- Watermark Staff Unveil 50th Anniversary Issue of Literary Journal
The staff of UMass Boston’s student literary journal, The Watermark, handed out free copies of a volume 46 years in the making on Thursday.
- The Watermark Release Party
The Watermark: A Chronicle of UMass Boston Student Art and Literature 1969 - 2014, Volume 23, is a collection of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art dating back to 1969.
- Poetry in 140 Characters in Second Annual Twitter Contest
The winners of the creative writing programs-sponsored Twitter Poetry Contest had to contend with Twitter’s strict character limit.
- 2015 Twitter Poetry Contest Entry Deadline
Submit a poem of exactly 140 characters (including spaces) and win $100. Sponsored by the Creative Writing and MFA programs. Deadline: February 27, 2015 at 5 p.m.
- Twitter Poetry Contest Returns; Win Up to $100 in Gift Cards
UMass Boston undergraduates have until Friday, February 27 to submit up to three poems, using exactly 140 characters.
- Poet, Novelist, and Art Journalist Eileen Myles ‘71 Reads from Her Work
Eileen Myles has been called “one of the most restless minds in contemporary lit.” She'll read from her work at this event sponsored by the Office of University Advancement and Alumni Relations.
- UMass Boston Poet Jill McDonough Wins Lannan Fellowship
Director of creative writing MFA program receives prestigious award.
- UMass Boston Writers Community Presents: Spring 2014 Undergraduate Poetry Reading
This event is the first of its kind in what the UMass Boston Writers Community hopes will become a series of undergraduate student performances.
- UMass Boston Student Writers Show Their Might/In Twitter Poetry Contest, Where Words Take Flight
Writers never know where a great idea will come from. Amy Gaeta found her inspiration in the freezer—a package of pork chops with a handwritten note attached.
- Twitter Poetry Contest
Submit a poem of exactly 140 characters (including spaces) and win $100. Sponsored by the Creative Writing Program. Deadline: February 21, 2014
- 6 Word Story Contest
UMass Boston's Creative Writing Program invites you to participate in a 6-word story contest. The winner receives $100. The top 20 entries will be read November 20. Submission deadline: October 29
- Global Voices Reading Series and Academy of American Poets Prize—Sandra Lim
The Student Senate and Creative Writing Program brings Academy of American Poets Prize judge Sandra Lim to campus to read from her work and present the Academy of American Poets Prize.
- Poetry Reading: Lloyd Schwartz’s Poem Selected for Pinsky’s The Best of the Best American Poetry
Frederick S. Troy Professor of English Lloyd Schwartz will be reading his poem that was selected for The Best of the Best American Poetry, guest edited by Poet Laureate Robert Pinksy.
- Trova y Repentismo en Décima
Attend a workshop with two world class singer-songwriters, Jose Yeray Rodriguez and Omar Santiago, who will improvise décimas and aguinaldos, ancient poetic art forms from Spain and Puerto Rico.
- Spring 2012 Global Voices Reading Series
Readings featuring E.C. Osondu, Gail Mazur, Martha Collins, Charles Bock, and more
- Afaa Michael Weaver reads as part of the Global Voices Reading Series
Poet Afaa Michael Weaver reads from his work
- 2011 Global Voices Reading Series
2011 Global Voices Reading Series
- William Joiner Center Director Receives Award in Vietnam
Kevin Bowen, the director of the William Joiner Center for the Study of War and Social Consequences, traveled to Vietnam to receive the Phan Chau Trinh Award.
- Pulitzer Prize Winner Lloyd Schwartz Continues to Inspire
Even after winning a Pulitzer Prize, Frederick S. Troy Professor of English Lloyd Schwartz continues to inspire his UMass Boston students.