Tag: Environment, Earth, And Ocean Sciences
- UMass Boston Scientists Honored by EPA New England for Contributions to Environmental Stewardship
Urban-Rich and Shiaris received the 2017 Environmental Merit Award for their work with the Outfall Monitoring Science Advisory Panel (OMSAP).
- The Smog of the Sea
Join UMass Boston's Urban Harbors Institute for a film screening, panel presentation, and Q&A about trash in the ocean.
- Dissertation Defense by Natalia Escobar- Pemberthy PhD in Global Governance and Human Security
Natalia Escobar-Pemberthy defends her dissertation on Friday May 19th
- UMass Boston Scientist Receives Harvard University Bullard Fellowship to Study Threatened Hemlocks
Crystal Schaaf is a noted expert on remote sensing.
- Sustainable Solutions Lab Co-Convenes International Meeting on Climate Adaptation Financing
In partnership with the British Consulates of Boston and Miami and the Boston Green Ribbon Commission, the Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston co-convened a two-day event to discuss climate adaptation financing.
- School for the Environment Professor Elected ASLO Fellow
UMass Boston Professor Bob Chen has been elected as a fellow in the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO).
- UMass Boston Scientist Studies “Rockstars of Ocean Resilience”
A new paper reveals changes to kelp forests around the world.
- UMass Boston Students Visit Brazil, Research Coastal Environment
UMass Boston environmental science students have traveled over 4,000 miles to better understand global climate history.
- UMass Boston Scientists Predict Heat, Sea Level Rise Increase for City of Boston
More severe storms, higher coastal waters, and extreme heat waves are coming to Boston in the near future.
- JPods/Baystate Sunway Information & Interview Session
Learn about a brand new environmentally friendly concept in transit!
- Planning in the Face of Conflict: How Planners Improvise
The Urban Planning and Community Development Spring Planning Lecture
- Mayor Walsh Appoints Carl Spector ‘97 Commissioner of the Environment Department
Mayor Martin J. Walsh recently announced that UMass Boston alum Carl Spector '97 has been appointed Commissioner of the Environment Department for the City of Boston.
- Ninth Annual Research Celebration Highlights Faculty Achievements
On December 1, UMass Boston cheered on its star researchers at Annual Research Celebration.
- Stanley Johnson Awarded Royal Society Medal for Protection of Nature
Kudos to McCormack fellow who earns Royal Society for the Protection of Birds Medal
- UMass Boston Professor Corrects Decades-Old Theory on Underwater Visibility
According to ZhongPing Lee, the way that Secchi disk depth is interpreted is simple, easy, and also wrong.
- The Simeto River Agreement: A Landmark Achievement for Environmental Justice in Sicily
Laura Saija and Antonio Raciti will give the first talk sponsored by the UMass Boston Urban Planning and Community Development Program
- UMass Boston’s School for the Environment Partners with PRI’s Living on Earth
As partners, SFE and LoE will produce a weekly show and start a new Education Corps
- Food and Climate Resilience
Hear John Mandyck, author of Food Foolish talk about the link between food and climate resilience.
- Director of New Urban Planning and Community Development Program Brings Expertise from NOLA, Memphis
Ken Reardon is the director of a new graduate program in the School for the Environment.
- Large Pelagics Research Center Joins UMass Boston
Pioneering fisheries ecologist Molly Lutcavage joins School for the Environment
- UMass Boston Scientist Studies Bacteria that Rehabilitate the Cape Cod Coast
UMass Boston scientist imagines a future in which we will be able to prescribe “a probiotic for the environment” to help restore coastal waters.
- Ivanova Participates in UN High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development
UN Board promotes science, technology, and innovation to support post-2015 sustainable development goals
- New Class Dives Deep for Scientific Research
Summer course offers students the opportunity to learn to scuba dive for research
- Administrator Gina McCarthy’s 2015 UMass Boston Commencement Address
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy's UMass Boston 2015 Commencement Address, As Prepared
- Ramona Peters (Mashpee Wampanoag) Speaks at UMass Boston
Ramona Peters, the Tribal Preservation Officer & NAGPRA director at Mashpee, spoke about her work
- 3rd Annual Environmental Research Colloquium
Come hear about environmental research from our undergraduate and graduate students. Talks will take place in Room 1400; you can see posters in the atrium on the first floor.
- Environmental Leadership Across Scales and Geographies: A Perspective from the United Nations
Join us Earth Day lecture by Elliott Harris, assistant secretary-general and director of the New York Office of the UN Environment Programme.
- Green Careers Forum 2015
Meet with employers about green jobs and internships in the Boston area.
- Scientists Move to Integrated Sciences Complex, Research Begins
New facilities in the Integrated Sciences Complex come to life as professors move into their labs
- Sanofi Genzyme Fellows Prepare for Research and Future Careers
A total of 20 graduate and undergraduate Sanofi Genzyme Research Fellows are working on advanced research in life sciences in CSM.
- UMass Boston Scientist Uses Coral to Reveal Connection Between Climate Trends and El Niño
Coral in Pacific Ocean Reveal Increased Potential for El Niño
- I Can See For Miles: The Past, Present, and Future of the Nantucket Field Station
Connect with Nantucket Field Station researchers!
- Queasy Over Oysters? UMass Boston Scientists Investigate Why Some Are Prone to Bad Bacteria
UMass Boston professors and grad students look for new ways to track bacteria outbreaks in oysters.
- UMass Boston Collaborates with International Space Station Research Project
School for the Environment Professor Crystal Schaaf is a collaborator on the GEDI Lidar project.
- Actor Mark Ruffalo Visits UMass Boston’s Nantucket Field Station
Oscar- and Emmy-nominated actor Mark Ruffalo, who stars as Hulk in the Avengers movies, visited UMass Boston’s Nantucket Field Station recently to discuss a new partnership between his nonprofit organization Water Defense and field station Director Sarah Oktay.
- New Report Highlights Urgent Need for Ocean Science Literacy
A Diverse Consortium of Scientists, Educators and Museum Experts Developed Report Published by UMass Boston
- International Relations Program Honors Daniel Zaleznik: An ‘Outstanding Thinker’
The winner of this year's International Relations Convocation Award has a perfect GPA and was a member of the UMass Boston faculty-student team that traveled to Nairobi, Kenya last year to participate in the Governing Council meetings of the United Nations Environment Programme.
- Continuous Collaborations: Faculty and Students Foster and Maintain Engagement
Faculty foster student engagement
- Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga Highlights Africa’s Development
Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga visited the UMass Boston campus on May 6 to deliver a talk, “The Awakening African Lion,” as part of the Distinguished International Lecture series.
- Ocean Science: The Final, Final Frontier
In a new report, Professor Bob Chen and his colleagues present some unorthodox suggestions for how scientists and educators could increase the public’s understanding of the ocean’s impact on everyday life.
- UMass Boston and New England Aquarium Partnership Strengthens Research Efforts
UMass Boston and the New England Aquarium launched a first-of-its-kind partnership recently to encourage even stronger research collaborations between the two institutions.
- UMass Boston’s Center for Green Chemistry Leads Charge for Environmental Awareness in Science
Director Wei Zhang will travel to India to meet with his colleagues in green chemistry.
- UMass Boston Minute: Rachel Greene Visits Antarctica
Oceanography students visited Antarctica to study krill.
- UMass Boston Professor Appointed to U.N. Scientific Advisory Board
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed Maria Ivanova to the new United Nations Scientific Advisory Board.
- School for the Environment Faculty Receive $120K from President Caret
The Lab for Urban & Coastal Environmental Science (LUCES) will research mussels, coastal areas, and carbon in the ocean.
- Celebrating the Life and Work of Nobel Peace Laureate, Wangari Maathai
McCormack's Maria Ivanova interviews Maathai's daughter as part of “Africa’s Green Future: Nurturing the Vision of Wangari Maathai” symposium.
- UMass Boston Earns $3M IGERT Grant to Study Natural and Human Systems in Urbanizing Environments
The University of Massachusetts Boston is launching a new graduate program to train the next generation of environmental problem-solvers, funded by a five-year, $3.1 million grant from the National Science Foundation.
- $3 Million IGERT Grant Will Fund Coasts and Communities Fellowships
A $3.1 million grant from the National Science Foundation will fund fellowships in global environmental research.
- Free Talk on Nantucket: “Shellfish: Ecosystem Engineers, Aquaculture Crops, and Dinner!”
A talk by Sandra E. Shumway.
- School for the Environment Affiliated Personnel Champion Environmental Issues at Canadian Conference
Department of Marketing and Management faculty spread the word about environmental issues in conferences and journals.
- UMass Boston Professor, Students in Antarctica Studying Food Source for Whales, Seals, Penguins
A group from UMass Boston has teamed up with students and faculty from the University of Rhode Island to study the diet of krill off the coast of Antarctica.
- Trustees Approve New School for the Environment at UMass Boston
The University of Massachusetts Boston today took a major step toward becoming a global leader in environmental research, education, and outreach, with the UMass Board of Trustees’s approval of a new School for the Environment.
- UMass Boston Researchers Find Himalayas Warming More Rapidly Than the Rest of the Earth
UMass Boston graduate student Uttam Babu Shrestha and Distinguished Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa are published in international journal PLoS One.
- Lecture: “Three Bodies: Rethinking Environmental Health and Food Production in Mohawk Community”
Guest lecture by Dr. Elizabeth Hoover, Anthropology (Brown University)
- UMass Boston Professor Discusses Governance at U.N. Global Ministerial Environment Forum in Nairobi
Center for Governance and Sustainability Co-director Maria Ivanova was invited to share her expertise at the 26th Session of the Governing Council of the UNEP.
- From Trash to Treasure: Upward Bound Students Raise Money to Build School in Guatemala
UMass Boston Upward Bound students will travel to Guatemala during spring break to build a school out of waste.
- Aspiring Computer Scientists Participate in UMass Boston’s Tech Savvy Computing Camp
UMass Boston hosted a one-day computing camp designed to serve as the launching point for developing a week-long summer science camp.
- UMass Boston Professors Give Teens a Lesson in Protecting the Environment
Professor Anamarija Frankić led a group of teenagers on a canoe trip down the Neponset River, collecting water samples to teach environmental stewardship.
- New Center to Develop “Green-and-White-Collar” Job Training
Professional training in the growing field of green business will be administered through the Center for Sustainable Enterprise and Regional Competitiveness.