- 2018 Doctoral Hooding Ceremony
Doctoral candidates: you are encouraged to attend both the doctoral hooding ceremony and graduate commencement ceremony, as you are invited to participate in both!
- 2018 Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
The undergraduate commencement ceremony will be held on Friday, May 25, 2018 at the TD Garden.
- 2018 Graduate Commencement Ceremony
The graduate commencement ceremony will be held at the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion.
- 2018 Senior Day
Graduating seniors: Take time to celebrate your accomplishments! Join the Beacon Cheerleaders and celebrate with food and music and decorate your own cap!
- 2018 Graduate Fair
At the fair, you can pick up your cap and gown, check your holds with the Registrar's Office, speak to Career Services about your résumé, connect with the Alumni Association, and buy your class ring.
- Meet the Undergraduate Students in UMass Boston’s Class of 2017
UMass Boston celebrated the 2,840 students who earned undergraduate degrees at the TD Garden on Friday. Meet some of them here.
- UMass Boston’s 84-Year-Old Graduate Gives TD Garden Crowd Lesson in Perseverance
Joan Donovan is 84 years old and a freshly minted graduate. Six children, ten grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren later, she has earned a bachelor's degree in English from UMass Boston.
- 2017 JFK Award Winner Daniela Bravo-Terkia’s Undergraduate Commencement Address
Daniela Bravo-Terkia, who emigrated from Chile with her family at age 12, received the John F. Kennedy Award for Academic Excellence on Friday at UMass Boston’s 49th Commencement exercises.
- Chancellor Honors Faculty at 2017 Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
Three UMass Boston professors were honored at the undergraduate commencement ceremony for distinguished teaching, scholarship, and service.
- At UMass Boston Undergrad Commencement, JFK Winner Shares Journey Out of Shadows
UMass Boston celebrated its 49th undergraduate commencement at the TD Garden on Friday, May 26. An estimated 2,840 undergraduates received degrees.
- Meet the Graduate Students in UMass Boston’s Class of 2017
UMass Boston Today caught up with some graduating master's and doctoral students ahead of Thursday's graduate commencement at the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion.
- Gerald Chan’s Address at UMass Boston’s Graduate Commencement: Immigration & Public Higher Education
Read the text of Gerald Chan's prepared commencement remarks to the graduate students in the Class of 2017.
- 2017 Graduating Senior Kosar Mohamed Gives Back to Her Local and Global Community
Mohamed hopes to help end the practice of child marriage.
- Two Days of UMass Boston Commencement Celebrations Begin With Grad Ceremony
Gerald Chan, a biomedical researcher and Boston entrepreneur, spoke about immigration and the power of public higher education at the university’s 49th graduate commencement Thursday at Blue Hills Bank Pavilion.
- From the Cover of TIME to UMass Boston’s JFK Winner: Daniela Bravo-Terkia a Voice for Immigrants
This year's JFK Award winner is Daniela Bravo-Terkia, who has dedicated her time at UMass Boston to making sure undocumented students like her don’t feel pressured to hide. The JFK Award is the highest honor a UMass Boston undergraduate can receive.
- Find Your Grad at the 2017 Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
Learn where to find your graduate at the TD Garden
- 2017 Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
The undergraduate commencement ceremony will be held on Friday, May 26, 2017 at the TD Garden.
- 2017 Graduate Commencement Ceremony
The graduate commencement ceremony will be held at the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion.
- Nursing PhD Graduate Helps Fight “Silent Killers” in Kenya
Jacob Kariuki was a 28-year-old nursing tutor at the Tumutumu School of Nursing, in the Central Highlands of Kenya, when he made the connection that would change his life.
- Congressman Seth Moulton to UMass Boston Grads: Live Your Life with Courage
Congressman Seth Moulton, a Massachusetts native and Marine veteran who served four tours in Iraq, encouraged UMass Boston graduates to “live your life with courage” at the university’s 48th undergraduate commencement Friday at the TD Garden.
- Congratulations to Applied Sociology Graduates!
Four students were awarded master's degrees during UMass Boston's 2016 graduate commencement ceremony.
- Meet More Members of the Class of 2016
These are just some of the 2,922 UMass Boston students who earned undergraduate degrees at the TD Garden on May 27.
- JFK Winner Alexander Winnett’s Speech at UMass Boston’s 48th Commencement
Alexander Winnett, who delivered the student address, received two distinguished awards: the John F. Kennedy Award for Academic Excellence, the highest honor given to UMass Boston graduates, and the Massachusetts Department of Education’s 29 Who Shine Award.
- Congressman Seth Moulton’s 2016 UMass Boston Commencement Address
Read the text of Congressman Seth Moulton's prepared commencement remarks to the seniors of the Class of 2016.
- Congressman Seth Moulton to Address UMass Boston Class at Today’s Commencement
Congressman Seth Moulton, a Massachusetts native and Marine veteran who served four tours in Iraq, including two as special assistant to General David Petraeus, will deliver the principal commencement address at UMass Boston’s 48th undergraduate commencement ceremony at the TD Garden this morning.
- Meet the Members of the Class of 2016
Before the commencement exercises began for the UMass Boston students graduating with advanced degrees, UMass Boston Today caught up with some of them
- Two Days of UMass Boston Commencement Celebrations Begin With Grad Ceremony
1,340 graduate, doctoral students honored; undergraduates to be celebrated on Friday
- Chancellor’s Awards Highlight Faculty Excellence at 2016 Commencement Ceremony
Three professors win awards for Distinguished Scholarship, Teaching, and Service
- Find Your Graduate at the TD Garden
Need to find your grad at the TD Garden? Check out this map!
- UMass Boston’s 48th Commencement Ceremonies Begin Today
Over the next two days, UMass Boston will graduate its largest class ever – 4,262 graduates – and honor a group of distinguished leaders with Chancellor’s Medals and honorary degrees at its 48th commencement ceremonies.
- 2016 Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
The undergraduate commencement ceremony will be held on Friday, May 27, 2016 at 9:30 a.m. at the TD Garden. Get the schedule and speaker information here.
- 2016 Graduate Commencement Ceremony
The graduate commencement ceremony will be held on Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 3 p.m. in the Clark Athletic Center. Get the schedule and speaker information here.
- Missing Commencement for Track & Field Championship, National Champion Dons Cap and Gown Early
Senior Hulerie McGuffie will be representing the Beacons one last time in both the 200- and 400-meter dash at the NCAA Division III Outdoor National Championship Meet, so she'll be missing commencement. On Monday, she had a chance to don her cap and gown early.
- Celebrate Commencement with Dinner at the University of Massachusetts Club
The UMass Club on One Beacon Street in Boston is inviting all UMass Boston graduates to join them for a three-course dinner following commencement. Reservations are being taken from 3 to 8 p.m.
- Congressman Seth Moulton to Address UMass Boston Class of 2016
Congressman Seth Moulton, a Massachusetts native and Marine veteran who served four tours in Iraq, including two as special assistant to General David Petraeus, will deliver the keynote address at UMass Boston’s 48th undergraduate commencement on Friday, May 27, at the TD Garden.
- 100 Days To Graduation
Staff from departments and colleges on campus will be on hand to help you prepare for graduation.
- Gender, Leadership and Public Policy 2015 Graduates Are “Agents of Change”
Celebrating the achievements of the 21 women who completed the Gender, Leadership, and Public Policy graduate certificate program.
- EPA Chief Gina McCarthy to UMass Boston Grads: Be Comfortable Being Uncomfortable
Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Gina McCarthy '76 told UMass Boston graduates to see opportunities in change and "be comfortable being uncomfortable" at the university's 47th commencement Friday at the TD Garden.
- McCormack Salutes More than 150 New Graduates
We honor this year’s awardees and McCormack’s entire graduating class of 2015
- 4,144 Graduates, 4,144 Stories: Meet the Members of the Class of 2015
With a record class of 4,144, there were plenty of stories to discover and students to meet at UMass Boston's commencement. Here are some of them.
- Honorary Degree Given to Bernard Osher, OLLI Funder
Philanthropist Bernard Osher was honored for his commitment to lifelong learning.
- Administrator Gina McCarthy’s 2015 UMass Boston Commencement Address
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy's UMass Boston 2015 Commencement Address, As Prepared
- UMass Boston’s 47th Commencement Today
UMass Boston will graduate its largest class ever – 4,144 graduates – and honor a group of distinguished leaders with Chancellor's Medals and honorary degrees this morning at its 47th commencement ceremony in the TD Garden.
- “Bobbi the Beacon” to Graduate Friday
Three-sport athlete Kirsten Morrison is one of a handful of students who plays Bobby the Beacon at campus events.
- Chancellor, Provost to Sport UMass Boston-Designed Ties at Commencement
The Chancellor's Office commissioned Assistant Professor of Costume Design Rafael Jaen to design 50th anniversary ties and scarves for commencement.
- Graduation Dinner
The UMass Club on Franklin Street in Boston is inviting all UMass Boston graduates to join them for a three-course dinner following commencement. Reservations are being taken from 3 to 8 p.m.
- Graduate Fair
Pick up your cap and gown, check your holds with the Registrar’s Office, speak to Career Services about your resume, connect with the Alumni Association, purchase your class ring, and more.
- EPA Chief Gina McCarthy to Speak at 2015 UMass Boston Commencement
Regina “Gina” McCarthy ’76, administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, will deliver the keynote address at the University of Massachusetts Boston’s 47th commencement on Friday, May 29 at the TD Garden.
- Celebrate 100 Days to Graduation
Stay on track for your final destination: graduation. Staff from around campus will help with graduation and resume quick checks, check for holds, and give you the details on the big day.
- Philip Puccia MBA ‘96 Addresses Class of 2014
Distinguished Alumnus of the College of Management, Philip Puccia, MBA Class of 1995, offered remarks at the CM Commencement Ceremony
- Outstanding Students Win Awards at Graduation
The Economics Department once again honored outstanding BA students at graduation.
- UMass Boston Celebrates 50th Anniversary on WUMB and Online
Tune in to WUMB 91.9 FM this summer to hear a slice of UMass Boston history.
- Winning Gerontology Papers Address Caring for Aging Veterans and Intergenerational Programs
This year's winning Gerontology capstone papers address caring for aging veterans and offering intergenerational community programs.
- Longtime Professors Chen, Fay, and Lynde Honored With Chancellor’s Awards at Commencement
Three members of the UMass Boston faculty were recognized for their outstanding teaching, research, and service by Chancellor J. Keith Motley and Provost Winston Langley.
- Commencement Speaker Figueres: Class of 2014 Must Exercise ‘Power of Choice’
UMass Boston commencement speaker Christiana Figueres urged the 3,994 graduates to exercise "their power of choice."
- Grad Student, Guide Dog Lead McCormack Graduates at UMass Boston’s Commencement
There was no mistaking the whistles that greeted William and Marshall O'Donnell as they crossed the stage to receive their diplomas during the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies commencement ceremony.
- UMass Boston’s College of Management Celebrates Spring Convocation
On May 27, the College of Management celebrated the 2014 Convocation Award and Scholarship winners.
- Record 3,994 Students Graduate From UMass Boston on Friday
Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, delivered the keynote address at the University of Massachusetts Boston’s 46th commencement on Friday. Degrees were conferred to 3,994 UMass Boston graduates during the ceremony.
- Keynote Speaker Christiana Figueres’ Address to UMass Boston’s Class of 2014
"There is no greater power than the power of choice," Christiana Figureres told UMass Boston graduates during the principal address of the university's 46th commencement exercises.
- JFK Winner Shaun O’Grady’s Speech at UMass Boston’s 46th Commencement
Read Shaun O'Grady's message to the Class of 2014.
- Grad Student, Guide Dog to Receive Diplomas at UMass Boston’s Commencement May 30
William O’Donnell and his guide dog Marshall will lead the graduating students from the McCormack Graduate School of Public Policy and Global Studies into UMass Boston’s main commencement ceremony on Friday, May 30.
- Climate Change Expert Christiana Figueres to Speak at UMass Boston Commencement
3,863 students will receive their degrees at University of Massachusetts Boston's 46th commencement ceremony, to be held Friday, May 30.
- 2014 Commencement
The main ceremony begins at 9:30 a.m. and will be held outside, rain or shine. About 30 minutes after the main ceremony concludes, the colleges will have individual ceremonies.
- Christiana Figueres Returns to UMass Boston as Commencement Speaker
Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) will be the keynote speaker at the 46th commencement ceremonies at the University of Massachusetts Boston on May 30.
- A Day of Firsts for Many in UMass Boston’s Class of 2013
More than half of this year's graduates were the first in their families to earn a college degree, and some online learners were getting their first good look at the seaside campus.
- Dean Ira Jackson Shares Career Experiences and Leadership Lessons with Graduates
McCormack Grad School dean shares life lessons on imagination, perseverance, and leadership.
- Chancellor Motley to UMass Boston Class of 2013: “I Want Them To Hear You on Nantucket”
Unusual sorrow, unrestrained joy were side by side among the 10,000 in attendance for UMass Boston's spring commencement.
- Bandopadhyaya, Roemer, Watanabe Receive Distinguished Faculty Awards at Commencement
The three UMass Boston professors were honored for extraordinary contributions in teaching, research, and service at the 45th commencement exercises on May 31.
- In Commencement Address, Environmental Leader Calls for New Political Economy
Gus Speth calls for a new economic model prioritizing people, place, and planet, over profits, product, and power.
- 16 McCormack Students Receive Special Awards at Commencement
Master's and doctoral students are recognized for outstanding scholarship, service, leadership, and innovation at graduation ceremony,
- UMass Boston Awards Former Student Krystle Campbell with Posthumous Degree; Scholarship Fund Set Up
Chancellor J. Keith Motley awarded a posthumous bachelor of arts degree to former student Krystle Campbell, a victim of the April 15 bombing attacks at the Boston Marathon.
- Summer Weather Greets 3,600 Graduates at UMass Boston Commencement
Speaker Gus Speth tells new graduates to measure wealth by people, not possessions
- UMass Boston Student Alyssa Trinidad Among “29 Who Shine” in 2013
Alyssa Trinidad, a management major from Winthrop, is the “29 Who Shine” award winner from the University of Massachusetts Boston.
- James Gustave Speth to Deliver 2013 UMass Boston Commencement Address
Chancellor J. Keith Motley has announced that James Gustave “Gus” Speth, co-founder of the Natural Resources Defense Council and the World Resources Institute, will deliver the principal address at the University of Massachusetts Boston’s 45th commencement ceremonies on Friday, May 31, 2013.
- UMass Boston Graduates Urged to Lead at 44th Commencement Ceremony
More than 3,800 students received degrees, making them the largest graduating class in university history.
- JFK Award Winner Tells Fellow Graduates to ‘Be the Change’
Social psychology major Albert Chen is this year's John F. Kennedy Award winner — the highest honor given to a UMass Boston undergraduate student.
- University College Confers First Degrees and Certificates at Commencement
This year's 44th Commencement at UMass Boston marked a milestone for University College (UC) as it conferred honors on its first graduates.
- UMass Boston Commencement 2012: By the Numbers
Get the statistical breakdown on the university's biggest day of the year.
- Four Extraordinary Faculty Earn Chancellor’s Awards
Four UMass Boston faculty members were honored at commencement June 1 with the annual Chancellor’s Awards for Distinguished Teaching, Scholarship, and Service.
- Stories from UMass Boston’s 44th Commencement
Read what UMass Boston graduates had to say on their commencement day.
- Former UN Under-Secretary-General Speaks at UMass Boston’s 44th Commencement
Chancellor J. Keith Motley announced that Ambassador Anwarul Karim Chowdhury, a former president of the United Nations (UN) Security Council, delivered the principal address at the University of Massachusetts Boston’s 44th commencement ceremonies on Friday, June 1.
- JFK Winner Albert Chen’s Speech at UMass Boston’s 44th Commencement
This is the text of JFK Award Winner Albert Chen's speech to the University of Massachusetts Boston's Class of 2012.
- UMass Boston to Celebrate 44th Commencement on June 1
UMass Boston’s Campus Center lawn will be transformed into a stage for the largest event of the year, as more than 3,800 students receive their degrees.
- Graduates Encouraged to Make a Difference at 43rd Commencement Ceremony
The work has just begun for UMass Boston's Class of 2011. That was the message principal speaker Dr. Muriel Howard delivered.
- JFK Winner Alia MacPherson’s Speech at UMass Boston’s 43rd Commencement
This is the text of JFK Award Winner Alia MacPherson's speech to the University of Massachusetts Boston's Class of 2011.
- Dr. Muriel Howard Delivers 2011 UMass Boston Commencement Address
Outgoing UMass President Jack Wilson was awarded a surprise Chancellor's Medal at his last commencement at the University of Massachusetts Boston.
- UMass Boston to Celebrate 43rd Commencement on June 3
Dr. Muriel Howard is the principal speaker for the University of Massachusetts Boston's 43rd Commencement ceremony.
- Dr. Muriel Howard to Deliver 2011 UMass Boston Commencement Address
Dr. Muriel Howard, president of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, will deliver the principal address for Commencement 2011.
- Chancellor Delivers Honorary Degree to Buddhist Leader, Cultivates International Ties
Chancellor J. Keith Motley and others from UMass Boston traveled to Tokyo to present an honorary degree to Buddhist leader and scholar Daisaku Ikeda.
- JFK Award Winner to Join the Battle against HIV/AIDS
Thao Xuan Do, the 34th JFK Award winner, was unable to speak any English when she came to America from Vietnam six years ago.
- Graduates Told to Celebrate Diversity, Make a Difference at 42nd Commencement Ceremony
Graduates hailing from as near as Dorchester and as far as Vietnam were told to embrace their diversity and strive to make a difference in their communities.