Tag: Gerontology Institute, Senior Transportation, Mccormack Graduate School, Beverly Foundation
- Alumna Aids Domestic Violence Survivors
Krystal Rohloff discusses her work in the attorney general's office
- Gender, Leadership and Public Policy 2015 Graduates Are “Agents of Change”
Celebrating the achievements of the 21 women who completed the Gender, Leadership, and Public Policy graduate certificate program.
- “Just Imagine” Campaign Features McCormack PhD Student
Public Policy student Tanya Stepasiuk is one of five "Faces of UMass Boston" for new fundraising campaign.
- Conference Focuses on Planning Safe and Mobile Future for Massachusetts’ Older Drivers
The Gerontology Institute hosted the Older Driver Safety Summit, aimed to create a five-year plan to reduce crashes and safe mobility for older drivers in Massachusetts.
- Gerontology Prof Edward Miller Promoted to Full Professor
McCormack Grad School congratulates Professor Miller for his scholarship, teaching, and service achievements.
- UMass Boston to Host July Conference on Rebuilding Afghanistan
CRSCAD to host international conference “Rebuilding Sustainable Communities in Afghanistan: The Way Forward" on July 27.
- McCormack Salutes More than 150 New Graduates
We honor this year’s awardees and McCormack’s entire graduating class of 2015
- Honorary Degree Given to Bernard Osher, OLLI Funder
Philanthropist Bernard Osher was honored for his commitment to lifelong learning.
- Courses in Global Post-Disaster Studies Serve Wide Range of Students
Students in the new master’s degree program in urban planning and community development can enroll in three of CRSCAD’s courses.
- UMass Boston Hires Expert on Workforce Innovation to Lead Center for Social Policy
Susan Crandall joins the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies on July 1.
- McCormack Colleagues Participate in Regional Forum in Advance of White House Conference on Aging
McCormack Graduate School dean and directors contributed to the dialogue on the future of aging policy.
- Six Conflict Resolution Students Present Their Final Research Projects
Soon-to-be McCormack School graduates shared their capstone and thesis research with fellow students and faculty at recent event.
- Collins Center Delivers Municipal Supervisory and Leadership Development Program
Collins staff provided the Massachusetts Municipal Personnel Association with a six-session on effective supervision.
- McCormack Graduate School Welcomes New Dean This Summer
Former Commissioner of the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection David Cash, PhD joins UMass Boston on July 27.
- McCormack Dean Promoted to Vice Provost at UMass Boston
Congratulations to Ira A. Jackson who moves to the Provost's Office to work on economic planning and special projects.
- Conflict Resolution Convocation Award Recipient
Maha Thaher, a Fulbright scholar from Palestine, wins the 2015 Convocation award.
- International Relations Student Earns Two Awards
Charlotte Carnehl has distinguished herself as an outstanding thinker and analyst across issues and modes of analysis, as evidenced by her almost perfect GPA.
- Gary Siperstein Named Professor Emeritus of Public Policy and Public Affairs
After 40 years of service at CPCS and the McCormack Graduate School, Chancellor Motley honors Gary Siperstein with professor emeritus title.
- Department of Gerontology Welcomes New Faculty Member
Jennifer Gaudet Hefele, an expert in nursing home compare, will start in September at the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies.
- McCormack Grad School Signs MOU with Yunnan Academy of Social Sciences in China
Collaborative research, exchange programs, and international symposia are among the possible joint activities between the two institutions.
- Urban Research Network Meets at UMass Boston
McCormack Graduate School hosts Collaborative Research for Equity and Education conference.
- Two McCormack Graduate Students Earn 2015 Beacon Student Leadership Awards
Parfait Gasana and Wade Cedar set up an English-language children's reading room in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Collins Center for Public Management Sees Growing Need for Executive Recruitment Services
Center staff have assisted in over 40 executive level searches for municipalities and public sector organizations-and the numbers are growing.
- McCormack’s Public Policy Doctoral Student Awarded International Fellowship
Kudos to Ana Maria Sanchez Rodriguez who earned an Inter-American Foundation Grassroots Development Field Research Fellowship.
- Three McCormack Professors Receive Internal Grants to Support Research and Service Projects
The Vice Provost of Research has awarded grants to fund timely and impactful initiatives by Karen Ross, Ann Bookman, and Jan Mutchler.
- UN Assistant Secretary-General Elliott Harris Discusses Environmental Leadership at UMass Boston
McCormack Grad School's Center for Governance and Sustainability celebrated Earth Day with a lecture on environmental leadership.
- UMass Boston Professor Maria Ivanova Named Andrew Carnegie Fellow
Associate Professor of Conflict Resolution, Human Security, and Global Governance Maria Ivanova is one of 32 recipients, out of 301 nominees, to receive a $200,000 grant as part of the inaugural class of Andrew Carnegie Fellows supported by Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- William Julius Wilson Delivers Major Talk on Race and Class at UMass Boston’s McCormack Grad School
Renowned urban sociologist revisits his controversial 1978 book, The Declining Signifiance of Race
- UMass Boston Professor Earns Guggenheim, College Board Fellowships to Study Educational Justice
Associate Professor of Public Policy and Public Affairs Mark Warren was one of only 13 social scientists to receive the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship this year.
- Environmental Leadership Across Scales and Geographies: A Perspective from the United Nations
Join us Earth Day lecture by Elliott Harris, assistant secretary-general and director of the New York Office of the UN Environment Programme.
- CANCELED: Lifecycle Events and Their Consequences: Job Loss, Family Change, and Declines in Health
Join us for this Public Policy and Public Affairs research seminar featuring Kenneth Couch, a UConn economics professor.
- Economists Call for Greater Investment in Paid Caregivers at CWPPP Forum at State House
Leading economists and policy experts called for increased investment in the tens of thousands of mostly women eldercare and childcare workers at a forum organized by CWPPP at the State House on April 6, speaking to a standing room only, panelist argue that workers are undervalued and underpaid
- When Nurses are Also Patients: McCormack Team Researches Intimate Partner Violence in South Africa
McCormack Graduate School Global Governance faculty and students collaborate to publish new journal article.
- McCormack’s Professor Morel Visits White House to Discuss Dominican Affairs
Domingo Morel joined over 200 leaders to to discuss immigration, education, trade, and workforce development.
- Careers in Aging
Join us for the annual Careers in Aging event featuring three UMass Boston alumni discussing their career paths.
- McCormack Prof Earns Prestigious DuBois Fellowship to Study the Education of Young Men of Color
Kudos to Public Policy Professor Mark Warren who will study the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Peace in Northern Ireland: Dream or Reality?
Professor Breen-Smyth will present a contemporary assessment of the status of the settlement in Northern Ireland in the context of stalemate in the Assembly and continuing spoiler violence
- Gerontology Institute’s Newest Healthy Aging Report Shows Education, Income Affect Health
On Wednesday, the Tufts Health Plan Foundation released the second part of the Gerontology Institute-produced Massachusetts Healthy Aging Data Report.
- Gender, Leadership, and Public Policy Graduate Certificate Information Session and Alumnae Panel
Can you see yourself leading change? If so, you are invited to attend an information session on the Gender, Leadership and Public Policy graduate certificate program on March 25.
- UMass Boston Study Documents Destructive Conflict in Local Communities
MA Office of Public Collaboration study concludes that more training and resources are needed.
- Wood Lecture: Reflections on Issues of Race and Class in the 21st Century
Professor William Julius Wilson revisits his controversial book The Declining Significance of Race (1978)
- Students Discuss Privilege, Inclusion, Inequalities at Social Justice Conference
The Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement hosted the first annual Social Justice Conference at UMass Boston.
- Valuing Women’s Paid Care Work: From Research to Public Policy in Massachusetts
The Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy is pleased to host its 33rd Women’s Research Forum.
- Master of Public Administration: Celebrating Our Excellence Then and Now
Join Graduate Program Director Amy Smith and the faculty of the Master of Public Administration program to learn about our innovative work and to celebrate another year of academic excellence.
- The 2015 Slomoff Symposium: Restorative Justice In Our Communities Event
Join us for this McCormack Grad School symposium on restorative justice featuring leading Boston activist and author, Michael Patrick MacDonald.
- Bestselling Author and Activist Michael Patrick MacDonald Teaching at UMass Boston
Author of Acclaimed “All Souls” Leading Two Classes As Writer-in-Residence
- Center for Social Policy Heads Research to Get MA Homeless “On Solid Ground”
McCormack research team suggests policies to reduce homelessness and improve family financial security.
- Growing Fulbright Community at the McCormack Graduate School
Six Fulbright students join the Department of Conflict Resolution, Human Security and Global Governance.
- Peacebuilding Educator Joins McCormack’s Conflict Resolution Program
Karen Ross focuses on conflict resolution and peacebuilding in Israel and Palestine.
- Ecuador Summer Abroad Open House
The College of Advancing and Professional Studies invites you to learn about the new Conflict Transformation Across Borders program, which will take place in Ecuador this June.
- UMass Boston Wins Role as Team Partner in Global Resilience Challenge
Rockfeller Foundation and USAID choose Center for Governance and Sustainability to research solutions to climate change.
- International Women’s Day Celebration: A Conversation with Sheila Katzman
Why hasn't the U.S. ratified the U.N. Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women?
- McCormack PhD Student Receives Prestigious Research Fellowship for Work on Climate Change Adaptation
Ethiopian student will bring new academic insights about how policy and practice communities interact across various levels of governance.
- Public Affairs Changes Name and Degree to Master of Public Administration
McCormack Graduate School changes the name of its award-winning public affairs program to better reflect course content.
- New Study Documents Destructive Conflict in Local Communities, Calls for Training and Resources
New conflict resolution needs assessment finds destructive public conflict is causing dysfunction and harm in local governments and communities.
- Guest lecture: Comparative Global Public Administration
Join the McCormack Graduate School's Department of Public Policy & Public Affairs for a talk by Professor Frank Ohemeng, University of Ottawa.
- Age-Friendly Boston
McCormack Grad School's Gerontology Institute joins Boston's Mayor's Office and AARP wants to make city government accessible, transparent, and inclusive for our seniors.
- Dorchester Residents Enjoy the Richness of OLLI’s Offerings at UMass Boston
Seniors from Dorchester both facilitate and enroll in lifelong learning courses offered by the Gerontology Institute's OLLI Program.
- Guest lecture: Gender, Security, and Development in the Maoist Conflict in India
Join the Department of Conflict Resolution, Human Security and Global Governance for a special lecture by Swati Parashar
- UMass Boston Professor Joins International Election Observation Delegation to Nigeria
Darren Kew will observe the presidential elections to enhance voter confidence and to show solidarity with the people of Nigeria.
- Guest Lecture: “Measuring the Performance of E-Governance: A Stage Model Approach”
Join us for this McCormack Graduate School special event.
- Professor Jeffrey Pugh: Conflict Transformation Across Borders
New McCormack Grad School professor brings innovative summer program in Ecuador to UMass Boston students.
- UMass Boston Rated in Nation’s Top 30 Innovative Public Service Schools
Student to faculty-ratios, innovative academic programs, and quality internships and career services helped McCormack Grad School propel UMass Boston to the top 30 on the list.
- Harbor Gallery Presents: “A World of Questions”
On exhibit from February 2 through March 12, "A World of Questions" features the work of award-winning Zimbabwean designer Chaz Maviyane-Davies, who asks the viewer to engage with important issues like the environment and the economy.
- Cambridge Scholars Publishing Showcases CRSCAD Series as Feature Books
Rebuilding Sustainable Communities after Disasters book series selected for inaugural feature in publisher's advertising campaign.
- Two New Senior Fellows Join the Center for Peace, Democracy, and Development
Andrew Tarsy and Malcolm Russell-Einhorn will help the McCormack Graduate School center continue its organizational and grant development projects.
- UMass Boston Policy Professor Calls for an Educational Justice Movement
Mark R. Warren calls the need for educational justice the civil rights issue of today.
- CANCELLED Interpreting Numbers: Qualitative Analysis of Quantitative Data
CANCELLED: Professor Deborah Stone is ill and this event will be rescheduled for the fall.
- May 2015: McCormack Graduate School Community Gathering
Please join Dean Ira A. Jackson and college faculty, staff, students, and friends for lunch
- April 2015: McCormack Graduate School Community Gathering
Please join Dean Ira A. Jackson and college faculty, staff, students, and friends for breakfast
- March 2015: McCormack Graduate School Community Gathering
Please join Dean Ira A. Jackson and college faculty, staff, students, and friends for supper
- Massachusetts Office of Public Collaboration Briefs Legislators on Community Mediation Centers
On Wednesday, January 14, at noon in Room 222 of the State House, staff from the Massachusetts Office of Public Collaboration at UMass Boston’s McCormack Graduate School will present the results of its annual report and evaluation on its state-funded Community Mediation Center Grant Program.
- MA Office of Public Collaboration Joins the McCormack Grad School
Dean Ira A. Jackson welcomes MOPC as its newest center at the McCormack Graduate School.
- The Role of Art in Conflict Resolution: March Colloquium
Please join us for the next event in the McCormack Grad School's Conflict Resolution Colloquium Series.
- February 2015: McCormack Graduate School Community Gathering
Please join Dean Ira A. Jackson and college faculty, staff, students, and friends for breakfast.
- Faculty/Student Team Organizes Global Investment and Governance Conference
McCormack Grad School research team plans a two-day conference on economic diversification and development of Africa’s resources.
- Ellen Birchander Assumes Helm of Management of Aging Services Program
Birchander changes her role from co-director to graduate program director of this award-winning, online program at UMass Boston.
- UMass Boston Research Team Assesses Implementation of Global Environmental Treaties
McCormack Grad School faculty and doctoral student evaluate global treaties' implementation.
- Collins Center Develops Toolkit to Improve Public Management
This online tool helps managers determine goals, actions, and measures to ensure efficient government.
- A New Year Networking Night
Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy celebrates the new year with an evening of networking and good conversation.
- Older Driver Safety Summit: Planning a Safe and Mobile Future for Massachusetts
This event is designed to create a five-year plan to reduce crashes and improve older driver safe mobility across the Commonwealth.
- Ethiopian Grad Student Works to Decrease Hazardous Mercury Levels in Africa
Wondwossen S. Wondemagegnehu is working to protect human health and the environment from the adverse effects of mercury.
- New Leadership at Center for Social Policy
Arthur MacEwan takes on interim position as search committee seeks to replace Director Donna Haig Friedman
- UMass Boston Research Assistant Plans Local World AIDS Day Event
Julia Tripp designed the local event, invited roundtable participants, raised funds, and auditioned actors for the play she wrote.
- Center for Social Policy Co-Hosts Conference on Poverty in Massachusetts
The symposium examined current economic trends, causes of poverty and inequality, and strategies that have helped millions of poor people.
- UMass Boston Classmates Earn Diversity and Inclusion Award for Setting Up Rwanda Children’s Library
International relations students Parfait Gasana and Wade Cedar won a 2014 DANDI award on December 1.
- Panel on Public Officials’ Compensation Presents Report to Public, Legislature, and Governor
Commission recommends numerous reforms, salary increases for constitutional officers and legislative leaders
- Post-Disaster Reconstruction Expert Delivers Major Papers at International Symposia in S. America
McCormack Grad School's Adenrele Awotona presents his research in Chile and Colombia.
- UMass Boston’s International Peace Conference Releases List of Four Dozen Pledges
Moakley Chair for Peace and Reconciliation Padraig O'Malley announces post-conference pledges from divided cities.
- UMass Boston Alumna: Emerging Leader, Lifelong Learner, Volunteer Extraordinaire
Meet Nulise François and discover how she has put her UMass Boston degrees and graduate certificates to good work.
- Six McCormack Grad School Colleagues Honored for Years of Service
Marking anniversaries of ten to fifty years of service, the university honors six McCormack staffers.
- Medeiros Promoted to Pension Action Center Director
McCormack Graduate School annouces Jeanne Medeiros’ new role at Gerontology Institute
- UMass Boston Student Attends UN Climate Summit with Her Faculty Mentor
Natalia Escobar-Pemberthy had the educational opportunity of a lifetime.
- International Workshop On Preventing Electoral Violence
A specialized training course for mediators from faith based organizations and peace practitioners
- Fall 2014 Gerontology Seminar Series: UMass Boston Internal Review Board
McCormack Graduate School faculty are invited to this guest lecture by Kristen Kenny.
- Telecommunications Pioneer Funds Non-violence and Peace Projects at UMass Boston
Sid Topol, a pioneer in the field of wireless communication, will fund the new Topol Peace Data Initiative at UMass Boston’s Center for Peace, Democracy, and Development (CPDD).
- Counterterrorism Experts Converge at UMass Boston for International Conference
McCormack Graduate School and Joiner Center co-host international conference on collaboration and communication for counter-terrorism.
- UMass Boston Conference will Challenge Gap in Latina Political Leadership
The LatinasRepresent Boston conference will address the underrepresentation of Latinas at all levels of government, support aspiring Latina candidates and their allies, and propel action in Massachusetts and the region to increase the number of Latinas in public leadership positions.
- Public Affairs Alumna Earns Student Manuscript of Year Award from National Organization
The Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration (NASPAA) selected Maureen Thomas, ' 14 as co-winner of the 2014 Pi Alpha Alpha Master’s Student Manuscript of the Year award
- Youth Power and Leadership in the Boston Youth Justice Movement, 2005 – 2008
Join us for this research seminar presented by the Department of Public Policy and Public Affairs