- School for the Environment Professor Elected ASLO Fellow
UMass Boston Professor Bob Chen has been elected as a fellow in the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO).
- UMass Boston Scientist Studies “Rockstars of Ocean Resilience”
A new paper reveals changes to kelp forests around the world.
- UMass Boston PhD Student Earns Fellowship to Study Gulf Coast Resilience
Debra Butler will examine how communities handle "shocks."
- Ocean Science: The Final, Final Frontier
In a new report, Professor Bob Chen and his colleagues present some unorthodox suggestions for how scientists and educators could increase the public’s understanding of the ocean’s impact on everyday life.
- UMass Boston and New England Aquarium Partnership Strengthens Research Efforts
UMass Boston and the New England Aquarium launched a first-of-its-kind partnership recently to encourage even stronger research collaborations between the two institutions.
- UMass Boston Ocean Experts Urge Priority Action on Coastal Protection
UMass Boston's Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security has released a white paper with recommendations to deal with the effects of global climate change on the world’s oceans and human and national security.
- Global Oceans Conference: More Education, Involvement Needed
Attendees at the first Global Conference on Oceans, Climate and Security (GC '12) say more education about climate change is needed, the private sector needs to be involved in the conversation, and lessons could be learned from the military.
- Secretary of Navy Receives Energy & Environmental Safety Award at UMass Boston
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick presented Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus with the Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security’s Energy & Environmental Safety Award Tuesday.
- Second Day of Global Oceans Conference Highlights Disaster Concerns
Scientists, military and civilian policymakers, and thought leaders are taking part in this first-of-its kind conference at the UMass Boston.
- Group of Policymakers, Scientists, Thought Leaders Converge to Discuss Effects of Climate Change
GC '12 will focus on three specific themes examining the overall problem of climate change from different perspectives with a unified goal of understanding how to mitigate the effects that we can control and adapt to those that we cannot.
- ‘Oceans Day at Durban’ Highlights Urgent Need for Action
The Global Ocean Forum and the South African Government Department of Environmental Affairs, along with others, hosted Oceans Day at Durban on December 3, 2011.
- CIOCS Achieves IOI-USA Focal Point Status
International Ocean Institute names CIOCS as a “satellite” office—or Focal Point-- of IOI-USA
- UMass Boston Launches the Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security
UMass Boston's new Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security will work toward addressing the challenges of climate change, altered coastal oceans, and security needs.