Regulations Governing Undergraduates1
|Academic Standing||Description||Consequence||Eligibility for fall and spring semesters4||Eligibility for summer sessions6||Eligibility for Readmission|
|Good Standing||Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher 2||n/a||Yes||Yes||Automatic with Application for Readmission form4|
|Alert||At the end of a student’s first semester at UMass Boston if the GPA is below 2.0.||n/a||Yes||Yes||With approval5|
|Warning||Any semester in which a student’s term GPA is below 2.0 and the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.||n/a||Yes||Yes||Automatic with Application for Readmission form4|
|Probation||At the end of second or subsequent semester, in which a student’s cumulative GPA is below 2.0 3||Cannot hold any official student club or center leadership position or participate on an athletic team.||Yes||Yes||With approval5|
|Extended Probation||After one or more semesters in which a student is on probation. Cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, but the term GPA is at or over 2.3 (based on, at least six credits with grades other than ‘Inc’ ‘P’ or ‘F’). Students may be eligible for multiple semesters on extended probation.3||Same as for probation.||Yes||Yes||With approval5|
|Suspension||If after a semester on probation, a student’s GPA is below 2.0., and doesn’t meet criteria for extended probation.||Ineligible to enroll for a minimum of one semester. Suspension notation made on student’s transcript.||No||Yes||With approval and after one semester of inactive status5|
|Dismissal||Dismissal Dismissal will occur if student does not meet retention standard set by the readmitting authority.||Dismissal notation made on student’s transcript. Ineligible to enroll for a minimum of one year. Ineligible to receive approval for additional transfer courses during absence||No||No||With approval and after one year of inactive status.5|
1. These regulations apply to students in the College of Education and Human Development, College of Liberal Arts, College of Management, College of Public and Community Service, and the College of Science and Mathematics. Students in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences follow an additional set of academic standards, which can be found on their website.
2. Cumulative GPA is calculated based on all UMass Boston grades. Term GPA is calculated based on grades in a given semester. Transfer courses are not factored into the GPA.
3. When a student’s cumulative GPA is below 2.0, the Office of Undergraduate Studies notifies students via email and/or a letter encouraging academic advising. However, it is the student’s responsibility to know his academic standing by checking his grades and transcript on the WISER system.
4. Inactive students wishing to readmit to the university must complete an Undergraduate Readmission Application and pay a fee. However, if an active student withdraws and readmits on the same day, the fee is waived.
5. If a student with a cumulative GPA below 2.0 voluntarily withdraws, his eligibility to enroll in fall or spring courses is not automatic and is subject to approval by the readmitting authority of the student’s college, who may set conditions on the student’s schedule. Students must apply for readmission by their college deadline. See Undergraduate Readmission Application for more information.
6. Provided that the student remains active. Inactive students must apply for readmission.