Initiative for Maximizing Student Development
Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD) at UMass Boston
IMSD is a year-round, research-intensive, skill-building mentoring program for undergraduates interested in pursuing research careers in the biomedical sciences.
Become part of our community of IMSD Scholars. Apply today!
Funded by a grant from the National Institutes of Health, IMSD aims to increase diversity among PhD-level researchers in biomedical fields.
The program provides:
- Year-round research opportunities in laboratories at UMass Boston and other partnering institutions
- Hourly wages for research
- Funding for research supplies
- Preparation for PhD programs and support in the application process
- Tuition coverage
- Research skills training, career development workshops, support to attend national meetings, and other opportunities
- A community of student and faculty scholars
- Close mentoring by faculty advisors
- Networking opportunities
IMSD is open to all students who:
- Are enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at UMass Boston
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or above
- Are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Aspire to pursue a PhD in fields with biomedical relevance
- Are enrolled at UMass Boston for at least the next 12 months or more.
The following are encouraged to apply:
- Individuals belonging to racial or ethnic groups underrepresented in the sciences
- Individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, including first-generation college students
- Individuals with disabilities
For more information, contact:
IMSD Program Office: Room 5140, 5th floor ISC
Rachel Skvirsky, Co-director
Adán Colón-Carmona, Co-director