In addition to supporting collaborative projects funded through the U54, the SSMC serves as a research incubator – a centralized resource for junior investigators from both institutions who are looking for help fleshing out promising research ideas and moving those ideas to the point of successful funding.
Through this mechanism the Core will offer the following services:
- Review of research ideas and assistance to improve impact, feasibility, rigor and fundability.
- Facilitation of access to other resources in the U54 partnership and the larger UMB and DF/HCC communities.
- Consultation on study design, including experimental design, sampling, instrument design and evaluation, data collection methodologies, logistical planning, and project management.
- Consultation on statistical aspects of sample frames, power analyses, sample size determination, weighting of samples, selection of data analytic approach, psychometric evaluation and use of statistical applications.
- Consultation on the design, conduct, and analysis of qualitative research.
- Consultation regarding database design and construction.
- Consultation regarding regulatory compliance, including IRB submissions and study-specific consent procedures.
- Assistance with research proposal development and submission.
- Assistance with manuscript preparation.