sustainability, hosted the center’s inaugural lecture on March 18, 2011.