Tag: Gender, Leadership, And Public Policy Program
- Business Leaders Advancing Social Change
Jesse Mermell, president of Alliance for Business Leadership, will discuss Business Leaders Advancing Social Change.
- Celebrate the Publication of Professor Courtenay Sprague’s Book, Gender and HIV in South Africa
Join us as we congratulate Courtenay on her new book which addresses the ongoing problem of HIV in black South African women as a health inequity
- After the War: UMass Boston Scholar Leads Women in Examining Economies That Work for Women
UMass Boston's Consortium on Gender, Security, and Human Rights has prepared a report based on a July 2017 gathering of feminist security scholars and feminist political economists.
- Yvonne Spicer ‘04 Uses Skills from Leadership in Urban Schools EdD to Lead New City
Yvonne Spicer '04 is Framingham’s first-ever mayor.
- Master Class: Stay Calm and Communicate On
In this master class, learn innovative secrets to successfully communicate in the most challenging circumstances. Facilitated by Rachel Rice, MBA, Five Rhythms Consulting.
- Master Class: The Art of Listening
In this master class, you will learn to use the skill sets of improvisation to become a better and more active listener. Facilitated by Norm Laviolette and Chet Harding, Improv Asylum.
- Master Class: Inclusive Leadership
In this master class, you will examine the barriers and challenges to effective communication across cultures, genders, and styles. Facilitated by Su Joun, MBA, Diversity@Workplace Consulting Group.
- Master Class: Conduct Difficult Conversations with Ease and Confidence
In this master class, learn to increase your ability and willingness to have tough conversations on important issues affecting your organization, all while improving your working relationships.
- Elder Care: Enhancing Quality of Life for Our Aging Population
Join us for an insightful online discussion with two Emerging Leaders Program alums with expertise on elder care and enhancing the quality of life for your aging loved ones.
- The Opioid Crisis: The Stigmas and Misconceptions
Join us for an insightful online discussion with two Emerging Leaders Program alumni with expertise in addition recovery.
- Andrew Dreyfus Honored With “Building a Better Boston” Award
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts president & CEO was recognized for contributions to advancing the Boston region at the Center for Collaborative Leadership's Building a Better Boston award breakfast.
- Public Administration Alum Chosen for National Leadership Program to Build Health Equity
Robert Torres has been chosen for the next cohort of 40 Culture of Health Leaders, a leadership development initiative supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- A Cautionary Tale: Fundraiser to Brewery Owner
ELP alum Ryan Ackerman's cautionary tale of flight from Boston, reevaluating priorities, and making a lot less money.
- Collaborative Leadership in Action: ELP Team Project Presentation Makes Some Changes for the Better
Collaborative Leadership in Action provided a forum for sharing lessons the Emerging Leaders Program fellows learned from their team projects.
- Innovation = Collaboration + Leadership: UMass Boston Program Celebrates Collaborative Leaders
The Center for Collaborative Leadership's 16th Annual "Changing the Face of Leadership" lunch on June 16 celebrated many highlights, including a surprise from the 2017 ELP fellows...
- Emerging Leaders Program Summer Networking Social (August)
Emerging Leaders Program fellows and alums get together to build and strengthen their personal and professional network.
- Boston Police Commissioner Bill Evans Gives Leadership Advice to Honors College Junior Colloquium
Boston Police Commissioner Bill Evans gave some leadership advice to the Honors College students in the Becoming a Leader class before their final presentations last month: Use common sense, and be humble.
- UMass Boston Hosts Leadership Forum on Early Education, Launches New Innovation Lab and Accelerator
The accelerator will provide mentoring, networking, and access to capital necessary to start and grow businesses through a cohort-based program.
- Online Training Session: The Discover Your True North Fieldbook: Find Your Authentic Leadership
Join us for an online session with Amelia Newbury of the Authentic Leadership Institute for a thought-provoking and powerful session all about YOU and your leadership approach.
- UMass Boston Leadership Development Program Helps Make Michelle Landers the “Clear Choice”
Michelle Landers credits the Emerging Leaders Program with providing her the skills to be named as executive director for the Urban Land Institute Boston / New England (ULI).
- Director Carol Cohn to Participate in USIP Event, “After War, Gender Equality Needs Investment Too”
In this webcast event panelists will discuss how to better integrate gender analysis into public finance, and opportunities for women’s participation in economic structures.
- Community Leadership and Political Identity: Reflections on a Path Towards Wholeness and Belonging
Maria Elena Letona is the executive director at Neighbor to Neighbor Massachusetts and the CWPPP distinguished public service leader. Hear what she has to say at this public lecture.
- Center for Collaborative Leadership Honors Mel King with Building a Better Boston Award
Three hundred Boston-area civic and business leaders came together to honor legendary social activist Mel King at the UMass Boston Center for Collaborative Leadership’s fifth annual Building a Better Boston Award Breakfast on Friday at the Seaport World Trade Center.
- Ayanna Pressley, Michelle Wu Join UMass Boston Experts to Discuss New Book
Join the McCormack Graduate School for a discussion of a new book, Race, Gender, and Political Leadership in 21st Century America.
- Panel Discussion: Contested Transformation: Race, Gender, and Political Leadership
Join us for the RESCHEDULED discussion about racial and ethnic minorities holding elective office in the United States.
- Public Seminar on Gendering Public Finance: Insights & Opportunities for Furthering Gender Equality
The Consortium for Gender, Security and Human Rights is cosponsoring an upcoming public seminar on gendered analyses of public finance institutions and mechanisms in countries emerging from violent conflict in Oslo, Norway.
- Six-Term Senator Pat McGovern Calls for More Women to Run for Public Office
The Honorable Patricia McGovern discusses her career in public service, battles against sexism, and women’s leadership.
- ELP January Networking Social
Join the UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program Alumni Board at the monthly Networking Social for the opportunity to gather with your ELP colleagues. Please note location change.
- Building a Better Boston Award Breakfast Honoring Andrew Dreyfus
Join us November 8 to celebrate affordable health care advocate Andrew Dreyfus at the Center for Collaborative Leadership's Building a Better Boston Award Breakfast.
- Finding Stephen Roger: One Person’s Reinvention Story
Here is a story about one UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program alum who, after a layoff, took the time to reinvent himself and pursue a career that aligned with his passions and values.
- ELP Cares: Lead for Those in Need
The ELP Cares: Lead for Those in Need movement is a vital and gratifying component of a true leadership experience.
- Rebel at Work: Marlo Fogelman
Marlo Fogelman setting a standard for helping employees alleviate the stresses of the modern-day workplace.
- Online Training Session: Are You Ready for the Reinvention Revolution?
Join us for an Online Training Session for a provocative interactive session about transition and the opportunity for professional and personal reinvention.
- Online Training Session: Free Your Rebel Thinkers
Join us for an Online Training Session to learn the value of your rebels as well as how to manage rebels so that they’re able to help your organization grow.
- Online Training Session: What’s Holding YOU Back in Business?
Join us for an Online Training Session to learn how to get unstuck, get laser-focused and create an action plan for success. Make this a year of action.
- Community of Leaders Serves as Teachers for Honors College Students
Eleven students in the Becoming a Leader class have spent the spring semester gaining leadership lessons from an impressive roster of CEOs, politicians, nonprofit chiefs, and entrepreneurs.
- UMass Boston Sophomore Named One of Top Student Leaders in Country
Sophomore psychology major Joel Colon is one of 218 student leaders nationwide to receive the 2016 Campus Compact Newman Civic Fellows Award.
- Peace Corps Information Session
Come and learn how you can make a difference through the Peace Corps!
- Collaborative Leadership in Action: A Public Symposium
Join us for an interactive public forum on how collaborative leadership prepares rising leaders to deal with a climate of ambiguity, constant change, and limited resources.
- Changing the Face of Leadership Lunch: Raising OUR Voices Together for Change
Join the UMass Boston Center for Collaborative Leadership on June 8th at the Seaport Hotel for Raising OUR Voices Together for Change.
- Gender Justice, Remedy and Reparation
In this talk Dyan Mazurana will discuss her research on the intersection of gender and women’s and children’s rights with processes of justice during armed conflict and under authoritarian regimes.
- Sexual Violence in the Context of Armed Conflict’s Criminal, Corrupt and Violent Economies
Too often the literature on wartime violence against women emphasizes individualized violence in interpersonal contexts, neglecting important economic and political factors...
- UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program Alum Setting the Stage for Winter’s Landing
ELP alum Chris Sinclair's vision for Winter's Landing is to turn City Hall Plaza into the centerpiece for arts, entertainment, and winter programming in the City of Boston.
- Brain Science and Leadership
Dive into cutting edge information about neuroscience and learn to focus your attention and energy to maximize your productivity, capacity, leadership effectiveness and impact.
- Rapid Strategy Development: Moving from SWOT to SOAR
People commit to what they help create. Learn how to engage your workforce in ways that create a bold future vision, inspired action, commitment, and follow through.
- GLPP Alumna Advances Diversity and Equality in the Private Sector
Janine Ting Jansen works to make equity and diversity a reality.
- UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program Alumna Helps Women Navigate Transition
Linda Rossetti came to realize that she spent 20 years building a career trajectory towards a path that for her, didn’t hold depth. She knew another change was not the answer, and embarked on the process of transition. She left her job and decided to write a book on transition.
- UMass Boston Hosts Academy of International Business Frontier Conference
Last week, October 22-24, the Organizations and Social Change (OSC) Research Group of the College of Management hosted the Academy of International Business (AIB) US-Northeast Frontier Conference at UMass Boston.
- Info Session: NEW Gender, Leadership, and Public Policy MPA
The McCormack Graduate School for Policy and Global Studies is now offering two options for studying gender and policy.
- A Conversation about Gender and Immigration with Diana Salas Coronado
Public Policy PhD student and LGPP lecturer talks about her teaching and research at the McCormack Graduate School.
- A Conversation With Stacy Malone About Victims’ Rights
GLPP Alumna Stacy Malone, Class of 2007, is executive director of the Victim Rights Law Center. Her career trajectory began with her State House internship while a student in UMass Boston’s Gender, Leadership and Public Policy graduate certificate program.
- Towards an Anti-Heroic History of Fiji Women Soldiers
Teaiwa’s research points to both the possibility and necessity of developing an anti-heroic account of Fiji women soldiers' histories and experiences.
- Case Study: Using Appreciative Inquiry to Enable Urban Renewal, Economic and Workforce Redevelopment
The Center for Collaborative Leadership understands that executives lead busy lives. That is why we developed an online training series. This academic year, we will focus on Appreciative Inquiry.
- An Appreciative Inquiry Approach to Resolving Conflict
The Center for Collaborative Leadership understands that executives lead busy lives. That is why we developed an Online Training Series. This academic year, we will focus on Appreciative Inquiry.
- Employer Information Session with City Year
Come and learn how working with City Year can help pay your tuition.
- Employer Information Session with City Year
Come and learn how working with City Year can help pay your tuition.
- ELP Networking Social: Location change: MJ O’Connor’s
To celebrate the start of the 2018 ELP, we are holding a networking social during the September week-long leadership immersion - location change: MJ O'Connor's.
- International Gender Experts Convene in Norway to Develop Feminist Roadmap for Sustainable Peace
International Gender Experts Convene in Norway to Develop Feminist Roadmap for Sustainable Peace
- UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program Alumnus Making a Difference in Recovery Treatment
Ken Weber, a Falmouth resident and a 2002 graduate of the University of Massachusetts Boston’s Emerging Leaders Program leveraged his executive education and management skills to take a leap of faith to follow his path of wanting to help others.
- Leading the Way Award Winner Credits a Beacon and a Compass
The Center for Collaborative Leadership honored UMass Boston's Philip J. Carver, an Emerging Leaders Program alumnus from the class of 2006, with the third annual Leading the Way award.
- Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy 20th Anniversary Celebration
Building the Political Pipeline for Women’s Leadership: Looking Forward to the Next 20 Years.
- Ramona Peters (Mashpee Wampanoag) Speaks at UMass Boston
Ramona Peters, the Tribal Preservation Officer & NAGPRA director at Mashpee, spoke about her work
- Two McCormack Graduate Students Earn 2015 Beacon Student Leadership Awards
Parfait Gasana and Wade Cedar set up an English-language children's reading room in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Environmental Leadership Across Scales and Geographies: A Perspective from the United Nations
Join us Earth Day lecture by Elliott Harris, assistant secretary-general and director of the New York Office of the UN Environment Programme.
- When is Gender Measurable?
Professor Julie Nelson gave a keynote address at a workshop at Aarhus University in Denmark on March 16 and 17.
- 100% Woman
For the first 20 years of her life, mountain bike champ Michelle Dumaresq was Michael. 100% Woman is an adrenaline-fueled ride-along on her controversial foray into international women's competition.
- Forum: Advancing Diversity and Inclusion in Executive Leadership Panel Discussion
Join the College of Public and Community Service for this important presentation and discussion about advancing inclusion in executive leadership
- Conversation with Richard Lapchick, Internationally-Recognized Expert on Race and Gender in Sports
Richard E. Lapchick is a human rights activist and pioneer for racial equality.
- Guest lecture: Gender, Security, and Development in the Maoist Conflict in India
Join the Department of Conflict Resolution, Human Security and Global Governance for a special lecture by Swati Parashar
- What’s Your Next Move? Dance Floor Theory Leadership Workshop
Join this leadership workshop and find out why all the people in the center of the dance floor are having all the fun!
- Orientation Leader Information Sessions
Learn about one of the top leadership positions on campus!
- Latino Leadership Initiative Prepares UMass Boston Students for Expanded Roles
Three members of the University of Massachusetts Boston’s Class of 2015 spent part of this summer strengthening their leadership skills at the fifth annual Latino Leadership Initiative.
- Women’s and Gender Studies 40th Anniversary Celebration
Join us for an afternoon of celebrating the past, present and future of one of the best and brightest hubs of feminist thinking and doing in New England!
- The Consortium on Gender, Security, and Human Rights Presents: “Women, Peace, and Security”
Policy's Skewed Focus on Sexual Violence: The Failure of a "Successful" Feminist Intervention?
- McCormack Graduate School Assembles Impressive Leadership Council to Help Shape Its Future
Our new Leadership Council is a group of civically minded thought leaders who understand and value the mission of the graduate school.
- Paternalism & Women’s Political Participation in Sri Lanka
The Consortium on Gender, Security, and Human Rights presents a free lecture with Malathi de Alwis, a consultant socio-cultural anthropologist.
- Mogul, Mom & Maid: A Panel Discussion
Liz O’Donnell, author of Mogul, Mom & Maid: The Balancing Act of the Modern Woman, will speak at this Center for Collaborative Leadership event about choices women are making.
- 2nd Annual Building a Better Boston Award Ceremony
UMass Boston's Center for Collaborative Leadership will present Richard E. Holbrook, chairman and CEO of Eastern Bank, with the Building a Better Boston Award. Breakfast is included in the ticket.
- Share Our Strength CEO Shares Leadership Lessons at UMass Boston
Bill Shore spoke as part of the McCormack Leadership Series sponsored by McCormack Grad School.
- Women’s Economic Empowerment in Conflict and Post Conflict Societies
The Consortium on Gender, Security and Human Rights invites you to attend this lecture by Joy Ana Onyesoh, president of the Women's International League for Peace & Freedom Nigeria.
- Guest Lecture Series: Representations of Indigenous Women on Stage
The Women's and Gender Studies Department's lecture series, Indigenous Women: Sustaining Nationhood, is bringing Madeline Sayet to campus to speak about how indigenous women are represented on stage.
- UMass Boston’s McCormack Grad School Kicks Off New Leadership Lecture Series
McCormack Grad School hosts local and global thought leaders in politics, education, public service, the nonprofit sector, and business community.
- Three McCormack Int’l Relations, Global Governance Scholars Publish Books
Books from Murphy, Parpart, and Shaw include reprints of two classics and a new edited collection on global governance.
- Project Serve Volunteer Opportunity: Plan for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk
Join Project Serve, part of UMass Boston's Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement, and prep for the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event.
- McCormack Leadership Series: When Good is Not Good Enough
Join us on November 4 for this McCormack Grad School lecture by Bill Shore, CEO of Share Our Strength
- Don West’s “Portraits of Purpose: A Tribute to Leadership”
On exhibit in the Harbor Gallery through September 27, Don West's "Portraits of Purpose: A Tribute to Leadership" pays tribute to leaders that made their mark locally.
- Orientation Leader Information Session
Are you fired up about UMass Boston? This is your last chance to get information about applying to become an orientation leader.
- UMass Boston Alumni Mark 20th Anniversary of Higher Ed EdD Program
On Thursday, June 20, the Higher Education Administration Doctoral Program kicked off its 20th anniversary with a panel discussion, reception, and dinner in UMass Boston’s Campus Center Ballroom.
- UMass Boston Fellows Take Honed Leadership Skills Back to Public, Private Sectors
When you think of the Girl Scouts, you probably think of cookies. Geoff Phillips and the other fellows in his Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) group have spent the last nine months making sure users’ experiences with the Girl Scouts’ website is equally as satisfying.
- Against All Odds: Nega Women’s Work to Build Peace during Seven Decades of Naga-India Conflict
The Consortium on Gender, Security, and Human Rights invites you to this lecture by Singmila Shimrah.
- Leadership in Sports: Boston Celtics Captain Paul Pierce Speaks on Campus
The Undergraduate Student Government and the Division of Athletics and Recreation, Special Projects and Programs is bringing Paul Pierce to campus as part of the Leadership in Sports series.
- Celtics Captain Paul Pierce to Speak on Campus Thursday
Boston Celtics captain Paul Pierce is coming to UMass Boston on Thursday to speak to students about leadership in sports. He will be joined by Tara Mardigan, a nutritionist for the Boston Red Sox, and Bob Ryan, a columnist emeritus at The Boston Globe.
- Evolving Strategies for the Reintegration of Women and Girls in the Aftermath of Sex Slavery
Elizabeth Goldberg will explore the problems of poverty, political instability, and ongoing gender injustice that inform sex trafficking. Sponsored by the Center on Gender, Security and Human Rights.
- Gender and the Political Economy of Conflict: How Much Do We Really Know?
The Center of Gender, Security, and Human Rights invites you to this free talk with author Sonali Deraniyagala.
- Professor Nelson’s Work Discussed on NPR’s Marketplace Money
Professor Nelson talks about her recent work on gender and risk aversion
- Emerging Leaders Offer Solutions to Businesses, Nonprofits
The 2012 fellows in the Center for Collaborative Leadership’s Emerging Leaders Program focused on communications efforts for their community partners.
- Lunch and Conversation with the Author of Bring Me Men
The Center on Gender, Security, and Human Rights presents a conversation with Aaron Belkin, associate professor of political science at San Francisco State University.
- Inside UN Peacekeeping: Policy Changes that Work for Women
The Consortium on Gender, Security and Human Rights sponsors this free talk by Nadine Peuchguirbal and Cynthia Enloe.
- UMass Boston Students to Expand Leadership Skills at Conference
Five University of Massachusetts Boston students will begin a weeklong intensive leadership program on Saturday.
- Conflict Resolution Student Jillian Furman Earns Student Leadership Award
Master's degree candidate earns Beacon Leadership Award