The UMass Boston IT Department is offering a series of workshops on the tech tools and services we support. Classes are scheduled to be convenient to your schedule, while offering an intensive look at the topic. Attendance isn't required for all sessions in a series, but if you do attend the whole series, you will receive a certificate of completion.
Full attendance is NOT required.
Learn about the tools and services supported by UMass Boston to help you be more productive at work. Learn how to put your content online, share files, and collaborate with colleagues!
- June 15th 1:00 - 2:30 Voice & Video Presentations with VoiceThread!
- June 16th 1:00 - 2:30 Amazing Presentations with Prezi!
- June 17th 1:00 - 2:30 Document Collaboration with Xythos!
- June 18th 1:00 - 2:30 Google Docs, Calendars, & more with Google Apps!
- June 19th 1:00 - 2:30 Web Publishing with Wikis & Blogs!
- *After each class: 5 tech tools in 5 minutes! Come to all 5 days for 25 total tools!
Come learn about high performance computing resources and services supported by UMass Boston Research Computing. Learn about the systems available, how to access them and work productively and efficiently. We will also cover basic Linux skills and bash scripting, indispensable skills for anyone working on Linux systems.
- June 15th 1:00 - 3:00 Introduction to local HPC resources
- June 16th 10:00 - 12:00 Introduction to the GHPCC
- June 17th 10:00 - 12:00 Introduction to Linux
- June 18th 10:00 - 12:00 Bash shell scripting
- June 19th 10:00 - 12:00 Drop-in workshop
Learn all about Excel, from basic usage to advanced functions and techniques. Many people know excel by picking it up over the course of years, but taking a comprehensive series like this will truly make you an expert!
- June 22nd 1:00 - 3:00 Intro to Excel
- June 23rd 1:00 - 3:00 Charting and Data Visualization
- June 24nd 1:00 - 3:00 Databases using Excel
- June 25nd 1:00 - 3:00 Excel Formulas and Functions
- June 26nd 1:00 - 3:00 Excel for Document Design
Learn how to use UMass Boston's Learning Management System (LMS) Blackboard Learn to add online elements to face-to-face courses or facilitate fully-online courses.
- July 14nd 10:00 - 12:00 Intro to Blackboard
- July 14nd 1:00 - 3:00 Creating Accessible Content
- July 15nd 10:00 - 12:00 Intro to Blackboard
- July 15nd 1:00 - 3:00 Mastering the Grade Center
- July 16nd 10:00 - 11:00 Assignments and Plagiarism Detection
- July 16nd 11:00 - 12:00 Groups and Collaborative Projects
- July 16nd 1:00 - 3:00 Tests and Ensuring Academic Integrity
Learn PowerPoint in depth with this two-day series covering basic through advanced topics that will give your presentation a professional polish. Learn the do's and don'ts of using PowerPoint effectively during your presentation.
- July 20th 10:00 - 12:00 Introduction to PowerPoint
- July 20th 1:00 - 3:00 Transitions & Animations
- July 21st 10:00 - 12:00 Inserting Audio and Video
- July 21st 1:00 - 3:00 Make Your Point with PowerPoint
Did you know software that like Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere and Acrobat Pro XI are available to faculty and staff for a huge discount? Come to this series to learn how to use some of the powerful Adobe tools.
- July 27th 1:00 - 3:00 Intro to Adobe Acrobat Pro
- July 28th 1:00 - 3:00 Intro to Photoshop
- July 29th 1:00 - 3:00 Photo Editing & Manipulation
- July 30th 1:00 - 3:00 Intro to Flash
- July 31st 1:00 - 3:00 Animation with Flash
- Aug. 3rd 1:00 - 3:00 Photoshop for Web Editors
- Aug. 4th 1:00 - 3:00 Web Photography