Tag: Climate Change
- May Boeve Seminar
What does it take to lead real change? How do you find common ground around complex wicked problems like climate change? Meet May Boeve and hear firsthand the answers to these questions and more!
- Former EPA Chief and Alumna Gina McCarthy ’76 Returns to Campus to Talk Climate Change
UMass Boston alumna and former EPA administrator Gina McCarthy ’76 returned to campus Monday for a panel looking at climate change challenges and opportunities.
- School for the Environment Climate Scientists Receive National Award
School for the Environment professors Ellen Douglas and Paul Kirshen and their research team were one of 18 groups nationwide to receive the Federal Highway Administration’s 2017 Environmental Excellence Award, for the Boston Harbor Flood Risk Model.
- Clean Energy is Today’s Moon Shot
A Discussion of JFK's Vision for Innovation and Environmentalism and the Challenges and Opportunities of Climate Change
- Linked Threats: Climate Change and Social Inequality
As part of HUBWeek, the Sustainable Solutions Lab is co-hosting a discussion on strategies to build resilience and spark innovation in an era of climate change that also address social inequalities.
- Extreme Events and Climate Change: What We Know and What We Can Do
Professor of Hydrology Ellen Douglas will discuss observations of our changing climate, what changes may be in Boston’s future, and some plans for how to adapt to these changes.
- Army Service, UMass Boston Education Pivotal for Richie Treanor
The School for the Environment graduate is planning a career helping others cope with natural disasters and the impact of climate change.
- Ida Auken, former Danish Minister for the Environment
Ida Auken is a key leader in the transformation of Denmark toward a just, sustainable economy based on renewable energy
- Sustainable Solutions Lab Co-Convenes International Meeting on Climate Adaptation Financing
In partnership with the British Consulates of Boston and Miami and the Boston Green Ribbon Commission, the Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston co-convened a two-day event to discuss climate adaptation financing.
- Kids-to-Kids Event: Meet the Global Climate Ambassadors
Calling all kids! Come meet four extraordinary young people ages 5 to 11 who, with their parents, are traveling the world on a sailboat recording the effects of climate change on our oceans and our co
- UMass Boston Scientists Predict Heat, Sea Level Rise Increase for City of Boston
More severe storms, higher coastal waters, and extreme heat waves are coming to Boston in the near future.
- Public Administration Students Tackle Climate Change in NASPAA Global Simulation Competition
McCormack Graduate School students put classroom knowledge to use in global competition to provide a solution to climate change.
- UMass Boston’s COP21 Participants Discuss Paris Pact at Sustainable Solutions Lab Event
UMass Boston’s Sustainable Solutions Lab, a cross-disciplinary institute launched this semester to address the complex impacts of climate change, convened an expert panel Wednesday to discuss the lessons learned from the Paris Agreement, a historic international accord reached at December’s COP21 co
- Christiana Figueres to Present at UMass Boston’s Sustainable Solutions Lab Speaker Series
Lifting the Billions: The Intersection of Climate and Development Policy
- Delivering on the Paris Promise: Climate Opportunities and Challenges
Join the Sustainable Solutions Lab for the first lecture in the Climate at a Crossroads series.
- UMass Foundation to Divest from Investments in Coal Companies
The UMass Foundation will continue to evaluate ways to manage the endowment in a manner that promotes both environmental sustainability and socially responsible investing.
- UMass Boston Hosts Academy of International Business Frontier Conference
Last week, October 22-24, the Organizations and Social Change (OSC) Research Group of the College of Management hosted the Academy of International Business (AIB) US-Northeast Frontier Conference at UMass Boston.
- Climate at a Crossroads: How Can Paris Kickstart a Zero Carbon, Resilient Economy?
Featuring Rachel Kyte, Vice President and Special Envoy for Climate Change, World Bank
- Food and Climate Resilience
Hear John Mandyck, author of Food Foolish talk about the link between food and climate resilience.
- Climate Change Resiliency: Forum for Policyholders
UMass Boston's School for the Environment is co-sponsoring this event at the State House.
- UMass Boston Scientist Uses Coral to Reveal Connection Between Climate Trends and El Niño
Coral in Pacific Ocean Reveal Increased Potential for El Niño
- UMass Boston Student Attends UN Climate Summit with Her Faculty Mentor
Natalia Escobar-Pemberthy had the educational opportunity of a lifetime.
- Christiana Figueres Returns to UMass Boston as Commencement Speaker
Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) will be the keynote speaker at the 46th commencement ceremonies at the University of Massachusetts Boston on May 30.
- MBTA Ostriches Question Climate Change, Spark Debate
UMass Boston, UMass Lowell, Hofstra University, and the Museum of Science, Boston have teamed up to get T riders talking about climate change.
- UNFCCC Executive Secretary Christiana Figueres Discusses the Good News About Climate Change
On September 27, Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), delivered a lecture at the Harvard Kennedy School about “The Good News on Climate Change.”
- Hydrologist Douglas Awarded Fulbright to Research Environmental Sustainability in Australia
Water problems will hinder the ability of key countries to produce food and generate energy, posing a risk to global food markets.
- UMass Boston Ocean Experts Urge Priority Action on Coastal Protection
UMass Boston's Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security has released a white paper with recommendations to deal with the effects of global climate change on the world’s oceans and human and national security.
- Stopping Climate Change, A Global Responsibility
UN climate chief Christiana Figueres talks about climate conflict at recent UMass Boston event.
- From Climate Conflict to Climate Action: Capturing the Greatest Opportunities of Our Generation
Executive Secretary of UN Framework Convention on Climate Change presents annual Slomoff Lecture...also streamed live on day of event.
- What Can Australia Tell Us About Boston’s Climate Future? UMass Boston Prof Asks
Professor Allen Gontz spent his sabbatical teaming with the University of Queensland to study how climate change and rising sea levels are affecting coastlines.
- What Can Australia Tell Us About Boston’s Climate Future? UMass Boston Prof Asks
Professor Allen Gontz spent his sabbatical down under, teaming with the University of Queensland to study how climate change and rising sea levels are affecting the world's coastlines.
- Global Challenges in Climate Change Science & Policy
Distinguished Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa is hosting this Biology Department symposium. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- Dialogue-driven Conference Tackles Ocean and Climate Change
UMass Boston hosts the first Global Conference on Oceans, Climate and Security (GC ’12)
- Global Oceans Conference: More Education, Involvement Needed
Attendees at the first Global Conference on Oceans, Climate and Security (GC '12) say more education about climate change is needed, the private sector needs to be involved in the conversation, and lessons could be learned from the military.
- Second Day of Global Oceans Conference Highlights Disaster Concerns
Scientists, military and civilian policymakers, and thought leaders are taking part in this first-of-its kind conference at the UMass Boston.
- UMass Boston Study Finds Himalayas Warming More Rapidly Than the Rest of the Earth
Distinguished Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa and graduate student Uttam Babu Shrestha have coauthored a study that finds the Himalayas is warming more rapidly than the rest of the globe.
- Addressing Climate Change: A Global Governance Approach
A climate change negotatior from Bangladesh, Professor Mizan Khan, will speak to students about climate change.
- Group of Policymakers, Scientists, Thought Leaders Converge to Discuss Effects of Climate Change
GC '12 will focus on three specific themes examining the overall problem of climate change from different perspectives with a unified goal of understanding how to mitigate the effects that we can control and adapt to those that we cannot.
- Cities Make Historic Commitment to Climate Change
Sometimes the most important changes happen close to home.
- Historic Interfaith Declaration on Climate Change Signed at COP17
Faith and secular leaders from many traditions gathered in Durban on December 2, 2011 to sign a historic interfaith declaration on climate change. Those present included Bishop Geoff Davis, who represented Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu
- EEOS Graduate Student Finds Ancient Tree Stumps Signposts of Climate Change
Christopher V. Maio discovers an ancient forest on South Cape Beach, Cape Cod, MA
- UMass Boston Launches the Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security
UMass Boston's new Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security will work toward addressing the challenges of climate change, altered coastal oceans, and security needs.