- Six-Term Senator Pat McGovern Calls for More Women to Run for Public Office
The Honorable Patricia McGovern discusses her career in public service, battles against sexism, and women’s leadership.
- ELP January Networking Social
Join the UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program Alumni Board at the monthly Networking Social for the opportunity to gather with your ELP colleagues.
- Building a Better Boston Award Breakfast Honoring Mel King
New Date: February 24! Join us to recognize legendary community activist Mel King at the Fifth Annual Building a Better Boston Award Ceremony.
- Finding Stephen Roger: One Person’s Reinvention Story
Here is a story about one UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program alum who, after a layoff, took the time to reinvent himself and pursue a career that aligned with his passions and values.
- ELP Cares: Lead for Those in Need
The ELP Cares: Lead for Those in Need movement is a vital and gratifying component of a true leadership experience.
- Rebel at Work: Marlo Fogelman
Marlo Fogelman setting a standard for helping employees alleviate the stresses of the modern-day workplace.
- Master Class: Be the Change Maker
Learn how to lead change in your organization. This full-day workshop focuses on how to navigate organizational politics, communicate new ideas, build support and accomplish meaningful goals.
- Master Class: Career Growth Action Plan for 2017
It’s time to transform career development into a more fluid and adaptive process, using entrepreneurial strategies for success.
- Master Class: Leading Positive Change
Build your unique leadership strengths and learn the essential approaches, tools and first steps for leading positive change in your organization.
- Online Training Session: Are You Ready for the Reinvention Revolution?
Join us for an Online Training Session for a provocative interactive session about transition and the opportunity for professional and personal reinvention.
- Online Training Session: Free Your Rebel Thinkers
Join us for an Online Training Session to learn the value of your rebels as well as how to manage rebels so that they’re able to help your organization grow.
- Online Training Session: What’s Holding YOU Back in Business?
Join us for an Online Training Session to learn how to get unstuck, get laser-focused and create an action plan for success. Make this a year of action.
- Community of Leaders Serves as Teachers for Honors College Students
Eleven students in the Becoming a Leader class have spent the spring semester gaining leadership lessons from an impressive roster of CEOs, politicians, nonprofit chiefs, and entrepreneurs.
- UMass Boston Sophomore Named One of Top Student Leaders in Country
Sophomore psychology major Joel Colon is one of 218 student leaders nationwide to receive the 2016 Campus Compact Newman Civic Fellows Award.
- Peace Corps Information Session
Come and learn how you can make a difference through the Peace Corps!
- Benchmarking, Brokering, and Branding: Resources for Success Across Sectors | ELP Team Projects
The 2016 ELP fellows worked in teams with various stakeholders to produce high impact outcomes to benefit the greater Boston area. Join them June 22nd to hear the results of the projects.
- Changing the Face of Leadership Lunch
Annual leadership lunch celebrating the 2016 Emerging Leaders Program fellows and featuring UMass system president Marty Meehan.
- Nominate Students for 2016 Beacon Leadership Awards
Nominations are being accepted through March 4 for the annual Beacon Leadership Awards, which will be given out on Tuesday, May 3 at 5 p.m. in the Campus Center Ballroom.
- UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program Alum Setting the Stage for Winter’s Landing
ELP alum Chris Sinclair's vision for Winter's Landing is to turn City Hall Plaza into the centerpiece for arts, entertainment, and winter programming in the City of Boston.
- Brain Science and Leadership
Dive into cutting edge information about neuroscience and learn to focus your attention and energy to maximize your productivity, capacity, leadership effectiveness and impact.
- Rapid Strategy Development: Moving from SWOT to SOAR
People commit to what they help create. Learn how to engage your workforce in ways that create a bold future vision, inspired action, commitment, and follow through.
- GLPP Alumna Advances Diversity and Equality in the Private Sector
Janine Ting Jansen works to make equity and diversity a reality.
- UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program Alumna Helps Women Navigate Transition
Linda Rossetti came to realize that she spent 20 years building a career trajectory towards a path that for her, didn’t hold depth. She knew another change was not the answer, and embarked on the process of transition. She left her job and decided to write a book on transition.
- Info Session: NEW Gender, Leadership and Public Policy MPA
The McCormack Graduate School for Policy and Global Studies are now offering two options for studying gender and policy!
- A Conversation With Stacy Malone About Victims’ Rights
GLPP Alumna Stacy Malone, Class of 2007, is executive director of the Victim Rights Law Center. Her career trajectory began with her State House internship while a student in UMass Boston’s Gender, Leadership and Public Policy graduate certificate program.
- Case Study: Using Appreciative Inquiry to Enable Urban Renewal, Economic and Workforce Redevelopment
The Center for Collaborative Leadership understands that executives lead busy lives. That is why we developed an online training series. This academic year, we will focus on Appreciative Inquiry.
- An Appreciative Inquiry Approach to Resolving Conflict
The Center for Collaborative Leadership understands that executives lead busy lives. That is why we developed an Online Training Series. This academic year, we will focus on Appreciative Inquiry.
- Employer Information Session with City Year
Come and learn how working with City Year can help pay your tuition.
- Employer Information Session with City Year
Come and learn how working with City Year can help pay your tuition.
- UMass Boston Emerging Leaders Program Alumnus Making a Difference in Recovery Treatment
Ken Weber, a Falmouth resident and a 2002 graduate of the University of Massachusetts Boston’s Emerging Leaders Program leveraged his executive education and management skills to take a leap of faith to follow his path of wanting to help others.
- Leading the Way Award Winner Credits a Beacon and a Compass
The Center for Collaborative Leadership honored UMass Boston's Philip J. Carver, an Emerging Leaders Program alumnus from the class of 2006, with the third annual Leading the Way award.
- Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy 20th Anniversary Celebration
Building the Political Pipeline for Women’s Leadership: Looking Forward to the Next 20 Years.
- Ramona Peters (Mashpee Wampanoag) Speaks at UMass Boston
Ramona Peters, the Tribal Preservation Officer & NAGPRA director at Mashpee, spoke about her work
- Two McCormack Graduate Students Earn 2015 Beacon Student Leadership Awards
Parfait Gasana and Wade Cedar set up an English-language children's reading room in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Environmental Leadership Across Scales and Geographies: A Perspective from the United Nations
Join us Earth Day lecture by Elliott Harris, assistant secretary-general and director of the New York Office of the UN Environment Programme.
- Forum: Advancing Diversity and Inclusion in Executive Leadership Panel Discussion
Join the College of Public and Community Service for this important presentation and discussion about advancing inclusion in executive leadership
- What’s Your Next Move? Dance Floor Theory Leadership Workshop
Join this leadership workshop and find out why all the people in the center of the dance floor are having all the fun!
- Orientation Leader Information Sessions
Learn about one of the top leadership positions on campus!
- Latino Leadership Initiative Prepares UMass Boston Students for Expanded Roles
Three members of the University of Massachusetts Boston’s Class of 2015 spent part of this summer strengthening their leadership skills at the fifth annual Latino Leadership Initiative.
- McCormack Graduate School Assembles Impressive Leadership Council to Help Shape Its Future
Our new Leadership Council is a group of civically minded thought leaders who understand and value the mission of the graduate school.
- Mogul, Mom & Maid: A Panel Discussion
Liz O’Donnell, author of Mogul, Mom & Maid: The Balancing Act of the Modern Woman, will speak at this Center for Collaborative Leadership event about choices women are making.
- 2nd Annual Building a Better Boston Award Ceremony
UMass Boston's Center for Collaborative Leadership will present Richard E. Holbrook, chairman and CEO of Eastern Bank, with the Building a Better Boston Award. Breakfast is included in the ticket.
- Share Our Strength CEO Shares Leadership Lessons at UMass Boston
Bill Shore spoke as part of the McCormack Leadership Series sponsored by McCormack Grad School.
- UMass Boston’s McCormack Grad School Kicks Off New Leadership Lecture Series
McCormack Grad School hosts local and global thought leaders in politics, education, public service, the nonprofit sector, and business community.
- Project Serve Volunteer Opportunity: Plan for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk
Join Project Serve, part of UMass Boston's Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement, and prep for the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event.
- McCormack Leadership Series: When Good is Not Good Enough
Join us on November 4 for this McCormack Grad School lecture by Bill Shore, CEO of Share Our Strength
- Don West’s “Portraits of Purpose: A Tribute to Leadership”
On exhibit in the Harbor Gallery through September 27, Don West's "Portraits of Purpose: A Tribute to Leadership" pays tribute to leaders that made their mark locally.
- Orientation Leader Information Session
Are you fired up about UMass Boston? This is your last chance to get information about applying to become an orientation leader.
- UMass Boston Alumni Mark 20th Anniversary of Higher Ed EdD Program
On Thursday, June 20, the Higher Education Administration Doctoral Program kicked off its 20th anniversary with a panel discussion, reception, and dinner in UMass Boston’s Campus Center Ballroom.
- UMass Boston Fellows Take Honed Leadership Skills Back to Public, Private Sectors
When you think of the Girl Scouts, you probably think of cookies. Geoff Phillips and the other fellows in his Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) group have spent the last nine months making sure users’ experiences with the Girl Scouts’ website is equally as satisfying.
- Leadership in Sports: Boston Celtics Captain Paul Pierce Speaks on Campus
The Undergraduate Student Government and the Division of Athletics and Recreation, Special Projects and Programs is bringing Paul Pierce to campus as part of the Leadership in Sports series.
- Celtics Captain Paul Pierce to Speak on Campus Thursday
Boston Celtics captain Paul Pierce is coming to UMass Boston on Thursday to speak to students about leadership in sports. He will be joined by Tara Mardigan, a nutritionist for the Boston Red Sox, and Bob Ryan, a columnist emeritus at The Boston Globe.
- Emerging Leaders Offer Solutions to Businesses, Nonprofits
The 2012 fellows in the Center for Collaborative Leadership’s Emerging Leaders Program focused on communications efforts for their community partners.
- UMass Boston Students to Expand Leadership Skills at Conference
Five University of Massachusetts Boston students will begin a weeklong intensive leadership program on Saturday.
- Conflict Resolution Student Jillian Furman Earns Student Leadership Award
Master's degree candidate earns Beacon Leadership Award
- Sisters Rising
Asian American Women Leaders in the Community; Trailblazers share stories of their experiences as community leaders.
- The Political Leadership of Women of Color: What’s Research Got to Do with It?
Join in a conversation with community leaders engaged in research about the advancement of women of color in politics.
- Student Leadership Conference: Accidental Leadership: The Evolution of You
The Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement's interactive conference will help you discover your leadership style and provide tools to be the leader already within you.
- Hardy-Fanta Interviews America Ferrera at Women’s Leadership Initiative Event
Award-winning actress discusses how race and class have affected her career and level of success
- Dialogue & Discussion Series: Cultural Mythbusters
Is our impression of cultural oppression accurate? Listen to first-hand experiences followed by facilitated discussion. The Women's Leadership Initiative is sponsoring this event.
- Dialogue & Discussion Series: Motherhood: A Balancing Act
The Women's Leadership Initiative is sponsoring a facilitated discussion aimed at de-stigmatizing motherhood on the college campus.
- Dialogue & Discussion Series: Women’s Leadership Symposium
The Women's Leadership Initiative is sponsoring a symposium featuring speakers discussing women and empowerment.
- Dialogue & Discussion Series: Women & Media
The Women's Leadership Initiative, part of the Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement, is sponsoring a screening of the documentary Miss Representation.
- Women’s Leadership Initiative Kick off Featuring America Ferrera
Join Ugly Betty star America Ferrera as she discusses how race and class have affected her career and level of success.
- Chancellor Motley Named to BBJ’s Power 50 List of Area Influencers
University of Massachusetts Boston Chancellor J. Keith Motley has been named to the Boston Business Journal first Power 50 list of the region's most influential businesspeople in 2011. The members of the 2011 Power 50 will be recognized in a special supplement in the BBJ in October.
- Lillian Glickman Receives Frank J. Manning Leadership Award
The Massachusetts Association of Older Americans, Inc. will be honoring Lillian Glickman, co-director of the Gerontology Management of Aging Services Program at their Annual Meeting on October 21st with the Frank J. Manning Leadership Award.
- Center for Collaborative Leadership Founding Director to Earn Achievement Award
The Boston Business Journal is honoring Sherry Penney with a lifetime achievement award at its Leaders in Diversity event.
- Alumni Association’s $1 Million Gift Will Support Students, Cultivate Philanthropy
UMass Boston is receiving an unprecedented gift from its alumni: a commitment of $1 million to be used for scholarships, programs, and initiatives.
- UMass Boston Students Selected for Latino Leadership Initiative
Four University of Massachusetts Boston students have been selected to participate in the second annual Latino Leadership Initiative.
- National Council for Research on Women Honors the Center for Women in Politics & Public Policy
The National Council for Research on Women has presented its 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award to the Center for Women in Politics & Public Policy.
- Dr. Muriel Howard to Deliver 2011 UMass Boston Commencement Address
Dr. Muriel Howard, president of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, will deliver the principal address for Commencement 2011.
- UMass Boston Honors SBLI President & CEO Robert Sheridan
Robert Sheridan was honored with the Chancellor's Medal for Exemplary Leadership, the university's highest honor, at its seventh annual Scholarship Gala.
- UMass Boston Honors Robert Sheridan at Scholarship Gala
UMass Boston honored Robert K. Sheridan, president and CEO of Savings Bank Life Insurance, with the Chancellor's Medal for Exemplary Leadership at its Scholarship Gala.
- IDEAS Boston Moves to UMass Boston
The annual forum that brings leading-edge thinkers and innovators together is scheduled for Oct. 20 at its new, permanent home at the UMass Boston.
- UMass Boston Study Takes In-Depth Look at Midwifery Workforce in Massachusetts
A Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy report shows the number of nurse-midwife-attended births more than doubled between 1990 and 2008 in Massachusetts.
- UMass Boston Students Provide Organizational Structure to One of Boston’s Best Known Nonprofits
Professor Stephanie Hartwell's Foundations of Applied Sociology class are conducting a year-long program evaluation of one of the city’s best known nonprofits: the Louis D. Brown Peace Institute, based in Dorchester.
- Luncheon Celebrates Faculty Success in Research, Innovation, Scholarship, and Creativity
More than 200 faculty, researchers, staff, and students attended a lunch which celebrated faculty success in research, innovation, and creativity.
- UMass Boston Women’s Volleyball Captures Second Consecutive LEC Championship
The UMass Boston women’s volleyball team defeated Keene State College, 3-1, to capture the 2010 Little East Conference Championship.
- UMass Boston’s McCormack Graduate School of Policy Studies Undergoes Name Change
The John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy Studies has changed its name to the John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies.
- Chancellor Appoints University’s Board of Visitors
Chancellor Motley hand-picked local and national leaders from the for-profit, nonprofit, and private and public sectors to serve on the Board of Visitors.