- Healey Library Waterproofing/Roof Project Phase 2 to Begin
Phase 2 of the Healey Library waterproofing/roof project will begin on Monday, May 11.
- Sign Up for the Spring 2015 Campus Construction Lunch and Learn
The university community is invited to come to the Campus Center Ballroom on April 29 and have a slice of pizza and learn about construction progress and upcoming plans.
- Construction Master Plan Lunch and Learn
The university community is invited to come have a slice of pizza and learn about construction progress and upcoming plans.
- Scientists Move to Integrated Sciences Complex, Research Begins
New facilities in the Integrated Sciences Complex come to life as professors move into their labs
- Two-Way Traffic Begins Next Week
The one-way campus traffic pattern is expected to transition to two-way traffic on Friday afternoon, November 28.
- Construction Milestones, Challenges this Fall
Although there will be much progress to celebrate in the coming months, the fall semester will also bring significant challenges as the work to enhance the UMass Boston campus with new facilities that will make it an even better place to learn, teach, and work continues.
- South Parking Lot to Close
The South Parking Lot will be closed permanently at 11 p.m. on Friday, August 29 to serve as a staging area for the next phase of construction on the Utility Corridor and Roadway Relocation (UCRR) project.
- Pile Driving Scheduled for Construction of Connector between Campus Center, GAB No. 1
Next week crews will install six steel piles to support the foundation of a new ground-level connector between the Campus Center and the future General Academic Building No. 1.
- HarborWalk Work to Start Monday
The construction phase of the HarborWalk Improvements and Shoreline Stabilization project is expected to begin on Monday, July 28. During construction, which is expected to last several months, the HarborWalk will be rerouted via a detour through campus.
- Two-way Traffic Ahead
University Drive South, which runs alongside Savin Hill Cove, will close to traffic in early summer, for more than a year, for utility and roadway construction. The South Lot and Lot A will close in early summer.
- One Last Chance to Sign the Beam
You can sign the beam starting at 11 a.m. on Friday. The final beam will be raised on Friday at 2 p.m.
- GAB No. 1 Topping Off Ceremony Set for Wednesday
The final beam will be raised on Wednesday or Friday, depending on the weather.
- Changes Ahead for Campus Center Garage and Loading Dock Access Road
The access roadway to the Campus Center garage and the loading dock will be reduced to one lane on Tuesday and Wednesday, April 22 and 23, as National Grid crews relocate a gas line in preparation for utility work in this area.
- Utility Work Impacts Campus Roadways
Pedestrians and drivers may experience temporary route changes and delays related to two different utility work activities on the north side of the campus, starting April 11.
- Be a Part of New General Academic Building: Sign Beam in Person or Online
Those who can’t make the beam signing for General Academic Building No. 1 on April 30 can do so online and on their phones.
- ISC Connection Begins
Construction of the connection to the Integrated Sciences Complex's pedestrian bridge, or catwalk, from the plaza and Quinn Administration Building, starts Thursday morning.
- General Academic Building No.1 “Topping Off”
Make your mark at UMass Boston and sign the beam!
- Welcome Back: Construction Update and Travel Tips for the Spring Semester
The winter session has been a busy one for construction on campus; students, faculty, staff, and visitors are urged to allow extra time when traveling to campus, particularly during the first few weeks of the spring semester.
- Lot D Closed for One Week Only
Parking Lot D will be closed starting Monday, January 20. It will reopen on the first day of the semester, Monday, January 27.
- Check out Building Connections
In the winter issue of Building Connections, learn more about the major construction projects that are underway on campus, including utility and roadway work, and the steel rising on our new academic building.
- Steel Rising on General Academic Building No. 1
A crane arrived on the UMass Boston campus this week to start erecting steel columns and beams on the General Academic Building No. 1 site.
- HarborWalk Detour for One Day Only on Nov. 29
Pedestrians, bikers, and joggers using the HarborWalk on Friday, Nov. 29, will be detoured for a few hundred feet onto University Drive near the Massachusetts State Archives, while construction crews work on utility drainage in that area.
- Sign Up for the Fall 2013 Campus Construction Lunch and Learn
Join the Construction Impact and Awareness Advisory Committee (CIAA) for a free pizza lunch and learn the latest on campus construction projects on Tuesday, December 3.
- Lunch and Learn: Fall 2013 Campus Construction Update
Get a campus construction update from master plan and facilities staff.
- Lot A Entrance Shifts
The entrance to Parking Lot A will shift approximately 75 feet toward University Drive starting this weekend.
- Changes Expected Next Week on University Drive South, in Lot C, and Near South Lot
Starting Sept. 23, Lot C will lose up to 60 spaces as part of the Utility Corridor and Roadway Relocation (UCRR) project. The South Lot will also lose a small section of spaces.
- Pile Driving Ends as Roadwork, Utility Projects Begin
Flurry of activity greets students returning to UMass Boston for fall semester
- MBTA Bus Stop Relocated, Short-term Lot to Close
The MBTA bus stop will be relocated to the Campus Center circle on August 26. The Short-term Parking Lot will be closed on September 3.
- Follow the Progress of GAB No. 1 With New Construction Webcam
Get a live view of UMass Boston's newest state-of-the-art academic building
- Road Detour Expected to Take Effect Next Week
Campus traffic will be detoured around a section of University Drive North beginning as early as Monday, July 29.
- Summer Construction Projects Underway
Read the latest issue of Building Connections to see what's new and what construction is ahead for our campus.
- Campus Center Garage Closes for Summer on June 3
The Campus Center garage will close for the summer on June 3 in order for General Academic Building No. 1 crews to build a retaining wall between the garage and the site.
- GAB. No. 1 Pile Driving to Resume
The first of nearly 260 steel piles is scheduled to be driven into the ground on Thursday to support the foundation of the future General Academic Building No. 1.
- Bayside Parking to Close for Summer and Other Roadway/Parking News
The UMass Boston Bayside Parking Lot will close for summer sessions on May 25. Also, the Saturday detours planned for the rest of the month have been cancelled.
- “Dishing out the Dirt” on UMass Boston Construction
Join Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance Ellen O’Connor and members of the Construction Impact Awareness and Advisory Committee as they “dish out the dirt” on upcoming construction.
- Get an Update on UMass Boston Campus Construction
The UMass Boston community is invited to enjoy ice cream and hear the latest on upcoming campus construction projects on May 14, from 1:30 to 3 p.m. in the Campus Center Ballroom.
- University Drive Detour Begins Thursday, April 25
University Drive North between the General Academic Building No. 1 construction site and the Massachusetts State Archives will be closed from April 25 through April 27 and on Saturdays May 4 through June 1.
- Test Pile Driving Begins for New Building
Ten test piles will be driven into the ground at the General Academic Building No. 1 (GAB No. 1) construction site starting April 3.
- Integrated Sciences Complex Project Commended for Workplace Diversity
The work underway on the University of Massachusetts Boston’s Integrated Sciences Complex has been cited in a new manual aimed at ensuring construction owners, managers, contractors, and building trade unions have a diverse workforce.
- Ground Broken, Construction Underway on General Academic Building No. 1
One week after UMass Boston hosted a groundbreaking for General Academic Building No. 1 (GAB No. 1), construction is well underway.
- GAB No.1 Construction Site at Former North Lot
GAB No.1 construction site replaces the former North Lot, and UMass Boston Bayside opens as a full service lot.
- North Lot Closing for General Academic Building No. 1 Construction
The North Parking Lot, adjacent to the Campus Center, will close permanently prior to the beginning of spring semester on January 28, 2013, to prepare for construction of General Academic Building No. 1.
- Quinn Roadway Waterproofing Project is Nearly Complete
The utility plant roof waterproofing near the Healey Library and along the Quinn Roadway is wrapping up, with some final paving and landscaping in progress.
- Steel Skeleton Arises at Edward M. Kennedy Site
The steel skeleton of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate continues to rise above parking lot A. Meanwhile, crews have started installing granite, limestone, and glass on the exterior wall of the Integrated Sciences Complex.
- New Transportation Services Coming and Construction Happenings
As UMass Boston students settle in for the start of the fall semester, they will notice some of the exciting changes going on around campus.
- Drilling Work Begins Tomorrow
In preparation for upcoming work on the campus roadway, 15 soil borings and 8 test pits will be performed in various campus locations beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, continuing through the rest of the month.
- Ground Improvement Work and Mock-up Underway at ISC Site
Giant Lego-like white blocks will begin to be installed next week underground near the pedestrian bridge on the Integrated Sciences Complex (ISC) site’s northeast corner.
- Soil Testing to Close a Section of HarborWalk
The HarborWalk between the JFK Library and Museum and the Harbor Point Apartments will be closed from 6 to 11 a.m. on Friday, April 27 for soil testing.
- Utility Work Resumes at Integrated Sciences Complex
Utility work will resume outside the Integrated Sciences Complex (ISC) construction site on Monday, April 23, near the Service and Supply parking lot and the loading dock areas.
- Sign Up for a Campus Construction Lunch and Learn
Join the Construction Impact and Awareness Advisory Committee for a free pizza lunch and learn about the latest on campus construction projects.
- UMass Boston Tops Off Integrated Sciences Complex Construction
The Integrated Sciences Complex will be UMass Boston’s first new academic building since the campus was completed in 1974.
- UMass Boston Tops Off Integrated Sciences Complex Construction
UMass Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley marked a milestone in the construction phase of the Integrated Sciences Complex with a topping off ceremony.
- UMass Boston Community Invited to Sign ISC Steel Beam Before Topping Off Ceremony
Come out and sign the beam between 8 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. on Thursday, February 16.
- Preparing to Place ISC Floor Slabs
Crews are wrapping the Integrated Sciences Complex frame to prepare for a concrete placement in the north wing scheduled for the week of February 13, 2012.
- ISC Steel Arising
A second crane will arrive later this week to begin erecting steel on the east wing of the Integrated Sciences Complex.
- Steel for the Holidays
Structural steel for the Integrated Sciences Complex will arrive on December 21, 2011 from Novel Iron Works in Greenland, New Hampshire.
- ISC Utility and Tunnel Installation Continue
Utility and tunnel work are underway at the Integrated Sciences Complex. Bricks are being installed on the façade of the university's new switchgear building.
- Seeing the Light: Wheatley Hall Gets Solar Panels
On October 12, 350 photovoltaic panels installed on the Wheatley roof were wired into UMass Boston’s power grid.
- Road, Parking Changes
The Quinn roadway will be reduced to one lane for about two weeks while crews dig a trench for utilities. There will be more than 100 fewer parking spaces in Lot A beginning October 17, 2011.
- UMass Boston Breaks Ground on $155 Million Integrated Sciences Complex
Construction is under way on UMass Boston's first new academic building since 1974, the Integrated Sciences Complex (ISC), a home for research and innovation.
- Chancellor Urges Muddy Shoes at State of the University Address
During his 2011 address, Chancellor J. Keith Motley offered some statistics that seem to indicate the state of the university is better than ever.
- UMass Boston to Host Forum on Project Labor Agreement
UMass Boston will host a community forum to discuss the implementation of the project labor agreement (PLA) for the construction of campus facilities.
- UMass Boston Report Documents Continued Obstacles for Women in Building Trades
Women make up only 2.7 percent of the construction trades workforce in the U.S., according to a report issued by the Labor Resource Center and Center for Women in Politics & Public Policy.