Tag: Gerontology Institute
- McCormack’s Gerontology Institute Studies Healthy Aging among Rhode Island Seniors
The report details 120 healthy aging indicators for older adults in each of the state’s 39 cities and towns.
- Gerontology Faculty Offers Expertise to Legislative Committee on Elder Affairs
Faculty discuss long-term support services, issues of elder health care and caregiving, transportation, income security, and nursing home quality.
- Undergrads Gain Valuable Gerontology Research Experience at McCormack Grad School
Two science majors are mentored during summer research project at Gerontology Institute.
- Conference Focuses on Planning Safe and Mobile Future for Massachusetts’ Older Drivers
The Gerontology Institute hosted the Older Driver Safety Summit, aimed to create a five-year plan to reduce crashes and safe mobility for older drivers in Massachusetts.
- Gerontology Institute’s Newest Healthy Aging Report Shows Education, Income Affect Health
On Wednesday, the Tufts Health Plan Foundation released the second part of the Gerontology Institute-produced Massachusetts Healthy Aging Data Report.
- Valuing Women’s Paid Care Work: From Research to Public Policy in Massachusetts
The Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy is pleased to host its 33rd Women’s Research Forum.
- Age-Friendly Boston
McCormack Grad School's Gerontology Institute joins Boston's Mayor's Office and AARP wants to make city government accessible, transparent, and inclusive for our seniors.
- Medeiros Promoted to Pension Action Center Director
McCormack Graduate School annouces Jeanne Medeiros’ new role at Gerontology Institute
- Illinois Pension Assistance Project Receives Grants to Continue Free Pension Counseling Services
Retirees who live in Illinois can rest assured that they will continue to have access to free pension counseling services thanks to a third year of funding from the Chicago-based Retirement Research Foundation and a special federal grant offering supplemental support.
- Comings and Goings at the Pension Action Center
There have recently been some staff changes at UMass Boston's Pension Action Center.
- Comings and Goings at UMass Boston’s Pension Action Center
Recent staff changes at the Pension Action Center
- UMass Boston Prof Receives Mentorship Award from Association of Gerontology in Higher Education
Nina Silverstein was selected for the 2014 Hiram J. Friedsam Mentorship Award.
- Gerontology Institute Prepares First-of-its-Kind Aging Report for Tufts Health Plan Foundation
A UMass Boston report finds rates of depression, hypertension, and Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias among older adults are higher in Massachusetts compared to national averages.
- UMass Boston Gerontology Dept. Well Represented at National Research Conference
More than 30 researchers with ties to McCormack Graduate School present at Gerontological Society of America annual scientific meeting.
- UMass Boston Senior Transportation Certificate Program receives funds from the Beverly Foundation
Received $25,500 from the Beverly Foundation to support and fund scholarships
- Illinois Pension Assistance Project Receives Second Year of Funding
Following a successful first year, retirees in Illinois will continue to have access to free pension counseling services offered by the Illinois Pension Assistance Project.
- Older Women’s Political Activism and Contributions to Social Justice
Mary Catherine Bateson speaks at Older Women's League event co-sponsored by McCormack Graduate School
- UMass Boston’s New England Pension Assistance Project Awarded $942,500 Grant
McCormack Grad School's Gerontology Institute project wins five-year grant from the Administration on Aging.
- Four UMass Boston Gerontology Students Present Research at World Congress in Seoul, South Korea
Four Gerontology doctoral students will present their research at the 20th IAGG World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics in Seoul, South Korea.
- Pension Action Center Featured in Video about Nationwide Pension Counseling Program
The center’s managing attorney, Jeanne Medeiros, is featured prominently in the video and is very articulate in describing the importance of the work that the projects do.
- UMass Boston Only School to Manage Two Journals on Aging
Journal on Aging & Social Policy and Research on Aging are edited by faculty and staff at McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies.
- Same Sex Marriage: Implications for Policymaking and Older Adults
Ellen Bruce, JD will present facts, procedure, and arguments as well as lead a community discussion on these pending Supreme Court cases.
- Careers in Aging Event: Career Panel and Luncheon
UMass Boston welcomes prospective students and others interested in the booming aging industry to this free event on April 8.
- OLLI Provides Life-Enrichment Opportunities for Older Adults
The spring 2013 catalog offers members a wide choice of courses, trips, video conferences, and much more.
- UMass Boston Researchers Develop New Tool to Measure Elder Economics
"Poverty level" doesn't tell the whole story, so researchers have devised a new way to measure the income older Americans require to meet their needs.
- Many Elders Cannot Meet Housing and Health Care Needs with Social Security Benefits Alone
Gerontology Institute develops new tool to measure income adequacy and issues National Elder Economic Security Report.
- UMass Boston Professor Jeffrey Burr Named Editor-in-Chief of Research on Aging
McCormack Graduate School professor of gerontology to edit leading social science journal on aging
- McCormack Graduate School Well Represented at National Gerontology Conference
Faculty and PhD students present more than 20 papers and posters at annual scientific conference.
- Gerontology Institute to House Center for Social and Demographic Research on Aging
MGS opens new center to expand demographic and applied research capacity on aging issues.
- Gerontology Institute Conducts Needs Assessments in Two Local Communities
MGS faculty and student researchers evaluate aging-related needs in Hingham and Cohasset.
- At MGS Event, Rep. Wolf Tells Women: “You Have the Numbers to Make a Difference in Politics”
Alice Woolf shared her perspectives at recent Center for Women in Politics and Gerontology Institute sponsored event.
- Gerontology Institute Leading Healthy Aging Research in Massachusetts for the Tufts Health Plan
Associate Professor Elizabeth Dugan leads new grant project at McCormack Graduate School
- Women: Your Power, Your Issues, Your Election
Representative Alice K. Wolf is featured speaker at event co-sponsored by Gerontology Institute
- For Professor Emeritus Frank Caro, Retirement Includes More Time for Research and Community Service
Although he retired four years ago, rest and relaxation often take a back seat to more research and service activities.
- Sandwiched Between Aging Parents and Boomerang Kids in Two Cohorts of American Women
Please join us for this Gerontology Institute guest lecture on December 3 at 1 p.m.
- How Poor Financial Risk Management Destroyed Older Households’ Wealth & What Policy Can Do About It
Join Professor Christian Weller for this Gerontology Institute colloquium on November 5 at 1 p.m.
- Future Directions in Preventing Late-Life Disability
Please join us for this Gerontology Institute guest lecture on September 17 at 1 PM
- Pension Action Center Expands to Illinois
The Pension Action Center of the Gerontology Institute at the University of Massachusetts Boston has received a grant from The Retirement Research Foundation to expand its pension counseling services to Illinois.
- Gerontology Institute Publishes Special Journal of Aging & Social Policy on Health Care Reform
Special issue devoted to the topics of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, long-term care, and elders.
- UMass Gerontology Institute and Beverly Foundation Offer Abstracts on Senior Transportation Options
Learn more about our collection of more than sixty abstracts focusing on senior transportation options.
- Victoria Reggie Kennedy Speaks on Influencing Public Policy: The Role of Midlife and Older Women
Guest lecture at the JFK Library sponsored by McCormack Graduate School's Gerontology Institute and the Eastern Massachusetts Chapter of OWL (Older Women's League).
- New England Pension Assistance Project Receives $200,000 AOA Grant
New England Pension Assistance Project receives $200,000 from AOA.
- Award of Fellowship Builds Pension Action Center Strength
Mia Midenjak, a recent Boston University Law School graduate, has been awarded a fellowship from the Law School to work at the Pension Action Center starting in September 2011 through June 2012.