- Sustainable Solutions Lab Fall 2017 Semester Roundup
The Sustainable Solutions Lab hosted and participated in a number of sustainability activities during the Fall 2017 semester.
- Biology Dimensions of Sustainability Winter Symposium 2017
The Biology Department at UMass Boston presents the Dimensions of Sustainability Winter Symposium 2017, titled Salt Marshes Under Stress: Current Trends, Future Scenarios.
- Environmentally Responsible: University Hall Earns LEED Gold Status
The University of Massachusetts Boston is now home to two LEED Gold-certified buildings. University Hall has joined the Integrated Sciences Complex in receiving high marks for environmental responsibility.
- State Honors UMass Boston with Highest Award for Eco-Friendly Commuting
For the first time Wednesday, UMass Boston received a Pinnacle Award at the annual Excellence in Commuter Options (ECO) Awards at Fenway Park. Green transit options and incentives include eco-friendly free shuttle buses, the Hubway bike sharing program, the HarborWalk, and motorbike parking.
- UMass Boston Part of Princeton Review’s Green Colleges Guide for Seventh Time
While the UMass Boston campus is decked out in reds and oranges this time of year, it’s green year-round no matter the weather thanks to ongoing environmental efforts and a newly LEED Gold-certified Integrated Sciences Complex. This caught the attention of The Princeton Review.
- How the Explosive Combination of Sustainability Information with Big Data is Changing Capitalism
Robert K. Massie, executive director of the Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston, will discuss the evolutionary changes that he believes lie in the decades ahead.
- UMass Boston Picks Up Two More Statewide Awards for Green Commuter Options
UMass Boston won both a Leader Award and a Spotlight Award for Leadership in Commuter Options at the sixth annual Excellence in Commuter Options (ECO) Awards at Fenway Park on Tuesday.
- Dimensions of Sustainability: Winter Symposium 2015
William Clark, William Moomaw, Karen Seto, Jianguo Liu, McCormack Graduate School Dean David Cash, and UMass Boston's Kamal Bawa will speak on "Sustainability Science: Roots and Branches."
- Celebrate America Recycles Week at UMass Boston 2015: Explore MassRIDES and NuRide
Explore ride matching, commuter rewards, and emergency ride home programs. Discover the benefits and save money.
- Celebrate America Recycles Week 2015: Free Screening of YERT (Your Environmental Road Trip)
UMass Boston's Recycling and Sustainability Office presents a free screening of YERT (Your Environmental Road Trip). Recyclers can win compost buckets, reusable cups, green guides, and more.
- UMass Boston Earns Major Sustainability Award from Baker Administration
One of Two Higher Ed Institutions to Earn Leading by Example Award
- Just in Time for Earth Day, UMass Boston Named in Green Colleges Guide
UMass Boston has made the Princeton Review’s Green Colleges Guide for the sixth year in a row.
- 2015 UMass Boston Earth Week: Green Transit Information Tables
Visit MassRIDES and Zipcar information tables and explore your sustainable transit/reward options: NuRide, Zipcar, Emergency Ride Home, biking, and more!
- “Hero of the Planet” Peter Raven Delivers Stark Sustainability Message at UMass Boston
Earth is suffering because first-world nations have failed to control their consumption, Raven told a large crowd Tuesday in the Lipke Auditorium.
- Green Careers Forum 2015
Meet with employers about green jobs and internships in the Boston area.
- UMass Boston Announces Biogen Idec - SERC Fellow
College of Management graduate student, Sandeep Gummadi has been awarded the 2014-2015 Biogen Idec – SERC Fellowship.
- UMass Boston Student Attends UN Climate Summit with Her Faculty Mentor
Natalia Escobar-Pemberthy had the educational opportunity of a lifetime.
- UMass Boston Showcases Green ISC at Presidential Summit on Climate Leadership
The three-day 2014 Presidential Summit on Climate Leadership kicked off at the University of Massachusetts Boston this month with an overview of the university’s sustainability efforts in and out of the classroom.
- UMass Boston Announces Biogen Idec - SERC Fellowship
The Center for Sustainable Enterprise and Regional Competitiveness (SERC) at UMass Boston in partnership with Biogen Idec is pleased to announce the Biogen Idec-SERC Fellowship.
- The Princeton Review Highlights UMass Boston’s Green Efforts
For the fifth consecutive year, UMass Boston has made the Princeton Review’s Green Colleges Guide.
- UMass Boston Biologist Bowen Receives Prestigious NSF CAREER Grant
Provides early and clear evidence that the NSF places a very high value on her work for restoring salt marshes and wetlands along coastal regions.
- Marine Science PhD Student Receives Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship
Fellowship provides three years of support for individuals engaged in graduate study leading to a PhD or ScD degree.
- SERC Annual Green Careers Forum
Hear from a panel and meet with employers about green jobs and internships in the Boston area.
- Biologist Michael Rex is Elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
Recognized for pioneering contributions to understanding patterns and causes of biodiversity in the deep sea.
- Professor Maria Ivanova Named to New United Nations Board
The co-director of the Center for Governance and Sustainability is one of 26 members of the new Scientific Advisory Board of the UN Secretary-General
- UMass Boston Professor Appointed to U.N. Scientific Advisory Board
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed Maria Ivanova to the new United Nations Scientific Advisory Board.
- Celebrating the Life and Work of Nobel Peace Laureate, Wangari Maathai
McCormack's Maria Ivanova interviews Maathai's daughter as part of “Africa’s Green Future: Nurturing the Vision of Wangari Maathai” symposium.
- McCormack Grad School Director Briefs Russian Delegation on Emergency Management
At Boston FEMA event, Professor Awotona shares expertise on post-disaster reconstruction with Russian ministers.
- Free Movie Screening with Director of YERT and Earth Day Lunch
The Student Arts and Events Council and the UMass Boston Sustainability Program presents this screening of YERT (Your Environmental Road Trip).
- The Green Careers Forum
The Center for Sustainable Enterprise and Regional Competitiveness's forum will showcase the broad range of career opportunities related to sustainability, the environment and clean energy.
- MASSRIDES and Nuride Green Transit Alternatives Seminar
Explore the latest alternative transit options and sign up for NuRide. Light refreshments will be served.
- MASSRIDES, Nuride, and ZIPCAR are here!
Explore green transit options such as ride-share, carpool, vanpool, and transit reward options.
- E-Waste Collection Drive: Don’t Just Recycle, E-Cycle!
Drop off your small office techno-trash in a marked covered box. Email the Sustainability Program at UMBe.Green@umb.edu for a list of acceptable items.
- UMass Boston Earth Weeks ZIPCAR Green Transit Info Table
Learn about your green transit options!
- Earth Day Symposium
The Biology Department, School for the Environment, and Center for Governance and Sustainability presents "Global Food Security and Biodiversity in the Face of Climate Change."
- From Climate Conflict to Climate Action: Capturing the Greatest Opportunities of Our Generation
Executive Secretary of UN Framework Convention on Climate Change presents annual Slomoff Lecture...also streamed live on day of event.
- Sustainability in the Supply Chain: Risks and Opportunities
The Center for Sustainable Enterprise and Regional Competitiveness's distinguished panel will address a critical set of issues facing companies today.
- UMass Boston Celebrates Campus Sustainability Week
UMass Boston wraps up Campus Sustainability Week with opportunities to learn about green transit alternatives Zipcar and Nuride as well as the global water crisis.
- Preparing Students for a Changing Climate: AASHE Keynote Sustainability Online Broadcast
As part of UMass Boston's Campus Sustainability Week, you are invited to check out this webcast happening on Campus Sustainability Day.
- Internet Cat Video Festival
The Walker Art Center put on an Internet Cat Video Festival in August and ten thousand people showed up. The cat videos will be shown at UMass Boston on October 23.
- Hubway Bike-sharing Station Arrives at UMass Boston
UMass Boston students, faculty, and staff now have another way of getting around campus, after crews installed a Hubway bike-sharing station by the Campus Center last week.
- UMass Boston Sends Group to Rio+20 Sustainability Conference
7 professors, students, and fellows represented UMass Boston at the once-a-decade environmental conference in Rio de Janeiro.
- EEOS Students Bike Toward a More Sustainable Campus
A new student initiative called BUMP!—Bike for University of Massachusetts Power—hopes to use “energy bikes" to produce human-powered electricity.
- UMass Boston Sends Group to Rio+20 Sustainability Conference
7 professors, students, and fellows represented UMass Boston at the once-a-decade environmental conference in Rio de Janeiro in June.
- UMass Boston Researchers Find Himalayas Warming More Rapidly Than the Rest of the Earth
UMass Boston graduate student Uttam Babu Shrestha and Distinguished Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa are published in international journal PLoS One.
- UMass Boston Researcher Donates $200K in Prize Money to Research Think Tank
Distinguished Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa has decided to donate his nearly $200,000 in winnings from the world’s first international sustainability award to the international think tank he founded.
- UMass Boston Researcher Recognized on Global Stage
Kamaljit Bawa, distinguished professor of biology at the University of Massachusetts Boston and faculty fellow at the Center for Governance and Sustainability, received two notable honors this week.
- UMass Boston Wins ECO Award for Its Transportation Options
The University of Massachusetts Boston was recently recognized with a 2012 Massachusetts ECO Award by MassCommute, MassRIDES, and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.
- UMass Boston Researcher to Receive World’s First Major Award for Sustainability Work
The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS) announced today that Kamal Bawa, distinguished professor of biology at the University of Massachusetts Boston, is the recipient of the Gunnerus Sustainability Award, the world’s first major international award for work on sustainability.
- Environmental Film Series: November 18
Celebrate America Recycles Week at UMass Boston
- Celebrate America Recycles Week at UMass Boston: November 17
Visit UMass Boston’s Farmer’s Market Stand Quinn Café 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursdays.
- Environmental Film Series: November 16
Celebrate America Recycles Week at UMass Boston
- America Recycles Day
Take a tour of UMass Boston's first solar installation and learn about recycling and composting
- Celebrate America Recycles Week at UMass Boston: November 14
Help prevent pollution and support sustainable initiatives at UMass Boston this America: Participate in our e-waste collection drive
- UMass Boston Named in Princeton Review’s Top ‘Green Colleges’ Guide for Second Time
For the second year in a row, UMass Boston has been named in The Princeton Review's Guide to 311 Green Colleges for its commitment to sustainability.