- Platelet Biogenesis Expands to the VDC
Platelet Biogenesis bringing exciting new ideas to the Venture Development Center
- Unshackled and Global Entrepreneur-in-Residence Program Partner to Serve Immigrant Entrepreneurs
On Thursday, the Massachusetts Global Entrepreneur-in-Residence (GEIR) program announced a partnership with Unshackled, an investment fund based in Palo Alto, California, backed by 80 of America's most influential investors.
- Venture Development Center Presents: Launch Your Career in Boston’s Innovation Economy
Learn about Boston’s innovation economy, possible career paths that your peers have taken, and how the Entrepreneurial Fellows Program can help you gain entry into the ever-growing innovation economy.
- Global Entrepreneur-in-Residence Program Gets First Corporate Partnership With Silicon Valley Bank
On Thursday, the Massachusetts Global Entrepreneur-in-Residence (GEIR) program announced a major gift from Silicon Valley Bank, its first corporate partner.
- UMass Boston Faculty/Industry Networking Coffee Break
Come interact with industry partners by meeting the innovative companies located in the Venture Development Center.
- MIT Researchers Launch “World-Changing” Idea at the VDC
It might be just what’s needed in a type of cancer treatment that’s just starting to take off, called immunotherapy.
- Cloud Management Startup CloudHealth Technologies Raises $12M
The new investment brings the startup's total funding to $19.7M since March 2013.
- MassTLC 2014 Healthcare Conference at UMass Boston Highlights Local Innovators
The Venture Development Center was the site of the annual conference, and three startups incubating there were part of the conversation.
- Parabase Genomics Completes First Close of Series B Financing, Launches South Boston Lab
UMass Boston’s Venture Development Center incubated the biotech company
- David Lucchino Joins UMass Boston’s Venture Development Center as Entrepreneur in Residence
Founder of Semprus BioSciences is mentoring emerging entrepreneurs
- Overthink Notes Wins Best Student Startup in 4th Business Launch Competition
A software platform that allows students to take notes, collaborate, and prepare for exams more effectively was chosen as the best student startup in this year's annual Business Launch Competition.
- Mayor Walsh Announces Life Science Internship Training Program at UMass Boston
$206,000 will go toward developing an online course for students.
- Venture Development Center Gets Boost from Massachusetts Life Sciences
Nearly $600,000 will go toward capital improvements to the VDC
- VDC Company Receives New Patent for Powerful, Affordable Shared Memory Computers
Symmetric Computing will bring "supercomputing to the masses."
- UMass Boston Minute: David McFarlane on Students and the Innovation Economy
The director of the Entrepreneur Center talks about what it takes to innovate in Boston.
- LuminaCare Joins the Venture Development Center
The company aims to help doctors select the right drug and dosage for MDR infections.
- Big Data, Big Ideas at the Venture Development Center
The VDC hosted a conference for big data scientists on Friday, October 4.
- Venture Development Center Fostered Company Turns Skin Cells Into Stem Cells
In July, Factor Bioscience received the very first patent covering methods for reprogramming cells using RNA.
- Valerion Gets $1.2M Boost for Congenital Muscle Disease Therapy
Valerion Therapeutics, a member of UMass Boston's Venture Development Center, has been working toward a drug that could help infants born with X-linked MTM, a congenital muscle disease that affects muscles used for movement.
- Physics Professor and VDC Company Receive Small Business Innovation Research Grant from NASA
Chandra Yelleswarapu, professor of physics at UMass Boston, will be working with East West Enterprises to develop a specialized microscope that could be used on the International Space Station.
- Five Young High Tech Companies Win $1.5 million in SBIR Grants
Five of six companies that applied received an award, an 83% success rate, compared to a national average of 11.5%.
- Pressure BioSciences Surpasses $2M Financing Goal
The company has raised over $5.3M while at UMass Boston's Venture Development Center.
- Meet Our New EIRs
Venture capitalists Jim Counihan and Michael Gaiss and entrepreneur Dave McFarlane step up as the Venture Development Center's entrepreneurs-in-residence, dedicated to advising our high tech companies.
- DeLeo, Caret, Motley Highlight Cutting-Edge Research at UMass Boston
UMass President, Speaker of Massachusetts House visit Venture Development Center
- Pressure BioSciences Sees Boost in Revenues
Biotech's commercialization plan bearing fruit
- Venture Development Center Innovation Open House for Faculty
The VDC is a dynamic place, and we hope that you will continue to explore what is happening here in life science, high tech and social ventures. Come explore how you can interact with industry.
- SBIR/STTR Grant Workshop
This intensive one-day workshop has been customized specifically for UMass Boston faculty and Venture Development Center partners interested in applying for Small Business Innovation Research grants.
- Innovation Open House: Coffee Break for Faculty
UMass Boston faculty are invited to learn more about university initiatives and startup companies incubating at the Venture Development Center.
- 2011 Highlights at the VDC: $10,984,000 Raised by Companies
$10,984,000 Raised, Average of $1,220,444 per Company
- Second Annual Business Launch Competition Offers $22K in Prizes
This year, the winner of the Business Launch Competition will receive $20,000 in prizes, almost double last year’s prize amount. Applications will be accepted through February 28.
- Irish Entrepreneurs Visit VDC
The cofounder of the fastest-growing business website in Ireland was one of eight Irish entrepreneurs to visit UMass Boston's Venture Development Center.
- Pressure Biosciences Buoyed by New Grants
Total funding awarded PBI over the past two months is $809,000.
- Factor Bioscience, SelfSense and NobleGen Join Incubator
SelfSense, Factor Bioscience and NobleGen join Venture Development Center
- White House Business Council Convenes at Venture Development Center
U.S. Department of Labor Assistant Secretary Jane Oates and Joanne Goldstein, state secretary of Labor and Workforce Development, hosted a roundtable discussion with 20 high-tech and life science executives from the greater Boston area.
- Governor Patrick’s “Dazzled” by Startups at Venture Development Center
Companies headquartered at the UMass Boston Venture Development Center (VDC) played host to Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick.
- UMass Boston Welcomes White House Business Council
U.S. Department of Labor Assistant Secretary Jane Oates met with local high-tech and life science executives at UMass Boston's Venture Development Center.
- UMass Boston Hosts White House Business Council Roundtable
U.S. Department of Labor Assistant Secretary Jane Oates and Joanne Goldstein, state secretary of Labor and Workforce Development, visited the VDC July 28.
- Student CEOs Win Cash, Legal Assistance at UMass Boston
Michael Emery and Kevin Schoenthaler are the first winners of the UMass Boston Entrepreneurship Center’s Business Launch Competition.
- UMass Boston Student-run Startups Compete for Money, Expert Help in Launching Businesses
A dozen student-based startup companies are competing in the first ever Business Launch Competition hosted by the College of Management's Entrepreneurship Center.
- “You Have Dazzled Us”: Governor Patrick Visits Venture Development Center
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick held his monthly cabinet meeting in the Venture Development Center and then toured the VDC with the men and women growing b
- UMass Boston Launches the Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security
UMass Boston's new Collaborative Institute for Oceans, Climate, and Security will work toward addressing the challenges of climate change, altered coastal oceans, and security needs.
- CM’s New Entrepreneurship Center to Help Build the Businesses of Tomorrow
UMass Boston's Entrepreneurship Center makes the school a one-stop destination for entrepreneurs looking to take their business concepts from idea to reality.