Office of the Registrar

University Withdrawal

Before the Last Day of Classes Requirement 

For the fall and spring semesters you may withdraw from the university before the last day of classes of the semester, although the effective date of withdrawal is that on which all forms are completed, signed, and returned to the Office of the Registrar.

Students withdrawing receive a “W” for each course in which they are enrolled. Failure to complete a withdrawal form will result in the recording of the grade of “F” for all courses at the end of the term.

Before withdrawing from the university:

Graduate Students

Statute of Limitations Policy

Earning a master's or doctoral degree or a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study signifies mastery of one's chosen discipline.  Rather than being merely a collection of courses, a graduate degree requires intense commitment to scholarship and practice within a specific period of time. Such focus and coherence is lost if the degree is not completed within in a reasonable time period. Therefore, each program requires that students complete their course of study within designated time limits.

Each program has established its own time limit, approved by faculty governance. If you fail to complete a program within that established time limit, you will be subject to dismissal. Specific information about time limits is available from each program office.  In exceptional cases, an extension of the time limit may be recommended by the graduate program director and granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies. In such cases, you must submit a request to the graduate program director with a letter of explanation accompanied by a detailed schedule for completion. A letter from your graduate program director concurring with the request must be submitted to the Dean of Graduate Studies with your request.

Continuous Registration/Program Fee

Each degree-seeking graduate student must maintain continuous registration until the degree sought by the student has been formally awarded. If in any semester, for any reason, the student does not register for course, thesis or dissertation credits, he/she may maintain continuous registration by registering for the program fee (CAS 600).