Tag: Conflict Resolution
- UMass Boston, Suffolk DA Partner on Restorative Justice Program for Juvenile Offenders
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley joined Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley, McCormack Graduate School Dean David W. Cash, and representatives from five community organizations Friday to sign a memorandum of understanding to create the Juvenile Alternative Resolution Program.
- Accelerated Master’s Program Information Lunch
Thinking about graduate school? Stop by for complimentary lunch and learn more about UMass Boston's accelerated master's degree programs.
- Conflict Resolution Program Offers Workshop on Managing Difficult Conversations
McCormack Graduate School fall workshop addresses conflict around issues of race, ethnicity, and religious identity.
- Disaster Recovery and the Management of Destructive Public Conflict in Japan
Learn about disaster management efforts in Kumamoto and Fukushima and the resulting conflict transformation approaches and post-disaster recovery efforts
- Questions to Help Your Team Work Better Together
What can you do to prepare a new group to work well together or help a group in disarray pivot and get back on track? Here are five questions you can ask to help get everyone rowing in the right direction.
- Managing Conflict In Organizational Mergers
Mergers almost always involve conflict, and it is frequently intense. The approach suggested here won’t make for a conflict-free merger. What it can do is provide a path that will allow you to manage inevitable conflict.
- Sanam Naraghi-Anderlini - Visiting Greeley Scholar on Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding
Leading international advocate, researcher, trainer, and writer on conflict prevention and peacebuilding to talk to International Organizations and the Environment Class
- Accelerated Master’s Program Informational Lunch
Honors College Students: Thinking about Graduate School?
- UMass Boston’s Conflict Resolution Graduate Program Now Accepting Students into Program in Israel
UMass Boston’s John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies is now accepting students for the fall into a conflict resolution master’s program which will be held entirely at an Arab-Jewish village in Israel.
- McCormack Alumnus Parfait Gasana Shares “Joy of Reading” in Rwanda
The Kigali Reading Center will soon be opening its second reading center in Kigali, Rwanda to spread the joy of reading.
- Bloody Sunday Survivor Hopes Arrest Will Lead to Justice for Brother
One week after police made their first arrest in the 1972 Bloody Sunday killings, two members of the Bloody Sunday Trust came to UMass Boston on Tuesday to talk about what they hope are the next steps.
- Local West Africans to Present UMass Boston’s Darren Kew with Lifetime Achievement Award
The Yoruba Elders International Society, a charitable organization made up of West Africans now living in Rhode Island, will present UMass Boston Professor Darren Kew with a lifetime achievement award on Saturday in Providence.
- An Appreciative Inquiry Approach to Resolving Conflict
The Center for Collaborative Leadership understands that executives lead busy lives. That is why we developed an Online Training Series. This academic year, we will focus on Appreciative Inquiry.
- Recruitment Coffee Break: McCormack Graduate School
Free coffee and tea while you learn more about the master’s degree program opportunities at the McCormack Graduate School.
- Precarity, Protection, and the Politics of African Urbanization
Part of the Conflict Resolution Colloquium Series. This event was made possible in part by the John Templeton Foundation
- Conflict Transformation across Borders: A Platform for Action
In three short weeks, 14 students from 9 countries enjoyed many takeaways from this inaugural summer program in Ecuador.
- New Book by UMass Boston Reconciliation Expert: Two-state Solution Not Viable in Israel, Palestine
Peacemaker Padraig O'Malley tells the story of two narratives in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Elder & Adult Family Mediation
Part of the Conflict Resolution Colloquium Series this talk will focus on the types of cases that come to adult family mediation & what skills/knowledge practitioners in this field need.
- 2016 Student Orientation: Conflict Resolution, Int’l Relations and Global Governance/Human Security
For incoming students of the International Relations Master’s Program, the Graduate Programs in Conflict Resolution, and the Global Governance and Human Security PhD Program
- McCormack Salutes More than 150 New Graduates
We honor this year’s awardees and McCormack’s entire graduating class of 2015
- Conflict Resolution Convocation Award Recipient
Maha Thaher, a Fulbright scholar from Palestine, wins the 2015 Convocation award.
- Peace in Northern Ireland: Dream or Reality?
Professor Breen-Smyth will present a contemporary assessment of the status of the settlement in Northern Ireland in the context of stalemate in the assembly and continuing spoiler violence
- The 2015 Slomoff Symposium: Restorative Justice In Our Communities Event
Join us for this McCormack Grad School symposium on restorative justice featuring leading Boston activist and author, Michael Patrick MacDonald.
- Growing Fulbright Community at the McCormack Graduate School
Six Fulbright students join the Department of Conflict Resolution, Human Security and Global Governance.
- Peacebuilding Educator Joins McCormack’s Conflict Resolution Program
Karen Ross focuses on conflict resolution and peacebuilding in Israel and Palestine.
- Ecuador Summer Abroad Open House
The College of Advancing and Professional Studies invites you to learn about the new Conflict Transformation Across Borders program, which will take place in Ecuador this June.
- New Study Documents Destructive Conflict in Local Communities, Calls for Training and Resources
New conflict resolution needs assessment finds destructive public conflict is causing dysfunction and harm in local governments and communities.
- Open House: Conflict Transformation Across Borders (Summer Study Abroad)
Come by for program information and refreshments!
- Guest lecture: Gender, Security, and Development in the Maoist Conflict in India
Join the Department of Conflict Resolution, Human Security and Global Governance for a special lecture by Swati Parashar
- UMass Boston Professor Joins International Election Observation Delegation to Nigeria
Darren Kew will observe the presidential elections to enhance voter confidence and to show solidarity with the people of Nigeria.
- UMass Boston Rated in Nation’s Top 30 Innovative Public Service Schools
Student to faculty-ratios, innovative academic programs, and quality internships and career services helped McCormack Grad School propel UMass Boston to the top 30 on the list.
- MA Office of Public Collaboration Joins the McCormack Grad School
Dean Ira A. Jackson welcomes MOPC as its newest center at the McCormack Graduate School.
- UMass Boston Alumna: Emerging Leader, Lifelong Learner, Volunteer Extraordinaire
Meet Nulise François and discover how she has put her UMass Boston degrees and graduate certificates to good work.
- Caring: Prevailing Theme in Conflict Resolution and Global Governance Conference
UMass Boston’s McCormack Graduate School hosts two-day graduate student conference.
- Honors College & McCormack Graduate School Accelerated BA/Master’s Informational Meeting
Attend this event to learn more about an exciting opportunity for accelerated master's programs.
- Deputy Asst. Secretary of State Speaks on His Past and World’s Future at UMass Boston
Jerry White, Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations, delivers keynote address at conflict resolution conference.
- International Workshop On Preventing Electoral Violence
A specialized training course for mediators from faith based organizations and peace practitioners
- “Organizational Ombuds: An Improvised Journey” Adam Kleinberger, Assoc Ombudsman, Boston University
Conflict Resolution Fall 14 Colloquium Series
- McCormack PhD Student Works toward Peace in Nigeria
Student studying global governance and human security works to diffuse conflicts among Christians and Muslims.
- Conflict Resolution Professor Earns Best Political Science Paper Award
Assistant Professor Jeff Pugh has received the Section of Migration and Citizenship's Best Conference Paper Award.
- Retired Nigerian General Advises CPDD on Conflicts in His Homeland
Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau, PhD, a retired general who as chief of army staff (2008-10) led the Nigerian army, works with faculty and graduate students at McCormack Graduate School’s Center for Peace, Democracy, and Development (CPDD) in his role as a visiting senior fellow.
- Conflict Resolution Master’s Project Presentations
To close the spring semester, eight graduate students presented papers encompassing conflict resolution tools, evaluation techniques, and case studies.
- Conflict Resolution Graduate Program Issues Book Award to Anne Lemay Hurley
“Anne takes common sense to a high art. Perhaps the greatest strength of her thinking is her clarity. Every written sentence makes its point and every spoken sentence makes meaning, whether it is consciously exploring or finally concluding."
- UMass Boston’s Nigeria Expert Weighs in on Boko Haram Kidnappings
Darren Kew, executive director of UMass Boston's Center for Peace, Democracy, and Development, is emerging as a leading national expert on the Boko Haram kidnappings in Nigeria.
- International Relations Masters Students’ Capstone Presentations
Please join the masters students in International Relation for their capstone presentations
- TEDx Conference Features McCormack Professor on Managing Religious Conflicts
Professor Darren Kew spoke on bridging global religious divides; Jacob Kariuki, a PhD student in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, talked about making universities more prestigious.
- Workshop on Careers in Conflict Resolution
Professor David Matz will discuss jobs, CVs, career paths and strategies
- 4 Day Skill Building Workshop: Facilitation of Inter-Ethnic/Sectarian Dialogues in Conflict Zones
This workshop focuses on building skill sets in facilitation and dialogue processes which can be used effectively in violence-prone societies.
- Political Changes and the Crisis in the Ukraine: What is at Stake?
What are the implications of the Ukrainian events for human security, for the role of state, and international mechanisms to preserve peace?
- TEDx: Lighting the Way for the Future
Join us for UMass Boston's multidisciplinary thought leadership event to provoke conversations that matter.
- Alum Celebrates 100th Birthday with Symposium at UMass Boston McCormack Grad School
Benjamin Slomoff celebrates with us at two-day symposium on Bridging Global Religious Divides
- UMass Boston Event Tackles Global Religious Conflict
McCormack Grad School's two-day Slomoff Symposium on "Bridging Global Religious Divides" brought together academics and practitioners.
- Lecture: The Arab Spring and Its Aftermath with Guest Speaker Shadi Hamid
Shadi Hamid is a fellow with the Project on U.S. Relations with the Islamic World in the Saban Center for Middle East Policy, and the author of Temptations of Power: Islamists and Illiberal Democracy.
- Kew Delivers Keynote at 50th Anniversary Celebration of Chinua Achebe’s Novel, Arrow of God
Darren Kew, a professor of conflict resolution, will speak in Nigeria on building democracy.
- Nigerian Energy Policy Advisor Speaks at McCormack Grad School Alumni Seminar
Ngozi Ifeoma “Ify” Malo ‘05 shares examples of how she uses lessons from her graduate school training in dispute resolution.
- Skill Building Workshop: Facilitation of Inter-Ethnic/Sectarian Workshops in Conflict Zones
The workshop focuses on building skill sets in facilitation and dialogue processes which can be used efficiently in violence-prone societies.
- International Fulbright Students Choose McCormack School for Graduate Study
Three students praise the McCormack Graduate School for its supportive faculty, diverse student body, skills-building opportunities, and real-world classroom topics.
- The 2014 Slomoff Symposium: Bridging Global Religious Divides
Participants will be invited to examine the field, analyze current practices, define new methods, and develop an agenda for practice and research in interreligious conflict resolution.
- Colloquium: Sports Conflict Institute with Guest Speaker Josh Gordon
Colloquium: Sports Conflict Institute with Guest Speaker Josh Gordon
- McCormack Graduate School RAP Session: Research, Advocacy, and Policy event
Join McCormack Grad School community for a display of student, staff, and faculty research, advocacy, and policy projects.
- UMass Boston Celebrates Research, Innovation, Scholarship, and Creativity at Recent Luncheon
Vice Provost for Research and Dean of Graduate Studies hosts 270 at Campus Center event.
- Student/Alumni Panel Praises Supportive Environment at McCormack Graduate School
At the recent Prospective Student Visit Day, students and alumni praised the faculty and cohort support in their graduate programs.
- McCormack Graduate School 2013 Annual Alumni Networking Celebration
Tis the season to celebrate with you
- Indigenous Jurisdiction, Customary Laws, & Alternative Conflict Resolution
Discussion with international experts on indigenous peoples & the law
- McCormack Graduate School Community Gathering
Back from Kaduna
- Professor Maria Ivanova Named to New United Nations Board
The co-director of the Center for Governance and Sustainability is one of 26 members of the new Scientific Advisory Board of the UN Secretary-General
- UMass Boston Professor Appointed to U.N. Scientific Advisory Board
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed Maria Ivanova to the new United Nations Scientific Advisory Board.
- 20 Years of Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process: What Have We Learned?
Join us for a discussion led by faculty experts in political science, international relations, and coflict resolution
- The Role of Technology in the Practice and Teaching of Conflict Resolution
Conflict Resolution Colloquium with Guest Speaker Noam Ebner, Werner Institute, Creighton University
- Colloquium: Conflict Transformation and Restorative Justice
Conflict Resolution Colloquium with Guest Speakers Catherine Ali from The University of West Indies, St. Augustine and Ruth J. Parsons from the University of Denver
- McCormack Graduate School Honors Three Top Master’s Students at Recent Convocation
Three UMass Boston graduate policy students earn book awards.
- McCormack Grad School Nominates Iraqi Peacemaker for UMass Boston Chancellor’s Medal
Aari Najmuldeen Mohammed Jabari Honored for Peacemaking Efforts in Iraq
- UMass Boston Faculty, Students, and Alumni Form Veterans’ Court Consortium
McCormack team joins local advocates to seek state funds to study alternative justice program for veterans.
- South African Activist Praises Response to Boston Marathon Bombings
Albie Sachs, an anti-apartheid activist, car bombing survivor, and one of the authors of South Africa’s constitution, praised the response of UMass Boston students following the Boston Marathon bombings.
- UMass Boston’s Policy School Showcases Community Partnerships
At recent UMass Boston event, McCormack Grad School showcases their community engagement activities.
- From Climate Conflict to Climate Action: Capturing the Greatest Opportunities of Our Generation
Executive Secretary of UN Framework Convention on Climate Change presents annual Slomoff Lecture...also streamed live on day of event.
- Conflict Resolution Student Appointed to Key Public Affairs Job in Puerto Rico
Ricardo Ramos puts his conflict resolution graduate studies to work in San Juan's mayor's office.
- Conflict Resolution Student Attends Fulbright Conference on Afghan Social Entrepreneurship
Fulbright student Nasir Gord attended recent conference at Miami University.
- Conflict Resolution Master’s Projects Student Presentations
Students in the Conflict Resolution MA Program present their final projects at our final Spring 2013 Colloquium.
- Ultimate Peace: Using the Sport of Ultimate Frisbee to Unite Communities Divided by Conflict
David Barkan, PhD, founder and CEO of Ultimate Peace, will speak at our second colloquium on his 30-year career dedicated to social change.
- Issues in Family Mediation: a talk by Jane Honoroff
Jane Honoroff, specialist in family mediation, opens the 2013 Conflict Resolution Colloquium Series
- Matz Shares Expertise on Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Resolution at Local Synagogue
MGS professor engages local Jewish community on peace process in Israel.
- Research Team Looks at Group Acknowledgement of Past Violence as Key to Breaking Cycles of Violence
MGS Assistant Professor Rezarta Bilali receives two grants to develop and test strategies to understand mass violence
- MGS Nigerian Expert Shares Insights with California High School Students Via Skype
Associate Professor Darren Kew shares expertise on conflict resolution and promoting democracy in Africa.
- Belle Abaya—Mother, Teacher, Hero (1952-2012)
Philippine national hero and Conflict Resolution Program alumna dies of cancer.
- MGS Recruitment Luncheon at Massachusetts State House
Learn more about our graduate programs in policy and global studies at this free luncheon recruitment event.
- Graduate Students with “Soft Hearts and Hard Heads” Converge for Conflict Studies Conference
This conference hosted by UMass Boston's Conflict Resolution Graduate Program brought together graduate students from a variety of fields to present their work and share ideas.
- Africa’s New Revolution: A Conversation with Gebreselaisse Yosief Tesfamichael
Listen to the former finance minister of Eritrea and former governor of the World Bank talk about the turmoil in Africa
- 2012 Mentoring Staff Award for Graduate Studies Goes to Roni Lipton
Because of her tireless devotion and the excellent mentoring and student support she provides, Lipton received the 2012 UMass Boston Mentoring Staff Award for Graduate Studies.
- MOPC Accepting Community Mediation Center Grant Applications until August 31st
The MA Office of Public Collaboration is accepting grant applications until August 31, 2012 to qualify and provide state operational funding to community mediation centers.
- Kew Testifies at D.C. Hearing: ‘U.S. Policy Toward Nigeria: West Africa’s Troubled Titan’
Darren Kew’s testimony titled “The Crisis in Christian-Muslim Relations in Nigeria “ was delivered on July 10 before the U.S. House Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, and Human Rights in Washington, D.C.
- Conflict Resolution Student Jillian Furman Earns Student Leadership Award
Master's degree candidate earns Beacon Leadership Award
- George Mitchell’s “Unshakable Belief in Peace” Evident at Recent Conflict Resolution Lecture
Mitchell delivers candid reflections on turmoil in the Middle East and its effect on U.S. policy.
- George J. Mitchell to Speak on Middle East Policy at UMass Boston
Former Senator George J. Mitchell will speak at UMass Boston on the “Turmoil in the Middle East and its Effect on U.S. Policy” on Tuesday, April 24, at 10 a.m. as part of the Sylvia and Benjamin Slomoff Lecture in Conflict Resolution.
- Rezarta Bilali Published in Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology
Assistant Professor Bilali pens article on "Attributions of Responsibility and Perceived Harm in the Aftermath of Mass Violence."
- Board of Higher Education Approves PhD in Global Governance and Human Security
The newly approved program has begun accepting applications and expects to welcome its first cohort of students in September 2012.
- The Civilian Response Corps: Using conflict prevention expertise to inform decision makers ...
Conflict Resolution Colloquium IV with Maria J. Stephan, PhD, interagency planner with the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations
- McCormack Graduate School Recruitment Luncheon at State House
Learn about our graduate programs in conflict resolution, gerontology, public affairs, public policy and others.
- PhD Student Scholarly Dialogue: Conflict for Change in Nursing Practice
Our speaker this week is Joe Ann Fergus, PhD candidate and a graduate of UMass Boston's conflict resolution program.
- Fall 2011 Conflict Resolution Colloquia I
Translating Theory to Practice: A discussion with Joe-Ann Fergus, RN, BSN, MA, PhDc