- UMass Boston Breaks Ground on 1,000-Bed Residence Hall
University of Massachusetts Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley and state and local dignitaries broke ground today on a $120 million, 260,000-square-foot residence hall, achieving a long-held goal of providing UMass Boston students with an on-campus residential option.
- AIM, UMass Boston Establish Scholarship Fund for Management Students
The University of Massachusetts Boston and Associated Industries of Massachusetts, Inc. (AIM) have signed a memorandum of understanding establishing a new scholarship to assist the university in educating the next century of business leaders in the commonwealth.
- Congressman Seth Moulton to UMass Boston Grads: Live Your Life with Courage
Congressman Seth Moulton, a Massachusetts native and Marine veteran who served four tours in Iraq, encouraged UMass Boston graduates to “live your life with courage” at the university’s 48th undergraduate commencement Friday at the TD Garden.
- Faculty Research Celebration Focuses on Research and Mentorship
Attendees at last week’s Faculty Research Celebration learned about topics as diverse as the Massachusetts hip-hop scene, RNA sequencing in mice, and human rights and peacebuilding in Spain.
- Chancellor’s Address to the Community
Please join Chancellor J. Keith Motley for an update on the state of our university and plans to continue our historic transformation.
- Chancellor Motley Discusses Boston’s Challenges, Opportunities on BBJ Panel
Chancellor J. Keith Motley joined John Barros, economic development chief for the City of Boston, and Peter Palandjian, chairman and CEO of Intercontinental Real Estate, for a Boston Business Journal panel on the city's economy.
- Chancellor Motley Welcomes Students on First Day of Spring Semester
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley welcomed students to campus for the start of the Spring 2016 semester on Monday.
- UMass Boston Hosts Roundtable on Wage Equality Best Practices
State Treasurer Deb Goldberg, the Massachusetts Office of Economic Empowerment, and the Advisory Committee on Wage Equality hosted a panel discussion on Tuesday at UMass Boston designed to get input from thought leaders and the business community on best practices to close the wage gap.
- Legendary Coach Mike Jarvis Emphasizes Beacons’ Commitment
Legendary Division 1 Basketball Coach Mike Jarvis visited UMass Boston to share a chapter out of his book, Everybody Needs a Head Coach, about the importance of commitment in sports and in life.
- UMass Boston Hosts Fastest-Growing Inner-City Businesses, Governor Baker
Chancellor J. Keith Motley and Governor Charlie Baker welcomed more than 250 leaders from the private, public, and nonprofit sectors to the University of Massachusetts Boston on Wednesday as part of the 2015 Inner City 100 Conference, convened by the Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC).
- Chancellor Motley Named to “Power 50” List of Influential Bostonians for Fifth Straight Year
Chancellor Motley has been named a “Power 50” player every year the Boston Business Journal has published the list.
- Chancellor Motley Receives “Ground Breaking and Vision Award” at Roxbury Community College Gala
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley was honored with a Ground Breaking and Vision Award from Roxbury Community College on Friday during the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center’s 20th Anniversary Gala.
- Camp Shriver Thanks Our 2015 Heroes
Continuing our Camp Shriver tradition, the Center for Social Development and Education would like to award members of the UMass Boston community who have made a special contribution to Camp Shriver over the past decade.
- In Convocation Speech, Chancellor Motley Lays Out Vision for Next 50 Years
As the University of Massachusetts Boston marks 50 years since the first students started class, Chancellor J. Keith Motley is answering the question of what UMass Boston needs to become in the next 50 years.
- Former MassDOT Secretary and Chancellor Motley to Address UMass Boston Convocation
Chancellor J. Keith Motley will deliver his convocation address on Thursday, September 17, which will highlight UMass Boston’s humble beginnings, 50 years of growth in academic resources and its diverse student body, and the priorities that will shape the university into the future.
- Chancellor and Staff Welcome Students Back to School
Chancellor J. Keith Motley greeted students at the Campus Center with members of the UMass Boston staff.
- New Section of HarborWalk Opens at UMass Boston
A newly constructed section of the HarborWalk, between the JFK Library and Museum and Harbor Point Apartments, has opened to the public.
- Marty Meehan Meets with UMass Boston Students to Launch UMass Presidency
New UMass President Marty Meehan officially launched his presidency Wednesday morning, holding a roundtable discussion with UMass Boston students in the Integrated Sciences Complex.
- Charles Desmond Celebrated for Commitment to Improving Higher Ed System
Chairman of the Board of Higher Education Charles Desmond urged a room full of colleagues to “keep going” with the progress they’ve made to advance higher education in Massachusetts as he moves on from his post following several years of service.
- EPA Chief Gina McCarthy to UMass Boston Grads: Be Comfortable Being Uncomfortable
Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Gina McCarthy '76 told UMass Boston graduates to see opportunities in change and "be comfortable being uncomfortable" at the university's 47th commencement Friday at the TD Garden.
- UMass Boston to Honor Deval Patrick at Golden Gala
The University of Massachusetts Boston will honor former Massachusetts Governor Deval L. Patrick at its Golden Gala on June 4.
- UMass Boston’s 47th Commencement Today
UMass Boston will graduate its largest class ever – 4,144 graduates – and honor a group of distinguished leaders with Chancellor's Medals and honorary degrees this morning at its 47th commencement ceremony in the TD Garden.
- Past, Present UMass Boston Chancellors Talk About Building on Each Other’s Work
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley and four former chancellors reflected on their administrations--the joys, and the challenges—during a roundtable discussion on Tuesday morning.
- UMass Boston Cuts Ribbon on New Integrated Sciences Complex
The University of Massachusetts Boston today officially opened its state-of-the-art $182 million Integrated Sciences Complex (ISC) with a ribbon cutting, celebrating the first new academic building on campus in 40 years.
- Chancellor Motley Participates in Civil Rights Panel at Milton High School
In response to racial injustices over the last year, Milton High School is hosting a distinguished panel of African American leaders on February 11 to discuss civil rights in the United States and the Greater Boston area in “50 Years Later: Why the Struggle for Civil Rights Is Still Relevant.”
- Tea and Coffee with Chancellor Motley: Fall 2014
UMass Boston faculty and staff are invited to join Chancellor J. Keith Motley for tea, coffee, and light refreshments.
- UMass Boston Community Mourns Mayor Thomas Menino
The University of Massachusetts Boston community was saddened to learn of the passing of our beloved mayor and alumnus Thomas Menino (Class of ’88). On their behalf, I extend my condolences to Angela, Susan, Thomas Jr., and the rest of the Menino family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.
- UMass Boston Celebrates Ten Years of IDEAS
UMass Boston celebrated the tenth anniversary of IDEAS UMass Boston, a conference that brings innovators and leading thinkers from the worlds of science, the arts, technology, and business together to showcase the innovation
- Chancellor Motley Honored as Leader in Diversity
The Boston Business Journal has selected Chancellor J. Keith Motley as a recipient of its 2014 Leaders in Diversity Awards.
- UMass Boston Receives Excellence and Innovation Award
The University of Massachusetts Boston was recognized by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, receiving the association’s Excellence and Innovation Award for Regional and Economic Development.
- Chancellor Motley Welcomes Students Back to School
Chancellor J. Keith Motley welcomed the largest freshmen class in UMass Boston history when classes began September 2. The chancellor recorded a video message.
- Chancellor Motley: On 50th Anniversary, Golden Age Is Ahead
As the University of Massachusetts Boston celebrates its 50th anniversary, Chancellor J. Keith Motley says the golden age of the university is yet to come.
- Statement from Chancellor Motley on Wednesday’s Tragic Back Bay Fire
We were saddened to learn of the loss of two firefighters yesterday in the Back Bay. Firefighter Michael R. Kennedy and Lieutenant Edward J. Walsh gave their lives battling a furious fire, so that others could be saved. Their sacrifice will never be forgotten.
- UMass Boston Honors Robert H. Quinn at 28th Annual Community Breakfast
University of Massachusetts Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley paid tribute to the Honorable Robert H. Quinn’s legacy and memory at the university’s 28th annual Community Breakfast today.
- UMass Boston and IBM Advance Technology Accessibility Research
The University of Massachusetts Boston (UMass Boston) and IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced a new research initiative to advance accessible technology solutions for people with disabilities, the growing elderly population, those with low literacy and novice technology users.
- Frozen Fenway Hockey Tickets Now On Sale
UMass Boston men's hockey team got a precursor to their Frozen Fenway game Tuesday afternoon, as members of the Beacons and Salem State University Vikings visited Fenway Park for the official coin flip.
- UMass Boston to Explore Partnership with the University of Limerick
The two universities will explore collaborative research projects and work to set up student exchange programs.
- Chancellor Motley Named One of Boston’s Most Influential
University of Massachusetts Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley has been named to the Boston Business Journal's Power 50 list of the region's most influential businesspeople for the third time.
- Chancellor Assesses Campus Environment During 2013 Convocation
As UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley took stock of the university’s physical, academic, and cultural environment on Thursday, one of the winners of the university’s first Joint and Common Future Award identified UMass Boston as an institution from which others can learn.
- UMass Boston Minute: Chancellor Motley
In this UMass Boston Minute, UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley talks about why the first day of school is one of his favorite days of the year.
- Education, Inclusion Discussed During UMass Boston Campus Conversation
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley kicked off a conversation on access to education with remarks on civic virtue, public education, and democracy.
- James Gustave Speth to Deliver 2013 UMass Boston Commencement Address
Chancellor J. Keith Motley has announced that James Gustave “Gus” Speth, co-founder of the Natural Resources Defense Council and the World Resources Institute, will deliver the principal address at the University of Massachusetts Boston’s 45th commencement ceremonies on Friday, May 31, 2013.
- Service of Reflection and Healing
Please join Chancellor J. Keith Motley and other members of the university for a service to reflect and heal as a community following the Boston Marathon bombings earlier this week.
- UMass Boston Mourns Former Student Krystle Campbell
Former UMass Boston student Krystle Campbell, who studied sociology at UMass Boston from 2005-2007, was among the victims of Monday's bombings at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
- Trustees Approve New School for the Environment at UMass Boston
The University of Massachusetts Boston today took a major step toward becoming a global leader in environmental research, education, and outreach, with the UMass Board of Trustees’s approval of a new School for the Environment.
- UMass Boston Breaks Ground on $113 Million General Academic Building No. 1
University’s Second New Academic Building Expected to Open in 2015
- Chancellor Motley, Rosemarie Day to Speak at UMass Boston’s Fall Convocation
University of Massachusetts Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley will deliver his annual fall convocation address to students, staff, faculty, and guests tomorrow, September 13, the official kick-off to the 2012-2013 academic year.
- UMass Boston and Wipro Launch Fellowship Program on Science Education for School Teachers
Wipro Ltd and the University of Massachusetts Boston today jointly announced the launch of a 12-month fellowship program in the US to train 120 school teachers over three years, with the objective of facilitating excellence in science education among students from disadvantaged areas of Boston.
- Registration Is Now Open for IDEAS Boston 2012 at UMass Boston
Oct. 24 Conference Features Top Innovators, Thinkers Speaking at the University of Massachusetts Boston
- UMass Boston Graduates Urged to Lead at 44th Commencement Ceremony
More than 3,800 students received degrees, making them the largest graduating class in university history.
- UMass Boston to Celebrate 44th Commencement on June 1
UMass Boston’s Campus Center lawn will be transformed into a stage for the largest event of the year, as more than 3,800 students receive their degrees.
- UMass Boston Honors Peter J. Berlandi for ‘Exemplary Leadership’ at Annual Gala
More than 550 people attended the evening benefit, raising more than $500,000 for a new scholarship, making it the most successful gala in school history.
- Chancellor Motley Says Campus Improvements Are ‘A Gift to the Future’
The chancellor says UMass Boston is taking action on its bold plans for campus and academic revitalization by 2025, at his State of the University address.
- UMass Boston Honors Alumnus and Community Leader Peter J. Berlandi
The University of Massachusetts Boston will honor community advocate Peter J. Berlandi on April 30 at its 8th Annual Scholarship Gala, an evening benefit that has raised more than $500,000 for a new scholarship for students from the metropolitan Boston area.
- Chancellor’s State of the University Address
Annual campus-wide update
- UMass Boston Honors ADA Daniel Mulhern at 26th Annual Community Breakfast
University of Massachusetts Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley honored Assistant District Attorney Daniel P. Mulhern with a Robert H. Quinn Award for Outstanding Community Leadership at the university’s 26th annual Community Breakfast.
- UMass Boston and City of Boston Unveil “Mentoring Matters” Billboards in Neighborhoods
UMass Boston wants to encourage residents and local businesses to realize the importance of mentoring youth in their communities.
- UMass Boston Tops Off Integrated Sciences Complex Construction
The Integrated Sciences Complex will be UMass Boston’s first new academic building since the campus was completed in 1974.
- Princeton Review Names UMass Boston One of 150 ‘Best Value Colleges’ for 2012
UMass Boston is the only public university in Massachusetts named to the list.
- Gov. Deval Patrick Calls for Performance Management in State Government at UMass Boston Conference
Continuing the Patrick-Murray Administration’s commitment to increasing government efficiency and accountability, Governor Deval Patrick delivered the keynote address at a conference on performance management in government hosted by the Edward J. Collins Center for Public Management at UMass Boston.
- Tuskegee Airmen Take Center Stage during Cuba Gooding Jr.’s Visit to UMass Boston
Close to 600 people came out to hear Cuba Gooding Jr. talk about his new movie Red Tails, which opened in theaters last month.
- Former Olympian Marion Jones to Speak at UMass Boston December 9
Former Olympic track star Marion Jones will visit the University of Massachusetts Boston Friday, December 9.
- Chancellor Motley Named to BBJ’s Power 50 List of Area Influencers
University of Massachusetts Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley has been named to the Boston Business Journal first Power 50 list of the region's most influential businesspeople in 2011. The members of the 2011 Power 50 will be recognized in a special supplement in the BBJ in October.
- UMass Boston Partners with FUEL to Send More Low-Income Students to College
The University of Massachusetts Boston and Families United in Educational Leadership (FUEL) announced a partnership today that will further promote their mission of college access for all deserving students by providing full scholarship opportunities to qualified FUEL participants.
- Nantucket Field Station Announces New Friends Organization to Promote Research, Public Outreach
The UMass Boston Nantucket Field Station announces the creation of the Friends of Nantucket Field Station.
- UMass Boston Students, Professors Share Stories of Success, Growth
Students and professors show television audiences how UMass Boston is succeeding with increasing enrollments, new facilities, and a growing reputation as a research university with a teaching soul.
- UMass Boston Students, Professors Spotlighted on What’s In Store
University of Massachusetts Boston students and professors will share what makes the school stand out among other urban public universities this week on TV 38 and WBZ-TV.
- Chancellor Motley Defines The University
Chancellor J. Keith Motley updated the community and laid out his vision for this year and beyond at the 2011 Fall Convocation.
- Elizabeth Warren Tells Students to Fight for Causes They Believe In
Elizabeth Warren shared her story of perseverance and opportunity with an audience of more than 700 at UMass Boston's Fall Convocation.
- Chancellor Motley, Elizabeth Warren Speak at UMass Boston’s Fall Convocation
Chancellor Motley focuses on the theme of community; Elizabeth Warren shares her story of perseverance.
- Fall Semester Kicks Off with Welcome Week, Convocation
A look at the activities available to students, staff, and faculty during Welcome Week: Fall 2011.
- Hurricane Irene Storm Preparation
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley advises the UMass Boston community to take preparations ahead of Hurricane Irene.
- UMass Boston Chancellor Elected to Lead Carney Hospital’s Board of Trustees
University of Massachusetts Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley has been elected chairman of Carney Hospital's Board of Trustees.
- Registration Opens for IDEAS Boston
Registration is open for IDEAS Boston, the forum that brings leading-edge thinkers and innovators together to showcase innovation and creativity in the Boston region.
- Graduates Encouraged to Make a Difference at 43rd Commencement Ceremony
The work has just begun for UMass Boston's Class of 2011. That was the message principal speaker Dr. Muriel Howard delivered.
- Chancellor Urges Muddy Shoes at State of the University Address
During his 2011 address, Chancellor J. Keith Motley offered some statistics that seem to indicate the state of the university is better than ever.
- UMass Boston Alum Leading the Efforts to Rebuild Haiti
UMass Boston alumnus Patrick Gaston, now executive in residence to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund, was drawn to reconnect with UMass Boston.
- Edward M. Kennedy Institute Breaks Ground on UMass Boston Campus
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate broke ground on UMass Boston's campus on June 8.
- EMK Institute Holds Groundbreaking on UMass Boston Campus
Construction of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate on the University of Massachusetts Boston campus is under way.
- UMass Boston Honors Housing Advocate with Quinn Award at 25th Annual Community Breakfast
Chancellor J. Keith Motley awarded East Boston resident Mossik Hacobian with the Robert H. Quinn Award for Outstanding Community Leadership.
- Women’s Volleyball Team Receives 2010 Championship Rings
The UMass Boston women's volleyball team capped off their best season in university history at their 2010 championship ring ceremony.
- UMass Boston Honors East Boston Housing Advocate with Quinn Award at 25th Annual Community Breakfast
UMass Boston honored Mossik Hacobian, an outspoken advocate for affordable housing, with the Robert H. Quinn Award for Outstanding Community Leadership.
- UMass Boston’s Teach Next Year Catches President Obama’s Attention
President Obama recognized UMass Boston in a speech during his March 8, 2011 visit to TechBoston Academy in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood.
- UMass Boston Holds First Labor-Neighbor Breakfast
Union representatives, city and state legislators, and labor students and researchers came together for the first UMass Boston Labor-Neighbor Breakfast.
- Chancellor J. Keith Motley Honored with a Good Guys Award
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley was honored at the Tenth Annual Good Guys Awards Luncheon, held by the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus.
- Youth Mentoring Research to Take Center Stage at UMass Boston
UMass Boston MENTOR/ National Mentoring Partnership have partnered up to form an institute that will support the advancement of mentoring efforts.
- UMass Boston and MENTOR Form Alliance Supporting Youth Mentoring Research
Chancellor J. Keith Motley announces the UMass Boston/MENTOR Research Alliance at a youth mentoring summit in Washington, D.C.
- Holiday Greetings from UMass Boston!
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley sends his 2010 holiday greeting card.
- Gratitude for Years of Service
Gratitude was the theme of the afternoon as UMass Boston celebrated its most senior faculty and staff at the fourteenth annual Years of Service luncheon event.
- Chancellor Delivers Honorary Degree to Buddhist Leader, Cultivates International Ties
Chancellor J. Keith Motley and others from UMass Boston traveled to Tokyo to present an honorary degree to Buddhist leader and scholar Daisaku Ikeda.
- Buddhist Leader Receives Honorary Degree from UMass Boston in Japan
At a special ceremony in Tokyo, UMass Boston honored Daisaku Ikeda, founder of Soka University, with an honorary degree.
- Luncheon Celebrates Faculty Success in Research, Innovation, Scholarship, and Creativity
More than 200 faculty, researchers, staff, and students attended a lunch which celebrated faculty success in research, innovation, and creativity.
- Chancellor Appoints University’s Board of Visitors
Chancellor Motley hand-picked local and national leaders from the for-profit, nonprofit, and private and public sectors to serve on the Board of Visitors.
- UMass Boston’s Project ALERTA Honored at White House as Top After-school Program
Project ALERTA was one of only 15 after-school programs chosen from 458 nominations nationwide for an award from the White House.
- Chancellor Appoints UMass Boston Board of Visitors
A new University of Massachusetts Boston Board of Visitors comprised of about 50 alumni, leaders, and friends of the university has been established.
- Chancellor Motley: Research As An Approach To Life
Chancellor J. Keith Motley led the celebration of the start of the 2010-2011 academic year at UMass Boston's Convocation.
- Chancellor Motley Kicks off New Year
Chancellor Motley's convocation address highlighted recent accomplishments, and challenged listeners to expand their vision of UMass Boston’s urban mission.