- Jan Mutchler’s Reception
This reception honors Jan Mutchler, recipient of the 2016 Chancellor’s Award for Distinguished Service.
- Chancellor’s Awards Highlight Faculty Excellence at 2016 Commencement Ceremony
Three professors win awards for Distinguished Scholarship, Teaching, and Service
- Gerontology’s Jan Mutchler Earns Chancellor’s Service Award
Mutchler’s demographic scholarship and community service extend from local municipalities to the national arena as well.
- Careers in Aging
Experts discuss their careers in aging
- Weller’s New Book Finds U.S. Retirement Crisis Rooted in Public Policy Failure
Rising wealth inequality and economic volatility have created an economic imperative to address retirement policy shortcomings.
- Gerontology Faculty Offers Expertise to Legislative Committee on Elder Affairs
Faculty discuss long-term support services, issues of elder health care and caregiving, transportation, income security, and nursing home quality.
- Be the Change: Exploring Graduate Programs in Public Service
Join us for a dynamic and informative evening showcasing public service and McCormack’s graduate programs
- Gerontology Student Earns Competitive NIH Dissertation Grant
McCormack Graduate School PhD student Mai See Yang earns a R36 Aging Research Dissertation Award to Increase Diversity.
- Undergrads Gain Valuable Gerontology Research Experience at McCormack Grad School
Two science majors are mentored during summer research project at Gerontology Institute.
- Conference Focuses on Planning Safe and Mobile Future for Massachusetts’ Older Drivers
The Gerontology Institute hosted the Older Driver Safety Summit, aimed to create a five-year plan to reduce crashes and safe mobility for older drivers in Massachusetts.
- Gerontology Prof Edward Miller Promoted to Full Professor
McCormack Grad School congratulates Professor Miller for his scholarship, teaching, and service achievements.
- McCormack Salutes More than 150 New Graduates
We honor this year’s awardees and McCormack’s entire graduating class of 2015
- McCormack Colleagues Participate in Regional Forum in Advance of White House Conference on Aging
McCormack Graduate School dean and directors contributed to the dialogue on the future of aging policy.
- Department of Gerontology Welcomes New Faculty Member
Jennifer Gaudet Hefele, an expert in nursing home compare, will start in September at the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies.
- Careers in Aging
Join us for the annual Careers in Aging event featuring three UMass Boston alumni discussing their career paths.
- Gerontology Students and Faculty Awarded Funding from Office of Global Programs
Three Gerontology projects have been awarded funding by the Office of Global Programs at UMass Boston
- Boston Kicks Off Age-Friendly City Initiative with Help from Gerontology Institute
The City of Boston, in partnership with AARP and the UMass Boston Gerontology Institute, has begun the 5-year process of becoming a World Health Organization recognized Age Friendly City.
- Dorchester Residents Enjoy the Richness of OLLI’s Offerings at UMass Boston
Seniors from Dorchester both facilitate and enroll in lifelong learning courses offered by the Gerontology Institute's OLLI Program.
- MA Office of Public Collaboration Joins the McCormack Grad School
Dean Ira A. Jackson welcomes MOPC as its newest center at the McCormack Graduate School.
- Ellen Birchander Assumes Helm of Management of Aging Services Program
Birchander changes her role from co-director to graduate program director of this award-winning, online program at UMass Boston.
- Older Driver Safety Summit: Planning a Safe and Mobile Future for Massachusetts
This event is designed to create a five-year plan to reduce crashes and improve older driver safe mobility across the Commonwealth.
- The Conversation Project: Discussing End of Life Care
'The Gerontology Speaker Series hosts the director of the Conversation Project.
- Honors College & McCormack Graduate School Accelerated BA/Master’s Informational Meeting
Attend this event to learn more about an exciting opportunity for accelerated master's programs.
- UMass Boston Gerontology Students Raise Funds for Alzheimer’s Association
McCormack and CPCS students walked to raise over $2400 for a great cause,
- UMass Boston Well Represented at National Gerontology Conference
Thirty-five faculty, students, and alumni present their research at the Gerontological Society of America annual meeting.
- UMass Boston Gerontology Student Earns National Award
Elizabeth Chen earns the Person-in-Training Award from the Gerontological Society of America.
- CPCS Daytime Information Session at 150 Mt. Vernon Street, Dorchester
Learn more about Degree and Certificate programs at the College of Public and Community Service
- Pension Action Center Celebrates 20th Anniversary
The outpouring of support from the many sponsors was a tribute to the great work of the Pension Action Center and to Ellen Bruce’s outstanding career as a lawyer and gerontology professor.
- Study Finds Religious Activity Can Prevent, Curb Depression Among Older Adults
UMass Boston researchers find increased prayer, attendance at religious services have a positive impact on mental health.
- Gerontology PhD Students Prepare For Year Two
Gerontology PhD students work over the summer and reflect on their first year in the program
- Gerontology Alum Lands Job with Alzheimer’s Association
Knowledge gained from the Management of Aging Services program has enhanced his understanding of aging issues leaving him energized, motivated, and satisfied in his career.
- UMass Boston Faculty Receive $95,557 in Creative Economy Grants
Faculty at the University of Massachusetts Boston have received a combined $95,557 in Creative Economy Grants from UMass President Robert Caret’s office.
- Gerontology Undergraduate Certificate Ceremony
CPCS celebration of achievement
- Twenty Years, $45 Million in Benefits
Join the Pension Action Center for this fundraising event celebrating the center and its retiring founder, Ellen A. Bruce.
- Gerontology Professor Encourages LGBT Community to ‘Know Your Rights’ on Social Security
Gerontology @ UMass Boston sponsors event to educate LGBT community on changes to Social Security following the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act.
- Gerontology Faculty and Staff Earn Creative Economy Grants
McCormack Graduate School faculty and staff take on new research to benefit families and older adults.
- Gerontology Graduate Appointed to UN Committee on Aging
Gerontology alum Kelly Fitzgerald appointed Vice Chair of UN NGO Committee on Ageing - Geneva
- Winning Gerontology Papers Address Caring for Aging Veterans and Intergenerational Programs
This year's winning Gerontology capstone papers address caring for aging veterans and offering intergenerational community programs.
- Two Gerontology Students Earn Convocation Prizes for Outstanding Research
McCormack Grad School students Jiyoung Lyu and Shaungshuang Wang receive scholarship awards.
- Gerontology Honors Two Student Mentors with Service Awards
McCormack Graduate School honors peer leaders, Caitlin Coyle and Chae Man Lee.
- Len Fishman Joins UMass Boston as Director of Gerontology Institute
Longtime Leader in Aging Policy to Replace Retiring Ellen Bruce
- Kathrin Boerner Joins UMass Boston’s Department of Gerontology
Boerner brings a wealth of research experience in mental health and aging, family caregiving and support needs, the long-term care workforce, and end-of-life and bereavement issues.
- Panel Provides Useful Tips for Finding a Job in Field of Aging
The idea that there has never been a better time for people entering the field of aging was voiced by all of the panelists.
- UMass Boston Minute: Gerontology at UMass Boston
The Gerontology Department examines the intersection of aging, health, economics, and social issues.
- UMass Boston Prof Receives Mentorship Award from Association of Gerontology in Higher Education
Nina Silverstein was selected for the 2014 Hiram J. Friedsam Mentorship Award.
- McCormack Graduate School RAP Session: Research, Advocacy, and Policy event
Join McCormack Grad School community for a display of student, staff, and faculty research, advocacy, and policy projects.
- March 2014 McCormack Graduate School Community Gathering
Please join us for our monthly community gathering for McCormack Grad School students, faculty, staff, and friends.
- Gerontology Institute Prepares First-of-its-Kind Aging Report for Tufts Health Plan Foundation
A UMass Boston report finds rates of depression, hypertension, and Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias among older adults are higher in Massachusetts compared to national averages.
- UMass Boston Gerontology Dept. Well Represented at National Research Conference
More than 30 researchers with ties to McCormack Graduate School present at Gerontological Society of America annual scientific meeting.
- UMass Boston Celebrates Research, Innovation, Scholarship, and Creativity at Recent Luncheon
Vice Provost for Research and Dean of Graduate Studies hosts 270 at Campus Center event.
- Student/Alumni Panel Praises Supportive Environment at McCormack Graduate School
At the recent Prospective Student Visit Day, students and alumni praised the faculty and cohort support in their graduate programs.
- McCormack Graduate School 2013 Annual Alumni Networking Celebration
Tis the season to celebrate with you
- McCormack Graduate School Community Gathering
Back from Kaduna
- Gerontology Journal Editors’ Panel Discussion
Please join us for this colloquium series sponsored by McCormack Grad School's Gerontology Department
- Colloquium: “Behavioral Health Services for Older Adults” with Wen-Chieh Lin, PhD
Please join us for this guest lecture sponsored by McCormack Grad School's Gerontology Department.
- Colloquium: “Autism and Aging” with Susan L. Parish, PhD
Please join us for this guest lecture sponsored by McCormack Grad School's Gerontology Department
- Gerontology Faculty Panel Discussion of current research interests and activities
Please join us for this colloquium series sponsored by McCormack Grad School's Gerontology Department
- Welcome Back Community Breakfast
What's Brewing at McCormack? Join us for breakfast and find out!
- Management of Transportation Options for Seniors, New Online Certificate Program at UMass Boston
New offering by McCormack Grad School's Gerontology Institute and the College of Advancing and Professional Studies
- Assistant Professor Pamela Nadash Awarded GSA Fellowship
Assistant Professor Pam Nadash awarded fellow status by Gerontological Society of America.
- Four UMass Boston Gerontology Students Present Research at World Congress in Seoul, South Korea
Four Gerontology doctoral students will present their research at the 20th IAGG World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics in Seoul, South Korea.
- Pension Action Center Featured in Video about Nationwide Pension Counseling Program
The center’s managing attorney, Jeanne Medeiros, is featured prominently in the video and is very articulate in describing the importance of the work that the projects do.
- 16 McCormack Students Receive Special Awards at Commencement
Master's and doctoral students are recognized for outstanding scholarship, service, leadership, and innovation at graduation ceremony,
- Despite Significant Hurdles, Johnson Earns PhD, Top Gerontology Prize, and Tenure-Track Faculty Job
Visually-impaired student Kimberley Johnson earns doctorate at McCormack Graduate School and moves on to University of Indiana faculty position.
- Faculty Spotlight
Management of Aging Services Professor Joan Hyde shares her experience in aging services.
- Catching up with Gerontology Alumni
Interview with 2012 Management of Aging Services graduate Emily Judd.
- UMass Boston’s Policy School Showcases Community Partnerships
At recent UMass Boston event, McCormack Grad School showcases their community engagement activities.
- Gerontology Honor Society Event at UMass Boston Steers Students Toward Booming Aging Industry
Students in the Gamma Upsilon chapter of Sigma Phi Omega national gerontology honor society hold Careers in Aging event.
- Gerontology Alumnus Explains How to Bridge the Gap Between Researcher and Policymaker
James Bulot, PhD tells students to become a policy maven to understand and straddle both worlds
- Turkish University Names Library After UMass Boston Gerontology Director
For Nina Silverstein, director of the undergraduate gerontology certificate programs at UMass Boston, an out-of-the-blue email in 2006 sparked a long-running professional partnership.
- Careers in Aging Event: Career Panel and Luncheon
UMass Boston welcomes prospective students and others interested in the booming aging industry to this free event on April 8.
- UMass Boston to Hold Careers in Aging Event on April 8
Nationwide events during Careers in Aging Week will steer students toward booming aging industry.
- Gerontology Student Wins Top Prize at AGHE Meeting
UMass Boston Gerontology PhD student Kristen Porter won the top prize at the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education annual conference.
- Financial Well-Being across the Cancer Continuum
Join Harvard's Tucker-Seeley for this Gerontology Speaker series event.
- OLLI Provides Life-Enrichment Opportunities for Older Adults
The spring 2013 catalog offers members a wide choice of courses, trips, video conferences, and much more.
- UMass Boston Alumna Named as Gerontological Society Fellow
McCormack Graduate School alumna Kristen Corazzini, PhD is honored for her contributions to the field of gerontology.
- UMass Boston Professor Jeffrey Burr Named Editor-in-Chief of Research on Aging
McCormack Graduate School professor of gerontology to edit leading social science journal on aging
- CPCS Alumni Reflect on Past, Look Ahead to Future
The College of Public and Community Service's alumni reception was a chance for Interim Dean Anna Madison to tell alumni about the college’s current offerings and future plans.
- Gerontology Professor Edits Book Assessing Affordable Care Act
Edward MIller's book reviews ACA's potential efficacy and impact on the aging population in US.
- Gerontology Institute to House Center for Social and Demographic Research on Aging
MGS opens new center to expand demographic and applied research capacity on aging issues.
- Gerontology Institute Conducts Needs Assessments in Two Local Communities
MGS faculty and student researchers evaluate aging-related needs in Hingham and Cohasset.
- MGS Recruitment Luncheon at Massachusetts State House
Learn more about our graduate programs in policy and global studies at this free luncheon recruitment event.
- Late-Breaking Aging Research
Sigma Phi Omega, the national honor society in gerontology, hosts this brown bag event at McCormack Grad School.
- Caro Recognized as One of the First Researchers to Devote Serious Attention to Productive Aging
Alternatives that allow people to remain at home and in their communities as long as possible have been a long-standing interest for Frank Caro.
- MGS Faculty, Students, and Alums Provide Stimulating Lifelong Learning for OLLI Members
Members of the McCormack Graduate School community offer a wide array of courses this fall
- Miller Named as Fellow of Gerontological Society of America
MGS' Edward Miller honored as fellow in nation's largest organization devoted to the study of aging.
- Mayor Menino to Declare Thursday College of Public and Community Service Day in Boston
Boston Mayor and College of Public and Community Service alumnus Thomas Menino will declare Thursday, April 26 College of Public and Community Service Day in Boston, the same day the college will host a showcase of its four undergraduate programs and master’s program in human services.
- CPCS Spring Showcase
The faculty, staff, and students of the College of Public and Community Service invite faculty to celebrate their 40th year.
- Multicultural Coalition on Aging: 2012 Professional Conference
The goal of this conference is to educate service providers serving diverse elders on the Affordable Care Act and its potential impact on service delivery.
- Alumna Bei Wu Presents Guest Lecture on Aging and Oral Health
Gerontology PhD Alum lectures on “Aging, Race/Ethnicity, and Oral Health in the U.S.”
- Gerontology Institute Releases National Elder Index
The Gerontology Institute at the University of Massachusetts Boston announces the release of the national Elder Economic Security Standard Index database.
- New England Pension Assistance Project Hits the $40 Million Mark
The New England Pension Assistance Project recently celebrated a significant milestone: helping 5,800 people recover $40 million in pension income since 1994.
- Lecture: Aging, Race/Ethnicity, and Oral Health in the U.S.
Gerontology Institute Colloquium series hosts Bei Wu, PhD
- Lecture: Advances in Palliative Care
Gerontology Institute Colloquium Series hosts Jane Givens, MD
- Lecture: The ACTIVE Study: 10-Year Follow-Up Results
Gerontology Institute Colloquium Series hosts Sharon Tennstedt, PhD
- Lecture: Update on Home Healthcare Research
Gerontology Institute Colloquium Series hosts Carol Ellenbecker, PhD.
- McCormack Graduate School Recruitment Luncheon at State House
Learn about our graduate programs in conflict resolution, gerontology, public affairs, public policy and others.
- Lillian Glickman Receives Frank J. Manning Leadership Award
The Massachusetts Association of Older Americans, Inc. will be honoring Lillian Glickman, co-director of the Gerontology Management of Aging Services Program at their Annual Meeting on October 21st with the Frank J. Manning Leadership Award.
- UMass Boston Gerontology Students Participate in Memory Walk
UMass Boston Gerontology students raise money for Alzheimer's Association by participating in the annual Memory Walk.
- Alzheimer’s Association Memory Walk
Join the McCormack Graduate School's Department of Gerontology for the annual Alzheimer’s Association Memory Walk on Sunday, September 25 at 9 a.m. at Canal Park at the CambridgeSide Galleria.